Author Topic: PRF Editor v1.6  (Read 28832 times)

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
Re: PRF Editor
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 06:40:07 pm »
Glad you're finding it useful :)
Yes, you can use additional new swing animations if you make a swing arm with extra animations. To use swing animation #4, you would enter '4' there and so on. Have you managed to make a new arm model that works yet?

TXRs are large because they're uncompressed, but because they're uncompressed, they get a lot smaller when you zip/rar them. I would expect about a 50%-70% size decrease when zipped. Whereas a zipped JPG will be almost the same size as the original. You could also pack your textures with a compressor that is optimized for pictures (see here).

You can also make your source BMP 256 color which will drastically reduce the TXR size; most textures don't use more than 256 different colors anyways.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 07:35:43 pm by HwitVlf »

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2011, 08:23:29 am »
Thats quite a drastic drop in KB to be honest and the colour loss isnt very significant. I didnt know txr files compressed so well!

Btw that wall looks familiar...  :dazed:  :biggrin:

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2011, 08:13:10 pm »
John, would now be a good time to revisit your sky maker kit with the new texture maker?  Could we pull off something that didnt need split into so many pieces to get a nice looking sky?
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2011, 08:47:12 pm »
It should work for the sky-dome.  But we won't know for sure till we try. I don't think we should go too crazy though since the sky model texture is always loaded. A single 2048x2048 is as large as 64  256x256 textures!

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
Npc and enemy textures
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2011, 05:11:49 pm »
It occured to me today that it would be possible to have huge textures for npc and enemy models.

You'd simply convert the model through x2mdl with one 256x256 texture, mapped like a SoM asset - meaning all the textures would be in a single file. Then you'd use John's prf editor and using your high res version of your currently processed 256x256 convert it into txr format. Then you'd use the prf editor and use the external texture option and state the name of it. This would be handy for more complex models like a horseman or something that required more than three textures.

It also means that you can unwrap your models properly now instead of splitting their assets up into pieces.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2011, 06:06:10 pm »
I hadn't considered external TXR texture files for MDLs. That might work depending on how MDL textures are set up. Good thought!

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2011, 04:00:41 pm »
This works perfectly. The small one is a 256x256. Using the method i mentioned before i added a 2048x2048 to drastically up the resolution.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2011, 04:20:56 pm »
You're the man Ben! That's a big improvement to SoM's abilities. It should help us work around some of the problems x2mdl has with multiple textures too since. It also opens the possibility to distributing a game with a high and low resolution texture pack options that people could choose depending on their computer's ability.  The MDLs could have the low-res built in and people could use the hi res TXR overrides or not.

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2011, 06:57:45 pm »
Do you think its possible to have a two-weapon enemy that hits twice during one attack animation? I was thinking... The 'number of hits and hit timing' in the prf editor could help here. It'd be nice to catch players by surprise after they've stepped back to avoid the first hit then get whacked with the second, maybe even with a shield bash.

Just say i made an animation that was 140 frames long, would i need to place the attack timing at 70? I dont want to try this out if it means the attack wont play its full animation or hits only once.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2011, 12:32:28 am »
It seems like there is an enemy or two in SOM that does this, ill have to peek quick and see if im crazy or not
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder