Author Topic: Adding custom items and weapons to SoM (unsticky me please)  (Read 25180 times)

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
We all use metasequioa because we know it has an export as x file in the save as.
You'l see SoM's tools as x2mdo, x2msm, and x2mhm. The tool x2mdo is simple - probably the easiest to work with.
I'll go through the process for adding custom weapons first. Its lengthy, so pay attention.  :wink:

Ill do this process with metaseq. Download LE if you want the free x exporter. The textures you made for you're model have to be 256x256 dimensions, and they need to be in you're metasequioa texture folder, and saved as a .bmp file. (windows bitmap.)
Make sure in metaseq you have selected the texture from the metasequioa texture folder, located in the install area.

You'l need the SoM Tools http://www.swordofmoonlight.com/SOMTools/SOMTools/SOMTools.exe
And the tool translation.
http://www.swordofmoonlight.com/SOMTools/SoM_Tools_Translation_v1.1/SoM%20Tools%20Translation%20v1.1.exe
Get these setup, install you're tools to an easy location say c:\tools remember the directory.

Now for the kicker. Each time you export a model to this folder, you need the texture files in there, as they need be converted to a txr file. So make sure EVERY texture in you're model that you're converting goes there, or else the texture will not show.

Okay, next create you're model and save it as an x file in you're tools folder, with only four characters lets call you're first model swd1. As i mentioned, Metaseq has a x file exporter, Metaseq LE has it for free. So its saved in you're tools folder? Grand.
Next click on the "Search programs and files" in you're windows start menu. Type in cmd, hit enter.
Command prompt should be up. Type in cd\tools (assuming you installed it in the location i afore mentioned.)
Now type x2mdo.exe swd1.x
If you followed the process, you'l have no errors.
If you get a "texture could not be read" error, you have not selected the texture from the metasequioa folder properly.

So thats you're basic model. You'l also need the swing model. A weapon needs 2 parts, base model and swing model.
See attached to this post a download for the perfect swing model and size, you'l need it.
So once you have aligned you're weapon with my swing model (rotate, scale, move, etc.) you can save it, but pay heed as you will need to change the file name.
Each swing model needs to correspond to the standing model. So in this case you'l save it as swd1_0 (that is 0 as in the number.)
Again type cmd if you closed the window, if not type in x2mdo.exe swd1_0.x
You'l have the swing model.

Now then! Take these pieces, and place them into you're SoM/items/model folder. Make sure every texture is in there too.
You'l now need a hex editor. I use this. http://www.swordofmoonlight.com/SOMTools/HexEditor/xvi32.zip
Okay open up you're hex editor. Go to open. Now locate you're SoM install location. Go to items, then prof.
Locate 003.prf and open it.
Now, click on the L of the Long Sword. Rename it. Use Tool Sword as i have wrote for this first time.

Now click on the i of i003.mdo rename it to swd1.mdo

Follow this last part carefully.  :rainbow:
Go to file. Save as. type in swd1.prf and save.
Do not forget the .prf at the end of the file you are saving as or it wont work.
Now go to parameter editor in SoM and look up Weapon: Tool Sword
Adjust the damage accordingly!

Some pointers.
If you are creating a longsword, dont extend the length past my swing model for the swing model.
Other items, such as helmets, armour, etc do not need the extra _0 file.
Here is the table of .prf for other pieces you may need.

(Taken from dmp design's tutorial)

035.prf – Head slot item.
044.prf – Body slot item.
060.prf – Arm slot item (more details on gloves in the weapon/glove section).
068.prf – Leg slot item.
080.prf – Shield slot item.
092.prf – Accessory slot item.

Any questions, just ask!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 12:33:31 pm by Verdite »

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
Re: Adding custom items and weapons to SoM
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 11:40:06 pm »
Your swing-model 'sizer' sample will save me a lot of work- thanks. Will it work as a template for all three swing types (slash smash stab)?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 11:45:39 pm by HwitVlf »

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 06:44:13 am »
No worries, i havent tried it with any of the other swing types, i made it purely for the slash swing.

Offline Creatura

• Austin Lyle Forester
  • Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 11:16:46 am »
Hi there. This was very helpful but I still have problem.
I don't get any errors while converting .x into .mdo but the textures don't show up at all. The sword is blank white.
I have also put my textures in item/model/bmp dir but still no avail.

Thank you in advance.

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 11:20:08 am »
Did you take the .txr files and place them in the model folder?

If so and still no good, send me the files, ill help you find the problem  :cool:

Offline Creatura

• Austin Lyle Forester
  • Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 12:41:10 pm »
Works Like A Charm!!! :smokin:

I just have to work hard now to make 2 models (1 for slash and 1 for world)

Thank you guys you helped me a lot

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 12:50:14 pm »
Well dont forget to take the file i posted! All you need to do is to go to "insert" in metasequioa, select the file, then create as new objects if it says "obj... etc already exists" then, deselect all. Select you're swords parts (you can click on the "eye" icon to hide objects you dont need, i use this alot to copy / single out objects) then rotate it and scale it and place it over my model. When you export, dont include my model. Hide it or delete it first.

Offline Creatura

• Austin Lyle Forester
  • Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 12:57:44 pm »
OK I'll try that tonight.
When I first tried it, it worked out hilariously it was all messed up that i hit handle instead of blade.
But I now know what the problem was and I've fixed it now.

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 03:43:40 pm »
Nice. By the way, someone called me "the SoM blacksmith" once, which is pretty true. I'm quite adept at metaseq, so if you are finding a model too difficult, send me the plans and ill make it for you. I offer to make other people items, but they often forget to reply..

Offline Creatura

• Austin Lyle Forester
  • Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 04:10:21 pm »
That is great and I remember you told me that last year when I was starting my first project.

So I DO remember that :)

I have made a Minecraft Sword just to test myself if I could do anything in Metasequoia, but I can't save textures to bmp. It allows me to save them in .atr or .mqm

What should I do?

<EDIT>

Never mind I just made fresh textures by saving screen from textures panel and making copies of colors in MSPaint.

But can I make 1 file to be used as a texture? Because I get too many bmp pictures. This 1 sword has 6 pictures and it is not complicated at all but when I make more complicated models I wouldn't want to create 49876237851 texture files :biggrin:

<ONE MORE EDIT>

When I created those textures I saved them in MSPaint but they don't seem to be working.
I know that Photoshop made textures work fine but I don't have that prog so I have to ask my friend to make textures for me all the time.
I want to make them on my own without purchasing or pirating Photoshop.
BTW I have Paint Shop Pro 9 but I'm not sure if it works. I tried converting MSPaint bmp to PSP9 bmp but nothing changed.

<YET ANOTHER RIDICULOUS EDIT>

I got it working just as I expected. PSP9.

Your Slash model worked perfectly, though it has some flows like extra hidden objects you should remove. I did though :)

Oh could you make 1 display model sample? because I can't make it look right.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 06:35:53 am by Creatura »