Author Topic: Formerly: The Remix DoM Project!?! Now general KF discourse.  (Read 16956 times)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
First off, I've been given permission to remix Tom's DoM. If you don't know what that is... how dare you?? :twisted:

Second off, if I have any say, this website is gonna need an official DoM board... cause I'm gonna be bringin it back from the dead...

Also, if you don't mind the remix being somewhat spoiled, I'm happy to discuss the project, and even make changes democratically (and even take on help)

But the primary objective of this thread, is to help me out along my way. In here will be more DoM oriented questions. If I have a more general SoM question, it will show up elsewhere. So Tom being the top authority, might wanna check in here now and then (I will try to mark spoilers as much as possible so Tom won't feel like he knows the remix as well as he must know DoM when it finally comes time to play it)

Anyway... first stumpage up to bat. I've moved the starting point for the first map. But the warp point is still there (for you know what) ...and for now I'm leaving it there. But I noticed when I bumped into it (on accident) the level greeting info (title and music) still popped up. So I thought to myself... groovy... better move that. Instead of putting it at the new start point though... for the purpose of dramatics, I situated it at the mouth of a new cave I've made, that opens up into the starting field (and first appearance of monsters)

Only prob is, the event no longer fires when I walk over it, and I've done everything I can think of to make it do so.

Rather than trying to recreate the greeting event, I re-bound it to a new object (which is unique to the map) ...an object I called False Starting Point (cleverly enough)

Anyway, it ain't workin' :evil:

PS: I'm wondering if it's possible to change music with a triggered event, or if that is just stuck per map (edited: nvm: see change bgm event)

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
Formerly: The Remix DoM Project!?! Now general KF discourse.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 01:35:57 am »
you can change music, the event is called "change bgm" and the parameter is simply a song located in the BGM folder.

list the event setup here for your starting area message display and we can troubleshoot it for you.

----I am sad I didn't get the SOM tutorial done before your project, I would have liked to see if it would have been useful---
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 04:44:06 am »
Bummer... tuns out (near as I can tell) the weight of non-weapon equipment is completely useless, unless you have the max-weight option enabled in the System editor... in which case you can't equip a drop over the max weight. Still there is no movement slow down or anything, and no event driven way to access weight....

There is the hard turning / walking / running settings as well. But they're equally heavy handed. Probably if someone was nuts (or really knew what they were doing) a gameshark style patch could be devised that linked your weight to these values somehow... updated by an event. But that is out of my league.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 01:35:54 pm »
I have a question... do you think it is appropriate to question the wisdom of KF's lack of a dark magic alignment (did KFIV have one?? I can't recall)

Is really, any type of magic more or less unholy in KF? And does that make the non-holy-magic users heretics to the holy empire or whatever? Or is the Holy magic really just Light magic, and the protagonists peoples culture just considers Light Holy? Holiness is relative after all is it not? Of course this is all standard RPG fair... if anything, KF not having a Dark alignment is virtually a novelty. But sometimes it seems to create more problems than it's worth.

I assumed past games just lacked an explicit Dark alignment because it was considered a monster only characteristic (the Dark Slayer being a sort of odd man out... it's Dark stat hidden so to speak) ...But since SoM has no Dark alignment even for monsters, I dunno.

I have to wonder if that is a tradition worth upholding... but since the subject in here is DoM, which isn't KF persay... and since DoM is heavily cast in terms of light and dark... I'm considering making the Pierce ("Stab" via John) alignment Light, and the Holy alignment Dark. I don't think that would cause too many probs technically, because piercing weapons really don't factor into the game (especially without arrows) ...the only real prevalent  pierce is Kayef's Arrow (aka Light Needle)

I'm thinking about withholding Kayef's Arrow until very late in the game anyway ironically... because it is such an abusable  instrument. In DoM proper it doesn't even have Holy status actually (properties in front of me)

I'm also thinking to take out all the Rapiers except for the sword I will add to the Light Armor set, which will use a Rapier model. A Rapier in the traditional sense is really not a super useful weapon anyway unless you're aiming for specific targets.

