Author Topic: Object disappearances, maybe you can help...  (Read 1243 times)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Object disappearances, maybe you can help...
« on: November 27, 2010, 09:16:06 am »
I have an idea... if it worked it would be very nice, but it will take some work so I need proof it will work before trying it.

If it's not obvious, you guys should've worked out by now I've no proficiency at all with the customization tools you all use to make new objects etc. Figuring them out is something I've avoided burdening myself with.

So anyway, what I'd like to know/find out if necessary, is if you take an object like a tree... one we know is guaranteed to disappear when you look away from it. I'd like to know if the size of the tree, in terms of the outermost polygons actually effects the point at which it disappears.... In other words, if you give the tree a larger wingspan (in the model file itself) will it do a better job of staying put.

So, if it is the case that that helps, I can setup Ex to insert some invisible triangles about the objects so to make Som think they are larger than they actually are. Ex can also be optimized so to skip dealing with anything with a pure black (ie. invisible) texture.

This is the only foolproof way I can think of to keep event driven objects tied down without dipping into Som's memory.

So anyway, if you wanna contribute to fixing huge glitches like this, please consider helping out by setting up a proof!!

PS: It's just a hunch, but it seems like scaling up objects in either the parameter editor or map editor or both is somewhat responsible or increases the likelihood of disappearances.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 09:21:50 am by Holy Diver »