Author Topic: Noob wanting to make a game  (Read 30889 times)

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
Re: Noob wanting to make a game
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2011, 08:14:42 pm »
You know, that makes perfect sense, I forgot all about the versioning and the old hidden files.

I think youre right Wolf, we should do an installer pack instead, however i may construct an svn for use between myself a nd a few other guys that may want to revise some of the older customs into newer ones and keep the older versions safe somewhere...incase we ever get any collaborative SOM projects going.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline sirtuftcat

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2011, 05:00:05 pm »
Well so far so good for the most part  im close to completing my temple .. well the basics of it anyway.. one issue i ran into... 

The test map is starting to give me screen flickers when i enter the menu or the game gives me text to read...  anyone know the reason for that and/or how to counter that? or is it just something that happens as events and item/objects/npc and such are added and start to pile up?

Offline sirtuftcat

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2011, 05:35:45 pm »
more info... it seemedto start up after i was done programing the npc.. there was a lot of programming there..
unless its a coincidence idk lol
 :doh:

Offline sirtuftcat

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2011, 06:05:03 pm »
 :doh: :biggrin: Nvr mind  did a reboot of comp and that cleared the problem right up

Offline scott

• Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2011, 11:26:04 am »
the flickering is caused by having more windows open(as far as I know...). I've gotten used to it though because I normaly leave notepad up when I'm testing the map.
Yeah, I'm still around. I haven't much to say anymore however I do lurk around here. :ninja:

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2011, 06:09:33 pm »
I had never experienced that so thanks for the fix Scott. Does this work for you sirtuftcat?

http://swordofmoonlight.com/somwiki/index.php?title=Sword_of_Moonlight:Troubleshooting

Offline sirtuftcat

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2011, 06:20:10 pm »
yeah it got cleared up  just needed a healthy reeboot

Offline sirtuftcat

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2011, 04:57:42 pm »
update.. got the basic skeleton map and programing of the temple done.. its definitly shaping up to be the games main piece  . eventually id like to make my own wall designs and such for it but for the moment ill use the som pieces that are there to build my framework...  working on the starting map now ...  playing with enemies should be fun  ... lol

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2011, 06:27:26 am »
If you're really creative you'l want to make your own stuff pretty soon. If you do want that, theres lots of guides here to help you.

Its not too hard if you really want to do it.

Offline sirtuftcat

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2011, 01:55:23 am »
Ok heres my next questio.. before i start to crack into 3d modeling (which i have 0 exp in lol) is it better or reccommended to try to create all the map pieces and items and what not or make some and use some from som or maybe the better question is what do u all reccomend for customization tactics?
how much to create urself Vs how much to use from the already avaliable?

and where to start? map pieces first then items or ? hmm

Also reccomended 3d programs to use?