Author Topic: Old discussion and screenshots thread  (Read 37591 times)

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
Re: Rathmor Screenshots
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2010, 06:25:17 pm »
Yeah, ill need to check in game... In metaseq it was wavy...

I've noticed that if you simply add the texture to a cube or whatever like i did, its possible to have a wavy outcome. Everything i UV mapped via projection methods hasnt ever been wavy. I have to say, those map pieces were simply to test out the textures and i didnt UV them as i would other pieces. I got good feedback though!

If only i could output at a higher resolution....... My game would look miles better. I'm trying my best to work with the 256 output, but often the textures look hazy, so with some pieces ive recreated or started a fresh with some textures, and ive found a better method of outputting. Still, 512 output would be much better.

About the flail, well id love to do that but honestly i havent a clue about anims right now, ive not touched the animation sequence. The whole flail set i built individual parts to so the chain could be manipulated to swing if needed. Essentially there would be a stationary hold from the left of the screen, with a quick flick to the right, returning with a swing to the left.

I was thinking about this a while ago... Could you have two seperate _0.mdo's going at once? maybe i should try a _1.mdo to test...
That way you could have a real flaming sword... Normal sword swing followed by a trail of fire? Its just an idea.

Btw if you come up with a bow and arrow idea let me know, give me any of your collective knowledge based around the idea and ill try to implement it.

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2010, 07:21:48 pm »
Heres the castle.
Excuse the watermark.  :rainbow:
What do you think of the wall texture?
Thats what i really need to know!

Lower castle. (bear in mind that the nasty green wont be present when the game is released.)

Upper castle. You can stand on the fort roof in the distance, no mhm / msm problems.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2010, 07:48:12 pm »
I don't really understand (at all) "_0" or "_1"...

You can do 512 by using four 256 textures I reckon, though there may be a max textures per object limit I'm unaware of. With Ex you can use whatever you want however you want by substituting the textures at runtime.

You can setup a bow/arrow that would work without Ex, with the only limitation I know of being the arrow arc would be fixed. Like I said, you would need to use my x2mdl app, and hope that Som would recognize a 4th animation on the arm.

With Ex at some point we could in theory set up a way more elaborate arrow extension set based on sword magic and either controlling the arrow in flight (as a magic projectile) or changing which sword magic spell is used on the fly (so like there could be 5 depending on how far the bow was pulled back) ... the former approach would be superior though because you could adjust for gravity.

PS:  I've also seen Som use larger textures. Can't remember how much larger... posted about it somewhere. Looked like something a user cooked up. So it may be there is a backdoor, or maybe something like the 256 limit is just imposed by the tools and not the .TXR format / game exe.

PPS: Your screenshots would look a lot slicker with Ex.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 08:32:40 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2010, 06:54:22 am »
So does ex have a restricted output?

by _0.mdo i meant the swing model for weapons.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2010, 03:18:29 pm »
So does ex have a restricted output?

by _0.mdo i meant the swing model for weapons.

Not a clue what "restricted output" means. I've always been curious what the "swing model" is, but I don't think anyone's ever explained it to me. I think the composite armors may also use _0, though that may be just for the glove visual in the swing animation.

PS: Some posts of late seem to have gone missing...

UPDATE: Got that fixed, or Todd did^
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 04:01:25 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2010, 04:31:19 pm »
The swing model (the _0 model) is basically a slanted version of the still model in your inventory. It has to conform to the slashing/stabbing type you based it on. Everything has to be lined up with the stab or swing, so its sometimes a tedious buisness.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2010, 06:26:57 pm »
The swing model (the _0 model) is basically a slanted version of the still model in your inventory. It has to conform to the slashing/stabbing type you based it on. Everything has to be lined up with the stab or swing, so its sometimes a tedious buisness.

It would be interesting if you can replace that with an animated version of the weapon. I can't think why there would be a whole other model otherwise. Would've been simpler to just stick a few numbers in the .prf file for orienting it.

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2010, 05:22:01 pm »
Yup, though the swing only swings the slanted model - and if theres any other models attached or out of place they just look distorted.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2010, 07:19:41 pm »
Can you do me a favor, and try replacing a _0 file with the arm.mdl file (copy/rename it) and with an npc .mdl file. If it's possible to have an animated _0 file that should demonstrate something (between the two they should cover most of the possible animation ids)

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2010, 08:33:32 pm »
The _0 file is an mdo file. I'll try anyway.

Edited:

Didnt work and crashed.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 08:43:00 pm by Verdite »