Author Topic: PRF Editor v1.6  (Read 28984 times)

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
PRF Editor v1.6
« on: August 29, 2011, 10:13:31 pm »
PRF files are 'profile' configuration files for Sword of Moonlight.  They are used by Enemies, Objects, Items, NPCs and a few other resource types. They control things such as sounds, spells, attacks, collision shape and much more. This editor currently supports Enemy, Item and Object PRF files and lets you create files from scratch or edit an existing PRF.

The Editor also has some other tools built in such as a TXR  and SND converter. The controls may seem a little complex at first because there are a lot of settings in PRF files,  but you don't have to understand every detail to change an existing Enemy's sounds or other fun customization.  Just load an existing file, tweak something easy and save it under a new name.

Since a big part of the editor needs CPs to work, I made a simple tutorial for setting up CP triangles in enemy models.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRLMKbBCgVI
CP triangles needed for projectile spell and lamp-flame type effect If question post here

« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 02:58:43 pm by HwitVlf »

Offline Creatura

• Austin Lyle Forester
  • Capricorn Crusher
Re: PRF Editor
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 02:57:27 am »
Have you already uploaded this software anywhere?

BTW Great Work. If we had a kudos system I'd give it to you :D

Offline airflamesred

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 08:38:35 am »
Nice work John - video made sense even to me.

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 09:46:37 am »
Hello John! The map templates, do they work with mhm data?

If they do that'd be great. Oh by the way how did you determine the sizes?

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 04:12:30 am »
Updated

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 10:30:48 am »
PRF findings...

In regards to vertex colour triangles, if you create a material just for the vertex colours x2mdl will treat it as a texture, so if you have 3 textures you'l lose one in the model. The way to remedy this is to simply use a material that has a texture in it and apply it to the vertex colour triangles.

Im having trouble with creating spells for my enemy - i can get the noise, the FX all good but no damage. Does anyone know the minimum amount of frames for a spell to do damage? Do i need to add a 'cone' or fireball too?

Finally, for some reason i can only have 2 flames on my model. I tried assigning 4 flames to 4 CP triangles but it didnt work.

Good fun though.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 07:35:43 pm »
Very cool model! That's good to know about using an existing material for the vertex colors.

As far as spells inflicting damage- the behavior of a spell 'FX' is defined in SFX.dat (in \DATA\SFX\MODEL) and not all of them inflict damage- they're just eye candy. So you need to include an FX in your attack that inflicts damage. Best way is to load an existing enemy that uses the damaging FX you want, then copy it to your new enemy.

You can edit FX behavior, or build an entirely new custom FX (like a seeking arrow spell) by hex-editing sfx.dat. If there's enough interest, I might try to add a feature for editing/listing FX to the PRF editor.   

As far as 4 flame CPs, I'm not sure if that's a limitation of SoM or a bug in cpgen. My guess would be it's a problem in cpgen- it seems to list CP triangles in the order of their creation and SoM requires them to be listed in numerical order of their green color.  I know cpgen breaks flame CPs and some spells on SoM's existing models too.

I've also run into the same 'missing parts' problem you had with the skeleton hand, at a much lower polygon count (about 1000 less than your skeleton). Yet I'm able to convert a single object with more polygons than your skeleton (about +1000) with no missing part problems. So it may be a bug in x2mdl also.

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 07:50:58 pm »
I think its a material problem - do any of your models have pure black in them? To test this just fill the black with a bright colour and retry.

I had to manually test / delete / test / delete cp readings in the prf editor. I got 4 flames. Anyway i went a bit further.
After hours of testing i came up with this...

http://youtu.be/VEpVzfzi_w0

Excuse the low fps!
Theres an even cooler one that'l be used as a trap but it'l wait!  :wink:

Thanks alot John making the spells was alot of fun.

Offline scott

• Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 09:03:29 pm »
May I ask if you have Oblivion and downloaded the Lost Spires mod? The floating, legless bone body and the horned skull... it looks a lot like a warlock. I'm not saying its bad, it looks great. I'm just wondering...
Yeah, I'm still around. I haven't much to say anymore however I do lurk around here. :ninja:

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 07:41:19 am »
No i havent played it i got the knights of the nine add-on with my game and thats all i bothered with.

I'll probably end up replicating something that looks similiar to another games' enemy or etc but thats not my intent - i dont play many modern games anymore so i dont know whats out there.