Author Topic: Noob wanting to make a game  (Read 30898 times)

Offline sirtuftcat

• Silvarion Slasher
Re: Noob wanting to make a game
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2011, 01:43:27 am »
Oki  heres My very first custom set for my game.. Its the beginning armor and the most primative also.. that way peeps ll think i made it this way on purpose.. wait. i did.. err nevermind :doh:

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2011, 06:03:52 am »
These look very much like items from the old first kf games. Congrats! A very good first set.

With any art or 3d modelling, dont forget that you progress as you try different styles and functions. When creating a primitive, choose segment (in the blue box window options) to smooth off the mesh. This way you'l get a smoother mesh and more 'faces' to play around with. Dont go too crazy on segmenting, especially on weapons - more faces means more 'vertices' and more vertices mean more memory usage. This affects SoM too.

So, in regards to texturing, i can help you or anyone else with that in a much further way. When you're ready, i can explain texturing better to you.

Offline airflamesred

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2011, 09:05:04 am »
Good start.

Offline sirtuftcat

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2011, 03:04:52 pm »
Illdefinitly wanna play with textures. Ive Started messing with segments if only a lil...

got another question...  i wanna make an item transparant but want to see another item inside of it.. for example the magic crystals in the ancient city. I know how to make an item seem transparent but i cant see the smaller denser item inside.. is there a way do do that either in mesq or another program?  or do i need a certain texture or alpha file or what? 

Ty fer all ur help soo far xdd

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2011, 04:51:53 pm »
In SoM, the diffuse channel is transparency. To check out what it'l look like, use the alpha channel and set your diffusion to about 25 in the materials panel.

Offline sirtuftcat

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2011, 06:08:32 pm »
will i need to drop the alpha also or just the diffuse?

Also  having a problem with converting files to mdo.. it keeps saying d3drm.dll is missing .. i tried to install a dll on my comp but when i tried runing regsv it said the dll may not be compatable with something (86)  any solutions on how to get the program working or perhaps another program to convert the files to mdo,txr prf ect??
 lol nvr mind  fixed it.. all i had to do was download dll ,stick it in the som tool folder then click an open with thingy xd
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 02:40:13 am by sirtuftcat »

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2011, 06:43:12 am »
When i created a flask, i used the alpha channel to see what it'd look like, and i left it as it was when i converted to mdo, so dont worry, if you get stuck with the files, check out this bottles material settings, the second and third materials are the "transparent" ones.

Offline scott

• Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2011, 09:22:59 am »
Thank you sooooooooo much verdite. This is quite enjoyable now that I know what I'm doing, lol. I started with the dagger, and later changed it into a sword. I also have a blade shield. It was kinda an accident, lol. When looking at the sides of the shield they where a bit thin. Well I think I'm off to make a staff or two now...
Yeah, I'm still around. I haven't much to say anymore however I do lurk around here. :ninja:

Offline airflamesred

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2011, 10:32:52 am »
Just a little tip for you guys to get some thickness quite easily is to do do the basic shape in 2d and clone/extrude. If you haven't seen it try this
http://swordofmoonlight.com/bbs/index.php/topic,464.80.html

The part itself is of no use but the technique really useful.

Offline sirtuftcat

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2011, 02:44:55 pm »
ohhh pretty items...  I like xd

:mad: ok im following the conversion tutorial but im not getting anything appearing on som preview or in the test map..  somethings not working right.. also i create the prf file and som sees it but i cant see it when i browse the som prof folder.. what am i doing wrong? does the 3d size need to be smaller or is there some other hex editor thing i need to do??

I found the file but i had to click compataibility files to find it.. is there a different save method i need to do? grr this is frusterating

I think the prf is oki .. the item is listed but not showing up in the 3d window.. maybe a graphics problem? a setting i missed in the 3d creating process?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 04:36:39 pm by sirtuftcat »