Author Topic: Formerly: The Remix DoM Project!?! Now general KF discourse.  (Read 16958 times)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Formerly: The Remix DoM Project!?! Now general KF discourse.
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 10:23:31 pm »
On the origins of the Moonlight... I've only played KF4 in Japanese, but from what I could understand about the story, it seemed to basically be a prequel (long long ago) with no connection to the other games, other than possibly the origins of the Moonlight. It sounds like I have a chip in this game I'm sure, but really I've never played a KF game for the macro story. If anything KF4 failed me because the atmosphere never sucked me in. Also I didn't understand the final boss/area, or what the moonlight was doing there frankly (there was definitely no mention of Seath or Geara I can recall)

I play games in Japanese so I don't have to be subjected to their predictably paltry stories :twisted:

I know enough Japanese to know what I'm supposed to be doing, and when something is important and when it isn't :lol:

Offline Hguols

• Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2009, 11:28:21 pm »
I ended up eating a banana instead.

I hadn't had a banana in a while either...

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009, 11:39:26 pm »
Very nice info John, though I think youre right, most of those text blocks don't actually appear in the game ( I will check into that this weekend on my trip, yay for portable KF).  That is cool information to have for certain, I wish I had a way to see all the text.

As for Alf?  I am not sure what you mean by that?  Alexander is not king alfred....did they really call him Alf in japan?  What lyle does in the end of KF3 is definitely finishing the job that alexander started by eliminating the other side of the bad seed, but really guyra and seath have nothing to do with john alfred's story of KF1(other than him getting the sword).

And for agetec's translation....well to each their own, but I will always be referring to information laid forth in the games I played in the US translation.  I love the lore and stories they put into the game, even if they aren't 100% translations.  I think Mark at agetec would probably say that they made the story better in his eyes when they translated, a feat I am pretty certain that team is proud of.

So with the new info you guys are bringing to my attention, I will have to modify a bit of the storyline I have posted in the DD section of the main site....but thats ok, it is merely the history section, nothing really to do with DD itself.  Thankfully nothing posted thus far is contradicted in DD that I am aware of.

Keep the cool shit coming!  I love reading this stuff.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 01:53:08 am »
So far, everything I've compared between the original Japanese games and Agetec's localizations have been close to identical- with the exception of the Moonlight Sword's origin and I think 'Dragon Warrior' became ' the Dragon Warriors'.

The translations (especially KF1 [USA]) are certainly EngRish in places. I'm guessing that Agetec paid a native Japanese speaker who didn't have a full grasp of the nuances of English to translate the game. After all, am I the only one who thinks the Cyclops has a 'Cyclops Collar' and not a 'Psycpros Collar'?

I'm guessing you (HolyDiver) are thinking the protagonist's name from KF1 (USA) phonetically 'Alefu' was short for 'Alfred'? He was actually a separate person who was Alfred's friend.

DMP: The KF games store text in as TIM graphics (they're similar to a BMP). You can see them all by scanning the individual files on the CD with a program like TimViewer. Here's a link to the files if you'd rather save the effort:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KWDJTUMP
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7GCR7KHM

TimViewer:
http://www.zophar.net/utilities/psxutil/tim-viewer.html

Hguols: Are you sure that what you haven't had in awhile was a banana SLUG!!!!!

OK I've officially aided and abetted the hijacking of this thread . . . [flees forum in shame]

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 02:46:30 am »
Alf is just Alexander's name in the original game. It's either short for Alfred, or the name itself has shortened over generations (it's common for men in a family to have the same name gen to gen after all... and the Japanese think it's enduring to shorten every two syllable word to one, and every more than two syllables to two!)

Btw, could that TIM viewer software get at the item/objects/etc textures that come with SoM??

----

The translations do smell fishy to me. It could be fine, but it just doesn't feel right. I would encourage you to base any continuations of the US games on the US games of course! I wouldn't even try to correlate that with the original games, because you technically can't. It would also be cool to make a version that is true to the originals, and a Japanese version for that matter... but that's all more kettles of monkeys or whatever~

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2009, 04:29:58 am »
TimViewer will extract and insert the textures from the MDL files used in SoM. My work on KFJap is actually how I happened to recognize the TIM header embedded in one of SoM's MDL files.
------
I had always thought that Alexander's Japanese name was Aleph but I see how that could be Alf. I've definitely run into the Japanese love of shortening words into slang terms like 'cara' for character or 'anime' for animation.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2009, 05:05:05 am »
^No, you're right... it is Aleph, or Alef?? Weird, I never actually payed attention. I just assumed it was Alf like Alfred. Alef is a weird name I think (in this context) but what's canon is canon, amen...

As much as I love KF... it's probably technically my favorite game. I've never really nerded out about it. It's just not one of those kinds of series that evokes that sort of special form of tribalism. Of course now that we have SoM though... that is a different story :twisted:

I can see why the switcheroo to Alexander now. Though were it my job, I would've gone with Alf :P

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2009, 11:16:45 pm »
I noticed that conveniently in my data/item/model/bmp/ folder  ton of textures already appear to be extracted from the mdl files by someone (202 bmps to be exact :twisted: )

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2009, 12:53:09 am »
^I'm all confused now...

I made a replacement texture for the Forest Armor (from the KF1 remake) ...from the bmp texture that somehow got into my repository.

Now I find out that only some items seem to use MDL files (which are the only ones I can get Timviewer to work with, and not all the time)

Presumably other items use TXR files. Anyway, I also noticed the Forest Armor seems to be broken up into 3 or 4 models (mdo) though it shares a texture.

I recon those bmp files must've come from somewhere. So is there anyway we know of I can insert my new texture in place of  the forest armor texture? I'm sure the responsible thing to do would be to make a new prof and armor set (copied from the forest armor) ....but I'd just like to see this work real quick if we know how :roll:

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2009, 01:29:10 am »
Yay! I did it... the trick was to use the bmp2txr tool. Then just copy that over the .txr file in the models directory.

The texture looks pretty damn good... especially considering I could only guess at what would find its way where :twisted:

PS: In case anyone is curious... I basically made the Forest Armor match that cool scaly helmet (open helm number 1 or 2)