Anyhow, I'm thinking about it~

PS: Of course technically, as I understand it, the Dark Slayer is the opposite of the Moonlight... so maybe the opposite of a one alignment sword is all the other alignments (which would include Dark if it exists) ...but what the hell do I know??? :twisted:

Offline Hguols

• Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 03:49:00 pm »
As for the Dark Slayer, there's a similar sword in DoM with similar stats.  Basically to utilize the "darkness" of Vobiscum Satanis (the sword in DoM that uses the dark slayer model and is in fact the strongest sword in the game) was very high Physical, Earth, Fire, Wind and Water attributes, (same with the swords spell, Ravenna Strigoi Mortii) and absolute 0s when it comes to light.

If you want to utilize different attribute names in the game, get your old hex editor out and replace instances of what you want changed to what you want to change it to in the GAME.EXE

Done correctly, you could make "light" or 'holy" in the menu into "dark" or "energy"....   The sky's the limit.

If I could turn "HP" into "Trismegistus" and MP into "Solves" for my latest game, I'm sure you could replace the magic name to whatever you want.

Oh, and when you use the "change BGM" event, be sure to click that "loop" option, or else it will just play the song one time - then silence....

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 04:08:37 pm »
^Yeah, I realize I could hex edit it, otherwise I wouldn't be considering doing it :P

I pretty much understand the ins and outs of SoM at this point. The expansion toolkit though is still beyond me experience wise (just something I'll feel like cracking into sooner or later) ...however I think probably have a good idea of what the extra tools won't be able to make SoM do. Of course I get this stuff technically (or I wouldn't be doing the re-make) ...but it takes time to acclimate to the idiosyncrasies of any system designed more for machines to interpret than people (and in this case... people who made some odd -- and half-ass-to-make-a-buck -- decisions I would not have :twisted:)

Offline Hguols

• Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 08:29:21 pm »
*Picks nose*
*flicks a booger*

Huh?  Wha....  Expansion toolkit?

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 09:19:47 pm »
Personally I don't go with 'holy' magic, i prefer calling it light as in the element light.  Hence flash, lightning volt etc.

I am putting dark magic in DD, hehe but I guess now that I think of it the main character is a bad guy...so I dunno.

Seath and Guyra both cast a variety of magics, some of which are definitely light based.

I like to think only really strong magicians can master light and dark, and the wannabes (thedeck and shudom) can only master a certain element.

Many of the truth glass secrets in KF1 and KF2 signify the blunders of those two archmages, and especially thedeck's human flaw of lust for power.

For Orladin he was a master beyond that of any other mage, and for the forester family they were infused in their blood line to have the light magic mastery.

As for Alexander, he was just very talented, and in the lore of melanat lies the ability for magic users to utilize the rare crystals on the island to master all the elements.  Which is why Harvine, Shudom and Thedeck went there..to hone and expand their magical power.

If you need a dark crystal model, let me know.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 01:45:53 am »
Quote from: Hguols
*Picks nose*
*flicks a booger*

Huh?  Wha....  Expansion toolkit?

From' released a bunch of expanded tools somewhere down the line... I'm sure your aware of them??

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 01:53:28 am »
About DD, this is the wrong topic obviously... but I always thought that Alf was a bit of an anti-hero, or foolish hero or whatever. He ends up using the Dark Slayer to slay Geara... which to me seems more or less in line with what Necron was doing?? Or maybe the years since I played have eroded my memory. I vaguely remember the first time I played thru the ASCII version when I was a wee one. And I'm pretty sure I played thru KF2 again at some point. And KF3 for that matter. I think those replays were still the English games. One of the few games in my collection my brother did not sell for drug money while I was in Japan...

Anyway, I imported KF2, Froms' version... but I never got around to playing it. I was going to grab the Darkside boxset (including KF1) before I saw all the games on the Japanese PSN. Which I will probably settle for. I will eventually probably play KF2 after I finish KF1. I will try to pay some attention to the story, but I always have general difficulty following Fromsoftware's games in Japanese. The language is always sophisticated, and the plot very cryptic (when there is any)

Anyway, I was going to ask in your DD project if you were going to play the lead (Necron) heroically or  sympathetically or what... even though a KF game has yet to have multiple endings (other than hidden ones) and a prequel like DD is pretty much a set ending however you like it. I guess I will just find out when I get to play your game~

PS: Please move this to an appropriate DD thread :twisted:

PPS: I think I will be adding a Dark Crystal to DoM as it turns out. I saw a Dark Crystal in the SoM set... though it looks a little funky. But if it matches a pedestal I'll probably stick with it (probably change the texture if I can)