Author Topic: Forum Move  (Read 1459 times)

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
Forum Move
« on: October 06, 2011, 01:11:24 pm »
Im going to try to move the forums early Saturday morning Eastern Standard Time, so they will probably be down from about 6am-8am whilest I figure everything out.  If I am successful this board should be back on the /bbs url of the old forum with everything in tact, if not the down time may be longer or you will see the forum come back up here.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
Re: Forum Move
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 04:09:07 pm »
Sorry folks the move didnt happen yet, anyone even mind if i just relink the main page etc to this new forum addy and leave the old one as a redirect?
Site Founder

Offline Guyra

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 04:53:04 pm »
Might as well. Don't see any reason not to do it this way, it's much easier. :)

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 06:06:46 pm »
No worries that way for me. What happened? :smash2::biggrin:

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 07:04:18 pm »
Well here is what Im into.

The backend of ipower has an smf installer, which was used to install the old forum.  The only way to upgrade a 1.x install to 2.0 is with an installer kit that smf provides, the thing is, with the custom skins etc that were on the old forum, it was blowing everything up when i tried to convert it.

fast forward, i install a fresh 2.0 from scratch, then did a bunch of sql to move the information manually from the 1.x to the 2.0 standard, which included a lot of index header changes and blah blah blah blah.

Now, ipower has a backend utility to move a forum from one location to the other, the trouble is, to make this forum work , I had to manually adjust many things to point back to the old /bbs directory, such as attachments and so on, else write some sort of snazzy sql to convert all instaces to point at bbs1 (something I dont think I can manage personally).  So the pickle I have is the directory structure of 2.0 differs greatly from that of 1.x, and if i use the utility to move everything back it will overwrite and append the new directory structure and likely break lots of stuff, including attachments etc and I would have to start over and fix it all by hand.

So if you guys dont mind, ill just fix the front end of the site and keep the link here.  The added benefit is the bbs1 link is not currently on any spam list so its not getting 100s of fake automatic sign up visitors a day (it will eventually) and that gives us time to perfect some anti spam control.

Unless someone has a major issue with it (the real only defecit is losing some of the google analytic crap that no one cares about) I will go ahead and plan to put a redirect on bbs to here and swap the main page etc with the new link.
Site Founder

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 04:02:13 pm »
I don't see a problem with the new forum location. Thank you for all that work Todd. If you do ever get the hankering to switch back to 'bbs', I'd be happy to do the work to see it comes out right. just let me know :wink: