Author Topic: When playing SoM games, are you using a gamepad?  (Read 4640 times)

Offline 8bitninja

• Bow Bearer
When playing SoM games, are you using a gamepad?
« on: December 18, 2011, 06:55:03 am »
Well, are you? I really want to since the keyboard controls seems stiffer than a KF1 skeleton and circling enemies is a pain in the arse. A playstation pad maybe would be ideal but the most hassle-free one (unless you buy a specific PC gamepad) would probably be the wired 360-controller. What are you guys using and how does it feel?
Let strength be granted so the world might be mended.

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
Re: When playing SoM games, are you using a gamepad?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 12:26:33 pm »
Wolf usually posts about these things, but hes been a bit busy at the moment.

I hope he doesnt mind me quoting him;

Re: Holey red slime fix

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 03:51:00 PM »

SoM is setup to be played with your right hand on the keyboard's number pad and your left hand on tab/space etc.
1,3 turn and 5,2 move forward/back; 4,6 strafe sideways; so to circle around, you push 1+6, or 3+4.

Also, you probably already know, but you can push Tab while looking at an item in the ingame menu and see its stats.
Might be good for the 'controls' section in your readme.

I use Joy2Key with an xbox360 controller for SoM so I get to enjoy the standard dual joystick control setup. 

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 12:47:07 pm »
i recommend the wired xbox controller for sure, ive tried about 5 controllers and its by far my favorite...and im not an xbox fan :P
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline scott

• Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 06:36:43 pm »
I've always been just fine using the numpad, but thats just me.
Yeah, I'm still around. I haven't much to say anymore however I do lurk around here. :ninja:

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 08:47:22 pm »
Todd can you get a ps controller to use with the pc? Checked some vids on YT before and wasnt sure.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 11:34:49 pm »
I wouldnt say its impossible but I wouldnt have a clue how.  There are a lot of PS controller clones out there and most are relatively cheap...logitech i know makes some that work soso, my main problem is that most PC controllers for whatever reason have pretty poor analgo controllers.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Mord of Swoonlight

• Lord Veyrac's Illegitimate Son
  • Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 12:49:21 am »
For what it's worth, I've always used a PS2 controller with the SOM games.  It just doesn't feel right otherwise.   :cool:

I got a PS2-to-USB adapter a while back as a present, and things work well with that.  I have to change some of the button settings in-game to get it to do what I want (i.e. switching the assignments for strafe and look up, etc), but that was pretty minimal.  I haven't tried it yet, but I imagine you could use a PS3 controller through the USB cable as well. 

Offline Demifiend

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 12:15:18 pm »
You can buy one of them USB Controllers on amazon for $8. They are the same exact dimensions of a ps2 controller.

I tend to use my keyboard for most gaming though