Author Topic: Old discussion and screenshots thread  (Read 37582 times)

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
Re: Rathmor Screenshots
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2010, 02:51:43 pm »
Demo is taking longer than expected, expect another 4 or 5 days for it to be finalised.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2010, 08:03:35 pm »
I should have time to finish up my last bit of work (shadows related) with Ex before then. You should do your best to get Ex working with your demo by yourself, so we (read: I) don't have to do it for ya (I've enough games on my plate in terms of Ex-ification) :rainbow:

Are you aiming for the Demos page (http://www.swordofmoonlight.com/Demos.htm) ?

I suppose even the demos should have Ex added if we're to be consistent about it.

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2010, 03:23:05 pm »
I really would like ex added to my demo but if its not possible, thats fine... My demo is really just a teaser of whats to come. The demo wont be especially lively - you'l be questing, but the rewards will mainly be items rather than any real story base. Its based around one map set, so you'l see alot of one texture.

I'll probably ask Todd to help me with getting ex to work with my demo... (Todd?  :biggrin:)

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2010, 04:12:20 pm »
I've had issues with runtime, my suspicions being an older item that i didnt correct properly, caused me to redo all my items and enemies etc.

During this time i had a rethink of the demo's design and i've decided to redo the main map from scratch.

The main map will probably be similar to a map in the full version of Rathmor but i'm sure nobody will have issues with that.

It wont take me too long to make. Please be patient, it'l be worth it.  :biggrin:

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2010, 11:05:59 am »
I've started drawing the maps. Enemies are set for the first few areas.

I'm going to start developing the game.

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2010, 03:03:08 pm »
I know i havent posted a screenshot in a while so heres one of a skeleton.  :smug:

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #86 on: December 02, 2010, 06:50:23 pm »
nice:)
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #87 on: December 02, 2010, 08:52:01 pm »
I kinda wonder if the .mdl files are paletted or not. I'm sure some of them are if not most... I had to handle the paletted case in the Assimp importer anyway.

However there are two different kinds of palettes. There is a palette that is just all the colours present in the image for compression purposes. Not a very interesting palette. The value added type of palette has all of the related colours in rows. So like for this skeleton... all of the bone colours would be next to one another, and all of the armor colours would be next to one another. That way you can programmatically generate coherent palette swaps of textures by just shifting the hues/etc of each block this way or that.

That's how painting your AC in Armored Core works (or did at least up to the present gen, and maybe still) ...Therefore I'd not be shocked if the Som models were created with a tool for working in the same kind of way. It's a philosophy anyway I'd like to encourage when we get to that point... because it's a very simple way to make assets way more flexible. Personally I just enjoy the anachronism of the whole concept.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 08:55:12 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2010, 08:15:42 am »
I really like that wall texture, I wish I could have had that set in my game.  I would have definitely expanded the tiny snow area DD had.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2010, 09:34:13 am »
Thanks Todd.  :rainbow:

Yeah i noticed that the UV mapping for these models is really shoddy - take the female warrior for instance (0061.prf) the texture across the nose and around the nose has stretched. It really spoils the model.

I've been working on a custom for that model, and i honestly thought it was my fault for not getting the texture aligned properly, so i spent around an hour testing and trying different methods, however i found in the end that it was all to do with the mapping - basically i think that the model face for the nose area was probably just left and not aligned correctly. It looks like mapping for the face probably just consists of a stretched line.

(Btw, id love for people to use my textures for enemies, walls etc. If anyone wants one before i release my game or after let me know!)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 09:38:19 am by Verdite »