Author Topic: Noob wanting to make a game  (Read 30878 times)

Offline sirtuftcat

• Silvarion Slasher
Noob wanting to make a game
« on: July 08, 2011, 11:43:59 pm »
 Hi Hi  fer those of u who don't know me im new to the forums here but have been a Kf fan fer years and love the games made here.  it also made me think about takin a crack at makin a game myself using this SoM everyones talkin about.  Of course first ill have to figure out how to install and run the tool with a windows 7 OS on my comp lol.. Anyway I figure i can start brain storming  and have come up with a basic idea of how i would want  my game to play ..

Im thinkin of putting emphasis on finding complete suits that will progress u thru the game.. Example  finding the fire sword all the fire mail pieces and perhaps the fire accesory will allow u to walk over lava to previously unaccessible area..  or water elemental suit to allow underwater breathing ect...   even the basic leather suit could give a small strenght bonus .. thats the very general basics of it.

of course this is all pre mature  as i dont have SoM on my comp as of yet  but hey, gotta start somewhere right?  lol  anyway look forward to playing all the cool games and hope to eventually make one of my own

Offline Creatura

• Austin Lyle Forester
  • Capricorn Crusher
Re: Noob wanting to make a game
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 04:12:47 am »
Nice to meet you.

We are all gonna be glad to help you.
I run my SOM on Win7 too so it is possible though you may need some additional software.
I'll be glad to help you out.

BTW do you know anything about 3D modeling?
I mean are you going to make your own models or SOM presets?
I recommend creating your own because SOM presets don't look well. They are very low res and not everything is mapped correctly.

Offline scott

• Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 02:05:13 pm »
Welcome to SoM. It's always nice to see new people here. I also have win 7 and can use SoM on it as well as my xp before it died. I think I got lucky though as my biggest problem was fixed by manualy installing it(moving the files to the "program files" folder), lol.

Anyway, as a little warning: SoM is a little (well, a lot...) limited as what can/can't be done. I don't want to be rude or a dream crusher but SoM can't tell what equipment you are using for an event or so. there are however creative was around this, like in KFDD, the aquarion boots are a useable item and wearable boots. Another way that I'm using is: "the magic of the item is so powerful you don't need to wear it"

well, I think you sould get SoM working first and see what can/can't be done with it. You can also start working on a basic story for the game until you get it working. I hope you stick around, I can't wait to see a new project.

(as I said above: I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just a little blunt in what I say most of the time...)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 02:09:49 pm by scott »
Yeah, I'm still around. I haven't much to say anymore however I do lurk around here. :ninja:

Offline Creatura

• Austin Lyle Forester
  • Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 03:25:42 pm »
I agree to you Scott.

I didn't really want to say those things too because he would eventually see it all.
But don't get upset. As Scott told you it is not impossible. There are a lot of workarounds for problems with SOM.
Just start the project first and we'll help you as you get a little familiar to everything.

If you have skype I could help you better.
Ben (Verdite) helped me a lot like that.

Offline sirtuftcat

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 03:36:17 pm »
Lol nu worries. I need all the input i can get.. When i say im a noob at game makin I mean literally ground zero.  Making a game would be virgin territory for me so its gonna take me a lot of time to get started so be blunt and give good input xd

Offline Creatura

• Austin Lyle Forester
  • Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 04:20:32 pm »
Well nobody had any experience from the beginning. We all started somewhere.
Now despite the fact that it's been a long time since I started working on this I'm still a noob.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 04:28:11 pm »
Hi there sirtuftcat and definitely welcome to the forums :) It's great that you're thinking of making a game; I love seeing different people's visions come to life.

There is actually a way to track what the player has equipped to a certain extent (by giving equipment unique stat boost), but it's a bit complicated so I wouldn't worry about it starting off.  

Some tips off the top of my head:

I would start by making a smallish simple game. As with all game makers, it's easy to get burnt out before you finish if you try to make a huge, epic adventure. If you start small and finish, you can always add more 'expansions' to your game later.

Leave several empty spaces between Items in the Parameter Editor. Items appear in the player's inventory in the same order they are listed in the Parameter Editor so it's a good idea to put keys and maps (items the player will use often) together at the top of the inventory. If you leave spaces in the Parameter Editor, you can add keys etc later and have better control over their order in the player's menu.

It's a good idea to have one map as an 'event template'. In SoM, you make stuff happen by creating an "event". You will usually have events that need to be on every map (like Verdite's 'healing bottles' setup). If you make one empty map that has all those 'universal' events, you can copy (with events) and build your new map on the copy. That saves you having to repeatedly enter long events manually.

:smile:

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 10:07:18 pm »
Well i think i should input my opinion on SoM, its not too much of a fail in creating the game you really want. It just takes longer than usual and doesnt look as impressive as modern games. But for abandonware, this game and toolset is great for people wanting to begin making games.

Todd once said to me a while ago that SoM wasnt a complete game making tool. But now we can make our own custom enemies, so its complete. You havent much choice with lighting but SoM works best with dungeon crawling which doesnt require alot of lighting.
The thing with SoM is the time consumption if you really want to make something you want. You'l need to learn the basics of 3d, texturing and then learn SoM's event and damage setup. People generally want their ideas solidified as soon as possible, but you'l need to take time if you really want that customisation.

Offline sirtuftcat

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 07:47:39 pm »
imstill here.. just work gettin in the way of things atm  but eventually ill get into this game thing more xd...  im still ponderin the armor sets idea  but am thinkin of a central temple like location where u would take the sets to trigger events and or abilities..  this ll hopefully give me options as well as a start point to build the game from..  but it ll likely be a while untill rl calms down a bit

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 11:37:54 pm »
stick with it!

there isnt a member here (except for tom somehow) that can crank out there game quickly!  it takes time, months or years depending on the scope.

we all are here to help out where/when we can, and are looking forward to whatever you make out of the toolkit no matter what the depth of the game is.

just let us know where we can help!
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder