Author Topic: Curse of the Pharoahs  (Read 23864 times)

Offline Xtremez

• Mace Masher
Re: Curse of the Pharoahs
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2011, 05:06:49 pm »
Wolfman,
Thanks for the advise.
Well, my OCD is starting to show. What I need is a bigger allotted map arena. Hey question, I've been using Bryce and Maya for years with work for architectural skinning, what types of file extensions does SOM accept? I can export from either Bryce/Maya in a dwf format. then possibly convert/open/save in another format SOM prefers? This would allow me to tweek shapes and textures in literally seconds. Yes/No? Got any ideas.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2011, 06:31:28 pm »
Wow, if a whole map grid is feeling confining to you, you must be making a huge sweeping environments. I can really see how the Object limits would be a problem with maps that size.

SoM uses its own unique file formats, and there is currently no way to export SoM's 3D models to any other standardized, editable 3D format. But SoM has tools can import models in Microsoft X format that use 256x256 pixel BMP textures.  We mostly use Metasequoia to make models since it has an X file exporter that works well with SoM. Metasequoia can import DXF, LWO, 3DS, and OBJ files and export them as X files. Also, if you haven't tried them yet, SoM has a set of simple set of editing tools that let you change change textures and such. 

Offline Xtremez

• Mace Masher
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2011, 09:58:08 pm »
Yeah, the map grid is wayyyyy to small. So, Som has an editing tool? Never noticed it. If meta can import Dwf files then I can make them in Bryce/maya, even cad and tweek them, then export in X? I wonder how pre-assigned textures in a dwf file would import into meta? Will have to mess with it.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2011, 12:01:50 am »
It's dXf that meta can import. SoM requires a 'Retained Mode' X file which is an older format X file that doesn't use some of the newer x file features. Metasequoia is the only decent modeler I know that saves in 'Retained Mode'.

Attached are the editing tools. Most of them are self explanatory (with a little trial and error), but x2mdo, x2mhm, x2msm are command line tools. MDO is SoM's non-animated model format used for Objects and Items. MSM is used for map Piece models, and MHM is used for map Piece collision data. There's some 'how to' info in the turorial section here that might help :)

Offline Xtremez

• Mace Masher
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2011, 08:45:38 pm »
Wolfman,

You are truly the guru of SOM........this I have figured out! Thanks much for the editing tool, dl it now will try it out definately..........Thanks for the file explanation as well. Gonna work on some lvls tonight......the tweeking never ends and the map grid is still to small........laf. Catch you later and will post some other pics too.

X

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2011, 10:38:55 pm »
I had contemplated making an npc model of yoda and calling him Weissvulf in a future project :)
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2011, 09:15:25 pm »
Ha,  :biggrin: Well I do look a little like Yoda  :wink:

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2011, 11:31:21 am »
I laughed out very loud when i saw John's custom title.

Offline Xtremez

• Mace Masher
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2011, 03:46:13 pm »
Laf

Offline Xtremez

• Mace Masher
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2011, 04:06:16 pm »
Well, I've had a five day weekend, been able to work on "Kom Ombo" a level I thought I was gonna have to dump because I just couldnt get it the way I wanted, has turned out tolerable. With a few more tweeks I think it should be pretty sweet. Then start working on "Dendera" the Temple of Hathor. This ties in with Kom Ombo because there is a small temple there erected to Hathor. Good place for a warp pedistal to get from there to Dendera.
Anyways, making progress actually. Building levels and tweeking can suck four days in a New York minute, where did my weekend go? Shit .......................*&^%$#@#$%^&*()(*&^%$     LOL!