Author Topic: Som install problem  (Read 4835 times)

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
Re: Som install problem
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 08:44:03 am »
Actually i need feedback on those textures. I'll post them in my screenshots thread. Thanks Todd  :rainbow:

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2010, 04:32:57 pm »
Nope. I'm talking about the Som_map and piece setup. Before i couldnt place items, npcs, objects or enemies and i can now, since i changed the settings in game, i dunno whats happened because i hadnt fiddled with anything else.

Something else must've happened, because that's impossible :evil:

PS: The game settings are stored in the .ini files all over the place, and anyway have no relevance to the editors. Though you haven't precisely defined "place" ... assuming you mean simply adding stuff to a map via the map editor.

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2010, 06:08:43 pm »
Yeah. I mean simply adding to a map via map editor.

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
Runtime missing file...
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2010, 04:29:31 pm »
I decided to test a runtime to see how much space it would take up etc...

And during runtime creation i got this error...

Anyone know a way around it? In the runtime created game, enemies dont spawn, neither do items objects or weapons.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2010, 09:08:17 pm »
Todd can help.

I'm pretty sure you need to copy most if not all of your custom stuff manually over to the build folders.

As soon as I start building stuff I'm going to have to program a new build tool from scratch. But anyway, I recommend keeping all of your customs in your project folder. The debugger looks there first for everything, and then you can just copy your stuff over from there. Some things like .prf and .map files are not supposed to be in built games. I know you were sensitive about people not being able to work with your stuff. So might wanna consider that.

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2010, 06:08:30 am »
Id like people to be able to use everything i make, especially the items etc.

I'll email Todd.

So your new build tool, what features do you plan to add to it? Anything new for map building? :5innocent2:

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2010, 08:38:24 am »
Hrm..I think I have seen this error before.  Unfortunately, you are experiencing an error building the runtime, so copying the missing custom .txr files over is going to be impossible (no directories for the output files exist yet).

If I am not mistaken I believe AsusX had this issue and the fix was reinstalling SOM with the installer on the main site here...he had an older version of SOM installed without some patching and had several older version files and likely some japanese ones in there too.

I think if you make a fresh install of SOM, pull over all your customs to it and try again it should work.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2010, 08:53:28 am »
So your new build tool, what features do you plan to add to it? Anything new for map building? :5innocent2:

Probably it would/will just copy all the files over correctly, with an easier to use directory choosing dialogue, and let you copy over an existing build with the option of not copy over files that have not changed timestamp wise and clean out any files that are not needed by the new build if you want. Would work via the Som editor or standalone.

Unfortunately it may be a while before I actually need to build any games. Off the top of my head I can't think of anything that som_rt needs which som_db doesn't. You could probably just copy the .som file and rename it Project.dat. At that point you'd just need to copy all the files you need into your data folder. You can figure out which by looking in the Param files. Anyway if that worked and you kept everything in sync, your project folder would also be your game folder (just remember to prepare a new Project.dat each time before playing the non-debug game after making changes... I kinda wonder what the hell the Project.dat file is good for myself. It's tiny)

I might take a time out to work on a builder sometime. It would be nice if people could more casually prepare builds of their game for sharing snapshots/mini demos etc.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 08:56:29 am by Holy Diver »

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2010, 02:07:22 pm »
Right... Thanks for the suggestion Todd, but it didnt work.

So i created a new project with no items, no enemies etc. No issues.

I went back to the project im on now, and deleted all the enemies, still the runtime issue. I then deleted all my items and it works.

What pisses me off is the fact that id balanced those items and added descriptions etc... And i've to redo all my enemies again and balance them out.

I shoulda saved a copy of my project before deleting stuff, but i wanted to get to the bottom of it asap.

So please bare with me as i redo everything again...