Author Topic: Som install problem  (Read 4832 times)

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
Som install problem
« on: October 28, 2010, 08:02:36 am »
Ive recently set up my new pc and it has windows 7 premium, and wont install SoM... When i go to copy files to c:\..\kf
it says access denied. Anyone else got this problem?

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Re: Som install problem
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 08:54:53 am »
How are you "installing" things?

I had no problems as I recall installing from disc or one of Todd's archives. But I upgraded to 7 from Vista.

Sounds like a simple permissions kind of thing / not really Som related.

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 01:06:38 pm »
Yeah. I havent a clue about permissions though. I have the sominstaller which you probably used too.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 01:24:08 pm »
What is "the sominstaller"?

Either way, I'd appreciate it if Todd would try to direct us to the best uber collection of Som crap, because I'm pretty sure my repository is behind the times.

If nothing else I might see what's in his DarkDestiny project folder he says is available via the sites filetree.

If you're using that batch file, it's pretty unreliable. Just copy the stuff where you want it, and add the HKCU/Software/FROMSOFTWARE/SOM/INSTALL/InstDir key to your registry (copy it like it is on your working computer)

PS: You're going to have to setup XP Mode to do anything much with Som under 7 anyway. So you might as well figure this stuff out.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 01:25:41 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 03:31:13 pm »
Had a talk with Ben earlier, I think if he really wants to run the batch he can just disable user account control temporarily and pull the files over, or he can manually copy them wherever he wants like you said holy and make sure that if its not in the specified path of the .reg file that he edit the .reg file to the appropriate path its copied to.

For the record, the installer I have posted should have 99.9% of the stuff thats in DD minus some junk that shouldnt be in there.  I really should clean it up entirely though because it has a lot of garbage objects that shouldnt be in it.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 08:45:55 pm »
I don't ever recommend disabling UAC. You can setup an Administrator account for doing stuff like that somehow (did it once -- wasn't simple) but I've only ever need to resort to that to do stuff that was more or less illegal / way outside the realm of stuff you're supposed to be doing :evil:

You should learn permissions for dealing with files. Permissions are there to keep bad software from breaking / accessing stuff. As the owner of your PC with a super user account you can get around any permissions that exist. I don't recommend using that batch file anyway. Like the first time I installed Som C: was not even a valid drive. It should just have a .reg file in there, or the batch file maybe should just ask you where you copied the files so it can set the InstDir key without requiring editing.

Once you get things working you will want to setup XP Mode and a network share wherever you installed Som. Then you will want to map that share to your XP Mode Virtual PC. Then manually add the registry keys. Then find an XP disc, or find an image online / burn it. Then install the East Asian component. If that doesn't install Gothic / Mincho you'll need copies of those. You need to hunt down copies of those anyway for when you want to release your game. I dunno if you can just drag them out of an XP Font Folder or not. I know you can't do that on Vista/7. There may be other steps as well... I seem to remember more anyway.

But after you have all that setup, you will want to edit with XP Mode, then run the debugger from outside XP Mode. You can do that with the map editor, but be careful not to do anything with the two editors open. I find it more convenient to setup a shortcut for launching som_db.exe. It never gets locked that way and you don't need the map editor, which can be really slow on 7.

PS: If you're confident about the installer, then I'm guessing Tom's DoM project repository must be the reason I've so many odd assets in mine. Work on Som seems so fast day to day, but overall it seems so slow. Sometimes I add a cool new feature everyday. But it seems like I'm almost spinning my wheels with no end in sight. If you've ever seen Brother Sun, Sister Moon... Som seems to be my San Damiano for the time being. At the same time it's been a while since I've had the reward of working on stuff that actually has tangible improvements from day to day. When I was younger that would keep me going day in day out. But I suppose when you're young you feel like you've always got something to prove to someone :goodnight:

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 08:25:20 am »
Ive got SoM up and running thanks to Todds simple advice, and now my only problem is placing obj items npc and enemies, because i cant disable direct x on my new pc, so there seems to be conflict when nothing except the map is visible in the preview screen..

I can still test my maps though, is there any way to disable dx on 7?

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 02:28:50 pm »
That's what everyone has been trying to tell you :rolleyes:

EDITED: If you're serious about continuing, read my last post^
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 02:30:24 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 05:40:18 pm »
I had read all of your post before i posted my reply, it was rushed i have to admit.

Thanks for the info.

Instead of doing all that im going to create what i need on my new pc and transfer it all to my old one when im reading to start placing obj and items. Sounds strange, but ive had alot of problems setting up recently and simply cant be done with more tech hassle... My new pc will probably have the resolution output of most pc's that will run my project, given that my old monitor was ancient and therefore a bad project reference at times. (In terms of textures etc.)

Though i really appreciate your advice, i will probably go back to it when ive time. For now this is the best method for me.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 08:08:02 pm »
I keep my projects on a thumbdrive so they can be easily moved between PCs. I don't have an XP machine at the moment, though I do have a new one, but not with Som installed on it. I sometimes play/test Som games on that PC via a network share.

You kind of need Ex if you want to keep your games on a thumbdrive, because the save/load screen will grind to a halt without Ex. The way those screens work in disc access terms is completely insane / behavior you want associated with your product. Same deal over a network, or under any circumstances where file access is not lightspeed.