Author Topic: Curse of the Pharoahs  (Read 23786 times)

Offline Xtremez

• Mace Masher
Re: Curse of the Pharoahs
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2012, 07:55:13 pm »
Man thanks so much........!!! FYI all your replys I greatly appreciate and all your help! Thank you!
Question, I forget which one of the KF games, the final boss was in an invisible level..........is it a lighting sequence to get them to show up or using another map piece. I've always liked that level in the old game.........well sort of.........I think I can do better as far as the map environments go. I've really gotten into map design, maybe cause Im an architect, or maybe because Im an old skool Tomb Raider fan and love outdoor settings......but so much can be accomplished by using different map piece combinations.
Look at the pic of the Chapel of Hathor, prime example-ish..........Its hard to recreate the great Temples of Egypt and I have to my dismay, given a little, in recreating them. Which was why i started making a game, I got my 3rd degree in Archaeology about 10yrs back from the univ. of Cairo..........and have come to love that place. I wanted to create a to scale, "exact" recreation of all the famous temples, but with this game engine its hard. No biggy, I still think it will have a great feel to it......and plenty of monsters to slay..........thanks again.

Offline Xtremez

• Mace Masher
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2012, 09:20:00 pm »
Sorry to pummel everyone with questions but I'm really back in the swing here.................question: Has anyone tried to make map pieces taller? Specifically any of the purple "outside corners"? I could use them in "4's" to make columns, but need them twice as tall? Anyone got any ideas? Thanks!

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2012, 10:52:15 pm »
I think your best bet overall is to start learning how to create custom map and object pieces.  It really looks like the environment youre creating will demand more and more out of you as you progress.  If you want to start we can certainly help you, and as you get the hang of it, it gets more and more easy.

But, lets focus on your questions for now, Ill try to tackle them in order as you posted them, sorry if I miss any.

meaning basically the stairs would raise and lower to seal off the entry to the lower level..you all with me here?
Any ideas?  ......... a timer possibly, but can you apply that to a map piece?

A quick answer about the map piece being able to move...and that is a no.  Map piece do not move according to events...so you have a couple options:

#1 make a set of custom objects that will take place of your map wall pieces so that they can move up and down and block the players path.  Its a lot of custom events to handle it as I wouldnt recommend making objects much larger than 2x2 map pieces, but it can be done.

#2 make two seperate but nearly identical maps.  meaning you have one map with the full layout with the map pieces blocking entry then you make an identical map where the map pieces are raised.  You then have an event that warps the player from location on map 1 to location on map 2.  The loss here is that you cant 'animate' the movement of the walls, but you could do a cut scene video of wall movement similar to some of the cutscenes in the KF games or DD.  In other words, you trigger the event, cut to a cool movie of the wall opening with sweet sound effects and atmosphere and then pop the player in the new map where the walls are up.

If you need help with either of those scenarios let me know and Ill expand further on that.

Is there away to combine these to one? Id have to look back in the old posts but I think someone mentioned this. Thx.

This is so simple, quite honestly I would really suggest using this as your first tutorial in making a custom object.  It would be super super easy to create a pot with plant object.  I would personally say use this as a point to make a truly unique, egyptian style plant/container.  If you would like to go about doing it, I think it would greatly enhance your game and probably inspire you to make a few more custom objects.  (btw my god, that egyptian statue is high grade, is that a weissvulf model?)

...........it wont modify it and anytime i try it removes the skin entirely from any objects using it....any ideas...anyone got a gold lion.?

Nope but again a relatively simple thing to do.  I will see about grabbing its texture and building you one thats gold.  after that I will show you how to duplicate the .obj and modding it with a hex editor to link to the new texture.

Ok, back up to my last totally goof post.............i have an egyptian chair and pharaoh im trying to combine into one piece, stop the guys head from moving and turn the total thing into a med. to dark sand texture, like the coliseum floor texture.......any ideas? The temple at Abu Simbel has large seated statues of Rameses II, been using the gold annubis statue, but just blows the whole mood...........

Again I think youre at the point with your game that its time to move to the next level and start creating custom models.  I promise you dont need to be an expert in modelling to make nice customs!  I really encourage you to give it a shot with your plant/vase you mentioned earlier.  If you are really skeptical of making your own models you might be able to find a free model to toy with at www.sharecg.com  though oftentimes they are far too high poly to be usable.

