Author Topic: Demon's Souls....  (Read 4663 times)

Offline Hguols

• VIP
  • Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
Demon's Souls....
« on: September 09, 2011, 11:58:20 am »
A nice wedding present from my mother in law....  Hands me a PS3 and 21 games.  This being my first experience with a modern gaming system, it took some getting used to.

Got to admit, I've been an Oblivion junky for the past few weeks.  Its quite a bit like King's Field actually, I think.

I picked up Demon's Souls, expecting a little too much like King's Field, and I HATED it.  I thought it was linear, revolved around loss and more frustrating than difficult.  After talking with some friends about how they did on the game, and how it SHOULD be played, I started to get into it.

After I beat the first area, things really started to fall into place.  Now I see the King's Field in the gameplay (thought the atmosphere was always there) and I have a different attitude about the game.

I'm not that far, I'm a Soul Level 17, but things are going well.  I'm probably going to be playing this for quite some time....  especially since the character can level up to....  712?

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.

Offline scott

• Capricorn Crusher
Re: Demon's Souls....
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 02:07:00 pm »
Got to admit, I've been an Oblivion junky for the past few weeks.  Its quite a bit like King's Field actually, I think.

I've had Oblivion for about a year and a half and I still play it, lol. As soon as Skyrim (The sequel to oblivion) comes out I just may drop off the face of the earth for a few days. As for Demons souls I've never played it. All I got is a ps2 just collecting dust.
Yeah, I'm still around. I haven't much to say anymore however I do lurk around here. :ninja:

Offline Guyra

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 04:42:33 pm »
Oblivion is a fantastic game, and so is its predecessor, Morrowind. Also looking forward to the sequel, Skyrim. :)

And still wanting to play Demon's Souls... (No PS3.)

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 07:18:30 pm »
Most console games these days are annoyingly linear- caused by console hardware limitations, laziness, and the fact that many games use engines that are focused around linear construction (unreal etc). Red Faction Armageddon was a huge letdown after Guerrilla because it went with the standard 'rat in a maze' mode. It takes away the sense of exploration which was a huge part of what I liked about KF.

I'm looking forward to Skyrim too, bloodmoon just didn't do justice to the Nords like morrowind did for the Dunmer. I liked Oblivion quite a bit too, but there were a few significant problems like everything leveled up with you which took away a sense of accomplishment and I still remember being bummed when I got the unbreakable lock pick after having dumped a lot of levels into the lockpicking skill.

If anyone is interested, Bethesda was giving away free copies of Arena and Daggerfall last I heard- both should run good with dosbox. Also, Arkane studios (makers of Arx Fatalis) merged with Bethesda and are making a game called Dishonored if anyone is interested.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 07:56:06 pm »
Definitely interested thanks for the tip.

Tom, add me on your psn - dmpdesign - i can probably help you beat up some bosses if you get stuck.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 07:19:45 am »
Well Guyra at least you can play Dark Souls in a month.  :rainbow:

Offline Guyra

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 02:38:34 pm »
Well Guyra at least you can play Dark Souls in a month.  :rainbow:
That's true. :D And changed where I preordered it because I found a Norwegian store that was cheaper. :)

Offline scott

• Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 09:28:16 pm »

I'm looking forward to Skyrim too, bloodmoon just didn't do justice to the Nords like morrowind did for the Dunmer.

ah, bloodmoon. That brings back memories. I was at the point I was 1 hit killing everything so I started using the nord leg weapon, lol! Let's hope Bethesda dosn't cheep out on voice actors this time.

(Ranting starts) I hate how everyone sounds the same. Nords and orcs sound the same, thres something wrong with that. All the mer have the same voice actors (not 100% sure on this but its close). Each race should have it's own male and female voice actor. Graahhh, Khajiits and Argonians should not even sound close to each other, that angered me the most. (Ranting ends. Just feel lucky I don't get started on other topics as well, lol)
Yeah, I'm still around. I haven't much to say anymore however I do lurk around here. :ninja:

Offline Guyra

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 06:35:10 pm »
Oh, I forgot I had ordered Demon's Souls at the same time as I preordered Dark Souls! xD So I got that today, yay! :D Now I just need a PS3 to play it on... :/

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 06:00:40 am »
Its worth playing Demons souls, i had ground my way to level 90 before facing the final boss with my suped up weapons. Its worth taking your time on such a game - second playthroughs arent the same as your first.  :rainbow: