Author Topic: Any hints as to how to get the drain staff?  (Read 6563 times)

Offline Luthius

• Bow Bearer
Any hints as to how to get the drain staff?
« on: December 26, 2010, 10:12:23 am »
I know this board has been pretty slow in recent times, but that won't stop me from trying. By the way, if you happen to read this, Tom, I just wanted to say that you did an excellent job on both this and Diadem of Maunstraut.

I have a couple of questions. I seem to be stuck at 80 solves, 15 intellect and 47 magic level. I have the second Trismegistus piece, the Hermes Chalice, the Alchemist Bracelet, and 37 spirits captured (if that leads to anything significant). I also have the staves of Earth, Flames, and Wind, and now I am looking for the Drain one, but I can't seem to find it. I have Displace III and have used it on the appropriate nearby pillar, but I need the drain staff to drain the lava, and I don't seem to be fast enough to beat the timed gate. So I was wondering where that thing was, since I've never seen any other staff besides the ones I have. I'm pretty sure I've looked almost everywhere, too, and I can't seem to think of anything that I might have missed.

I have also spoken to the worm-like creature in the fire realm and the mimic chest in the wind realm to get their magic upgrades, and I was wondering if the earth and water realms had creatures like that, too? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Re: Any hints as to how to get the drain staff?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 06:03:53 pm »
I know this board has been pretty slow in recent times, but that won't stop me from trying. By the way, if you happen to read this, Tom, I just wanted to say that you did an excellent job on both this and Diadem of Maunstraut.

I have a couple of questions. I seem to be stuck at 80 solves, 15 intellect and 47 magic level. I have the second Trismegistus piece, the Hermes Chalice, the Alchemist Bracelet, and 37 spirits captured (if that leads to anything significant). I also have the staves of Earth, Flames, and Wind, and now I am looking for the Drain one, but I can't seem to find it. I have Displace III and have used it on the appropriate nearby pillar, but I need the drain staff to drain the lava, and I don't seem to be fast enough to beat the timed gate. So I was wondering where that thing was, since I've never seen any other staff besides the ones I have. I'm pretty sure I've looked almost everywhere, too, and I can't seem to think of anything that I might have missed.

I have also spoken to the worm-like creature in the fire realm and the mimic chest in the wind realm to get their magic upgrades, and I was wondering if the earth and water realms had creatures like that, too? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm working on an unauthorized version of Trismegistus which will include a great number of all around improvements to Sword of Moonlight in general which I hope to have finalized (though probably not bug-free) sometime around new years. Please keep an eye out. Maybe with any luck Tom will drag Trismegistus out and fix some of the user interface probs Todd tells me the game suffers from.

I've not been able to advance too far into the game myself, though I'm a big fan. Todd tells me he's beaten the game with both endings and apparently no demon was summoned upon completion to make his life more complicated or whatever :evil:
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 10:20:04 am by Holy Diver »

Offline Luthius

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 09:52:50 am »
Hey, that's cool. An improved (and less buggy) SoM would definitely be nice. Now, if only I could find that damn Drain Staff... I'm assuming you haven't found it yet, either? How far have you managed to get?

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 10:28:25 am »
Hey, that's cool. An improved (and less buggy) SoM would definitely be nice. Now, if only I could find that damn Drain Staff... I'm assuming you haven't found it yet, either? How far have you managed to get?

Pretty much all of Som's bugs will be no more. Though there may be bugs related to the game events which won't be helped. And probably some wholly new bugs thanks to the new code involved in extending Som. Otherwise the games will feel damn near professional and there should not be any usability issues, and there will be a whole lot of new conveniences, including everything you expect in a retail appropriate game. There are also a lot of top notch graphical enhancements if your hardware can handle it. Nothing a cheap off the shelf gaming card can't handle.

I feel like I've gotten pretty far in Trismegistus, but from what I can gather I've hardly scratched the surface. I really like the atmosphere and the fact that we have some games that demonstrate what Som is easily capable of, but I'm pretty weak sauce in the puzzler dept :nolaff:

For the record: 6 solves, 2 intellect, 12 magic ability (though I think I have some stat boosting items in the inventory)

Offline Luthius

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 10:46:44 am »
Nice. I'm anxious to see what it can do. Though, I'm using a pretty badly outdated computer, and I can't even begin to describe how slow it can be sometimes, so I'll likely have to pick up a new gaming card.

I know what it's like being stuck on this game, as I've found myself in that position a few times, though I've always managed to find the way out, until this part. Hell, that "Round and Round" puzzle should have been the first puzzle I figured out, but I didn't solve it for a while, because I thought "Well, it DOES say "Round and Round", so you probably have to... nah, that would be TOO obvious." But of course that's what it was.  :doh:

Reading some of the earlier posts here, I'm surprised so many people missed the Copper Key. That was the second thing I ever found in this game.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 12:16:44 pm by Luthius »

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 12:22:42 pm »
I hear the door unlocking sound while circling the round/round path but I've no clue what good that actually is (ie. what opens) :rolleyes:

We will be setting up (afaik) a beefy graphically enhanced download for people with gaming computers, and versions of the current downloads with all manner of conveniences which shouldn't affect overall performance. Major stuff are no bugs, window play, full Vista compatibility, no sound drop out, probably mouse/wasd/analog controller support, and all kinds of goodies.

There is a graphically enhanced screenshot here (http://www.swordofmoonlight.com/bbs/index.php/topic,407.20.html)

PS: Trismegistus will be the first to get the treatment, the rest will soon follow.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 12:26:08 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline Luthius

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 11:47:24 am »
Looks pretty good. Good luck with that, and I hope everything goes well. Oh yeah, and...

I hear the door unlocking sound while circling the round/round path but I've no clue what good that actually is (ie. what opens) :rolleyes:

It unlocks the nearby sealed gate, but you have to keep circling it until you see the "puzzle solved" red flash.  :P
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 11:56:55 am by Luthius »

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 12:58:16 pm »
Without playing back through the game I have unfortunately forgotten the intricate solutions to the puzzles, I will email Tom to pop on here and take a peek at your question and get you the right answers.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Hguols

• Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 01:48:28 pm »
*falls into the forum*

Hey thanks Luthius for the compliments.

I believe the dream pedestal in the main "water world" courtyard (with the giant pillar and 4 fountains) gave a pretty important clue.  (If you had a chance to look at that picture closely.)  There's also another important written clue as well....  

If you haven't found that written clue, I'll state that it involves running around and around something...   (much like another puzzle on the main map)

I'll state that, as not to completely ruin much of the Trismegistus experience.

....plus, I'm a tad rusty as the schematics of this game haven't been on my mind in.....    years?

« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 01:50:43 pm by Hguols »

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.

Offline Luthius

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 02:48:27 pm »
*falls into the forum*

Hey thanks Luthius for the compliments.

I believe the dream pedestal in the main "water world" courtyard (with the giant pillar and 4 fountains) gave a pretty important clue.  (If you had a chance to look at that picture closely.)  There's also another important written clue as well....  

If you haven't found that written clue, I'll state that it involves running around and around something...   (much like another puzzle on the main map)

I'll state that, as not to completely ruin much of the Trismegistus experience.

....plus, I'm a tad rusty as the schematics of this game haven't been on my mind in.....    years?

No problem, it's been a pleasure playing these games. And thanks much for taking the time to drop in and answer my question. Unfortunately, it seems that I should have asked for hints as to how to get Farvann's Key instead, as I solved the fountain and dial puzzle, but I need that key to proceed. I've seen a key and what is probably that written clue you were talking about , but the water is blocking the way, and I figured I needed the Drain Staff to get to it, but now it seems that I actually need the key to get the staff. But I can't figure out how to drain the water or lava... Another puzzle or item I missed?  :doh: