Author Topic: Old discussion and screenshots thread  (Read 37593 times)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Re: Rathmor Screenshots
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2010, 10:06:45 pm »
^Sorry, try it with the .mdl extension if you didn't. I think items can be .mdl.

EDITED: Might require the item be .mdl as well (if they can be)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 11:11:27 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2010, 07:43:46 pm »
My first major tree on the map.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2010, 08:08:15 pm »
Those look good. You might consider posting miniature Som demos. One quick download and we could see your work in Som / 3D.

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2010, 06:37:11 am »
Wouldnt you prefer to see them all in a main game? Hopefully you'l be able to see the trees in a demo.  :biggrin:

Edited:

Those trees have around 500 vertices each. I dont think its possible to go lower than that, certainly if you want to make a nice looking tree.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 07:18:11 am by Verdite »

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2010, 08:13:28 am »
looks nice ben.

I got your PM about the enemy sounds, and  yes there are ways to change them around but I will have to refresh my own memory first to help you out ;)

When you get a chance, message me on live messenger and we can go through it.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2010, 09:21:36 am »
Thanks Todd.

Diver ive searched the forum best i can for the higher txr resolution output you mentioned earlier and i cant find anything.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2010, 08:48:04 pm »
Thanks Todd.

Diver ive searched the forum best i can for the higher txr resolution output you mentioned earlier and i cant find anything.

I apologize. I was just trying to give you some evidence for hope. Unfortunately searching these forums afaik is not possible because the query will timeout before it completes.

Assuming I understand what you're referring to... it's probably over your head, and something I don't have enough experience with. So I suggest sticking to 256x256.

Now if you really need something better. You can now use Ex to substitute the texture you want for the one Som uses. Bearing in mind Som still loads up the texture and only as the final step it is replaced with whatever is in the image file you specify. So you do the first load pretty much just to identify the texture. If you use a small texture though the first load would go quicker... try to to fill the texture with something distinctive (and of course unique) though so it can be identified.

You probably don't wanna do that for every texture in your game, though it's definitely possible. If you're really committed to doing things super quality I can definitely find the time to provide the tools you'll need to do that right (read: in an organized fashion and without impacting load times)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 08:52:31 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2010, 09:14:53 pm »
Wouldnt you prefer to see them all in a main game? Hopefully you'l be able to see the trees in a demo.  :biggrin:

If a picture says a thousand words, a 3D demo says at least a thousand more... it's not so hard to setup / beats an image... especially for original stuff.

Those trees have around 500 vertices each. I dont think its possible to go lower than that, certainly if you want to make a nice looking tree.

It's hard to tell exactly what you've got going. But usually what helps in the bushy areas is to have a few different planes intersecting. For twigs anyway. For leaves something with volume usually looks better with a free roaming camera.

The amount of polygons is really not super important... what's most important what you do with them. The trees we have are really not efficient either in terms of conveying a tree or geometry... so it's good to see you're doing your own and they seem to be on the right track.

If you want sparse trees it's definitely important to leverage transparent texels to convey detail.

PS: Som actually has a (not well understood) 3D billboarding system. You can really make things look nice that way, but it can seem kind of unnatural if the tree is not too amorphous. Another thing you could do with it (once we figure it out someday) is create the illusion of lots of trees in the distance or on top of a cliff, pretty much anywhere the player can't actually go and can only see from pretty much one angle.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 09:18:13 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2010, 05:50:34 pm »
Yeah i should probably load up a demo soon. Ill let you stroll around my created environs and permit you to give my retextured enemies a good kicking.

I've taken alot of inspiration for my trees from modern games. I dont want to go into too much detail here, (because i dont believe in giving some shadowy users the fruits of my knowledge without them submitting anything themselves.) but basically once you understand a bit about 3d modelling, you can reference back to games and see how the model was built etc.

Thats no problem about the larger textures... You did give me some hope. I think ive found a method.

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2010, 02:47:19 pm »
Rathmor demo should be ready by saturday, all being well.

The game will revolve largely around 1 map.

Custom items, enemy textures and maps etc will be used, but not all!