One last thing, anyone got any links for a pc version of US KF 1 & 2 ?????????????

I assume you mean iso's for the emulator.  If yes, then ya there are links around here somewhere for all of them.  I know if you go to the main site there is an iso for KFJ, Ill dig up the hidden links on 2,3 & 4 and ST, STA and ER this week.

Question, I forget which one of the KF games, the final boss was in an invisible level..........is it a lighting sequence to get them to show up or using another map piece.

I believe youre speaking about KF2, where you enter Guyra's area you are on a psuedo glass looking grid of squares and the lightning magic the demons were casting helped to light up the area.

Sorry to pummel everyone with questions but I'm really back in the swing here.................question: Has anyone tried to make map pieces taller? Specifically any of the purple "outside corners"? I could use them in "4's" to make columns, but need them twice as tall? Anyone got any ideas? Thanks!

The stock sets are 5 and 6m tall.  I have created a few sets that have no ceiling and a few that are above 6.  You may want to try to stock 6m sets if you havent already, they do appear quite a bit taller than the 5m sets.  If you need higher than that you can either go with ceilingless tiles or create some new ones that fit your needs :)
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Xtremez

• Mace Masher
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2012, 10:56:02 am »
Hey, thanks for the replies to my Q's;  wanted to respond sooner but works got me buried.

Anyways..........I've installed Meta......messed with it for a couple of hours last night, just enough to screw things up..lol... but all is good. I know Maya & Bryce.......this isnt much different. Wish there was a tool that I could design pieces in those and export/import in a Meta file.  There might be but havnt found a converter yet.

I agree w/ you, to take this game to the level I would like to see, I'm gonna have to make custom pieces.

Hey quick question.........is it possible to battle an enemy and "loose" money? Reason: one of the level is have, "Dante's Gate" is based on the 7 cardinal sins, and on the greed level i want the player to loose money if he tries to fight any enemies?

Again thanks so much for responding, you guys are great, enjoy your weekend.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2012, 02:20:20 pm »
I think Maya can save in OBJ format which Meta can open- then save as an X file.

You can attach an event to an enemy that triggers when they die. Use the "Change Player Parameter - Gold"  command in the event to make the player lose gold.

You could alternatively attach an event to an enemy that triggers when the player gets close (Trigger = Approach Circle) and reduces the player's gold. But that would trigger even if the player didn't engage in combat.

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2012, 11:58:34 pm »
Its almost been a month, any news?

Offline Xtremez

• Mace Masher
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2012, 09:18:07 pm »
Well, I've found a way to make obj's. Wire frame it in bryce, exp/imp into maya, skin it, exp/imp into meta, then save. The sizing is all screwed up but  I'm learning how to tweek that. Theres probably a much easier way to do this but i like bryce and maya, so. Just finished an Incan level, temple of the sun, working on the cavern level below it, it's coming along.
I will have to get into making some really kewl cistern levels, you guys seem to have the water thing down, when i get closer I'll have a few questions,laf.
Anyone working on new games?
Stay in touch and will do the same.
X

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2012, 08:48:57 am »
No worries, anything you need let me know. Ive got time for my game and other peoples too, which is what a community is about right? :) alot of people have given up on their games, i guess you've gotta be either super strong willed or just a die-hard KF fan to finish up.

Cant wait to see your custom work. Are you planning on having swords, spears etc in your game? Id like to fix up a scimitar for ya. I dont have as much spare time now, but i can make swords in a few hours.

Offline Xtremez

• Mace Masher
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2012, 01:08:52 pm »
Well, planning on having as many weapons as possible, Im tweeking the fight payout now, seeing how in the "stores" i can only pay up to $999.00, i have to lower all the enemy's pay out upon death. Other then that, it does take a strong will, as i've said before, the more i get into this the further away from being finished Im getting, Always seem to add new levels, new stuff, etc.
Its easy to get discouraged or sidetracked, especially after seeing the stuff everyone else has created. I really would like to do some massive water levels........the game really needs them.
Thx again, will stay in touch with all!
X

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2012, 05:43:05 pm »
Agree with you there X, the further you get the harder it goes.  I think thats why professional companies probably outline the scope of the entire project before starting :)  Its nice (and oftentimes necessary) to have some sort of boundaries in place so you can finally finish an area and say its 'done'.

Correct me if Im wrong Ben, but the better you got at making customs, the more and more you wanted to redo and add to your maps ;)
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder