Author Topic: Metasequoia modeler tutorials and Keynote translated plugins  (Read 159166 times)

Offline airflamesred

• Decked in Promeus
Re: Metasequoia modeler tutorials and Keynote translated plugins
« Reply #180 on: October 10, 2011, 03:53:47 pm »
Its very rare I use the word 'amazing' but this tut is just that. Its long but well worth it
http://www.3dtotal.com/newsite/index_tutorial_detailed.php?id=473&page=1

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #181 on: October 10, 2011, 08:09:17 pm »
Excellent find, thanks for the post, Ill be checking this out :)
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #182 on: October 12, 2011, 05:31:45 pm »
That is a really good site- a lot of professional quality info.  The low-poly tutorial has several tips that I think will help me with the fairy NPC I'm working on right now.  Loading the UV layout into Paintshop as a layer to help align the texture is brilliant. That's one area where I have a lot of trouble. It's so simple I could kick myself for not thinking it up on my own  :tongue:

Thanks for finding this. Added the link to the top post.

Interesting what he said about 256x256 being the maximum texture size on the PS2 console. SoM's 256 limit has always felt... well, limiting, but after seeing that the PS1 textures were 32x32, I got the impression that maybe it was more about learning to utilize texture space better rather than using huge textures. I started allotting a larger part of the texture space to key focal points on the model (eyes, filigree  etc) and shrinking the less key parts (clothes, bare metal). It think it's working better, but I still have a lot to learn.

Offline airflamesred

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #183 on: October 13, 2011, 04:43:36 am »
I still get confused painting over the UV map in PSP, I much prefer mesh painting in meta. Alas there are some things that are just impractical in meta.
Optimising textures is one thing but normal mapping is the big difference in my eyes

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #184 on: October 13, 2011, 07:27:41 am »
To me its all about how you unwrap the model, and its assets. If you unwrap something that has bad symmetry, or a wrong shape according to your object, then it'l warp and look terrible if you start modifying it's shape. Something like a thumb isnt easy to unwrap - in fact projection view is probably a safer bet for that.

For my custom npcs now i use one texture, i wouldnt be surprised if ps1 developers made their textures large then dummed them down to suit the ps1 capabilities. I use blender to unwrap (blender 2.49b) because of its excellent choices when unwrapping and baking textures / shadows.

I wouldnt mind making a video on how i make paint textures in GIMP from blender, if it would help.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 08:30:33 am by Verdite »

Offline airflamesred

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #185 on: October 15, 2011, 04:33:13 pm »
I wouldnt mind making a video on how i make paint textures in GIMP from blender, if it would help.
I'm up for that Ben.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #186 on: October 16, 2011, 08:45:27 pm »
I still get confused painting over the UV map in PSP, I much prefer mesh painting in meta.
I mostly use modified photos for textures, but I can see how painting a texture from scratch over the UV map would be hard. Incidentally, I finally tried using Meta's paint feature to make a texture (plant) and was pretty happy with how it came out. It will take some learning, but it's a good tool.

I'm all for making tutorials. Most of the methods I use have been pulled from a lot of different tutorials; I almost always learn some new helpful tips when I read a tutorial. 

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #187 on: October 16, 2011, 09:12:13 pm »
Great well since i know you guys will benefit from the tut ill finish it off tomorrow with any luck. John do you use camstudio also? Mine seems to take up masses of memory. Fraps only took up a short amount... Fraps :dazed: mm costly, but nice...

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #188 on: October 16, 2011, 09:56:33 pm »
I have been using camtasia studio because it has the free trial.
Does Fraps let you record from the desktop? I seem to remember it only works with games.
It looked like Mark had found a new recording tool that worked well in his youtube tutorials. 

Offline Guyra

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #189 on: October 17, 2011, 05:15:55 am »
Does Fraps let you record from the desktop? I seem to remember it only works with games.
Fraps only works with games, yeah. :/