Author Topic: Shadow Tower - I changed my mind  (Read 6284 times)

Offline AsusX2

• Silvarion Slasher
Re: Shadow Tower - I changed my mind
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 10:31:25 am »
I never really liked the shield in s.t. and I hated the duribility factor (Not the fact that it was there but how fast a sword died) as i alwase seemed to run out of weapons and durados ashes. I'm a big believer in kill everything you see at least once, which led to a lot of sword ware. so for my fighting style the Very limited dura of the weapons made the game unpleasent enough that without a dura hack I did not bother to finish the game.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 03:47:46 pm »
I have the same basic gripe.

Having durability is one thing, but honestly a weapon lasting only 5-10 strikes is retarded.  I can't imagine medieval knights going to war with a sword that broke after the 10th swing.

I got much further in the game by following a walkthrough since i knew exactly what i 'had' to kill to get the stuff i needed, but it ruined the game for me since i didnt experience much of it without the assistance of the walkthrough.

it did get better as you progressed in the game, but i always felt weak.  I like eventually feeling very powerful.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 11:50:32 pm »
I don't recall having this sort of experience at all. I'm going to replay ST after KF2 and KF3 (already picked them up off PSN)

If a weapon really is breaking in 10~15 swings for you, you gotta be misusing it in some way that is based on damage affinities or something... like glass sword versus obsidian golem, I dunno??

Rings maybe do wear out like that. I really liked ST and used the shield / loved that aspect / wish KF would've adopted it.

I never have the patience to kill everything on first sight, though I do go back and mop up if it's that sort of game. I don't think you're supposed to play any not-on-rails game that way. If so it's poorly designed. I actually like all the mobs of monsters in KF2. Without it there would be no challenge. Like in Som if you don't have at least 4 monsters gunning for you at a time there is really no gameplay there. Having to choose what to expend your equipment on also ups the ante in this dept. The only bone I have to pick with KF/ST is I don't like the unlimited inventory element. In Zelda I think you were supposed to have a magical bag or something... or maybe that was from the cartoon series... but I've never understood why games let players carry every item in the game around with them. Choosing what to take and what to leave should be a major part of any such game. ST compounds that unrealism by making you actually dependent upon all the weapons you pickup, so at any point in the game you're carrying around an entire armory of busted weapons etc I imagine. But then I've always thought treasure chests were the most contrived things in the world.... I mean other than in a tomb robbing scenario I just can't imagine the old world or any fantasy realm so inundated with valuable items stuffed in boxes scattered randomly about like the world is one big Christmas tree :evil:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 11:52:20 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline Madison Lastrega

• Decked in Promeus
  • Do, or do not, there is no try...... ~yoda~
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 01:15:37 am »
Ya know that was the most intelegent thing I have heard in a while.......And funny to boot............ Thanks for the laugh and the deep insight..... Your right, I mean really? when in real life are there unlocked boxes of goodies just laying around?........Zelda was the worst for that, so much so they incorporated "the Big Chest" in '91.... I am using chest still, but thanks to the insight maybe not so much and in more realistic locations........

Offline Madison Lastrega

• Decked in Promeus
  • Do, or do not, there is no try...... ~yoda~
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 01:24:41 am »
And........ It made me revamp a few new customs .... I am making a few chess and checkers sets for effect, and story plot, but not now, I split one of the models in to two models and can also use it as a chest so to speak with out being cliche'.. The door is animated too, with an event, what ya think?.........

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 03:20:40 pm »
I think it would be awesome if you could utilize an addon to SOM (would have to be via an ex extension of course) that would allow you to play out a chess or checkers game to actuall unlock the box:)

looks really really good though, I like it alot.
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 12:08:12 am »
Funny, I was just watching Twin Peaks (season 2) and was thinking a little stylized (low-poly) chess set (and pieces) would be a weird thing to have available to Som authors. I kinda wondered if it would be wasteful of FPSs or not...

As for treasure chests... I thought I was just being facetious (they're plainly a charming trope that defines a genre... and in actuality many games, including KF, don't use them gratuitously or at all.)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 12:17:31 am »
I think it would be awesome if you could utilize an addon to SOM (would have to be via an ex extension of course) that would allow you to play out a chess or checkers game to actuall unlock the box:)

looks really really good though, I like it alot.

I don't think I've seen a game with a chess meta game builtin, but I do plan to add mouse support soon enough. I had not thought about letting the player point and click in the game world, but I reckon it would at least be handy for mouse style FPS controls for those who want it and more importantly for interacting with a lot of debugging screen overlay stuff I will be adding... also probably using the mouse to navigate the menus.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 08:43:52 pm »
Point and click may be desirable for some folks.

In a retroremakes forum, someone had commented that they stopped playing DD due to the fact they wanted to use a mouse *shrug*
Site Founder

Offline AsusX2

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2010, 11:14:49 pm »
I understand your point about "glass sword vs obsidian golom" so I tried to replay it while being VERY careful about what i hit and it did not seam to make much of a difference. the swords or whathaveyou still broke fast. sigh