Author Topic: Old discussion and screenshots thread  (Read 37590 times)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Re: Rathmor Screenshots
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2010, 07:08:12 pm »
Are these screenshots from in Som? Or from your modeling software?

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2010, 09:10:40 pm »
Moddelling software. Hence the specular and lack of shadow ..

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2010, 11:42:35 pm »
^How is shadow lacking?

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2010, 08:21:58 am »
I didnt add any shadow to the model, because it makes no difference in som, well not for me at least.

The models look better in the som display, possibly because they arent cast against a completely black background.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2010, 02:46:12 pm »
I guess I don't know what kind of "shadow" you're talking about. It may be just a visualization effect provided by your modeling software.

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2010, 10:19:46 pm »
Screenshot at last!  :biggrin:

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2010, 10:22:59 pm »
Why can't we get the lighting right on the weapons? Or is that right??

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2010, 07:16:28 am »
Its a texture i developed on my old pc that needs redone. My old monitor had bad contast / brightness that i couldnt adjust.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2010, 08:12:52 am »
Wow, I really like that.  The background looks so different from any other SOM made map piece I have seen so far, I would have liked to use this in my waterfall cliff area.  I like the bug retexture as well :)

Ben...SOM has some capacity for shading but its probably your lighting that is doing away with it.  When I get a chance and get SOM back up and running I am going to make a sample map with lighting that helps to make items have shading even when the shading is not baked into the texture.  Keeping your ambient lighting and extra lightsources down to about 100ish really helps, but youll have to adjust the angles that the lightsource is coming from to get the shading to stand out more similarly to how it does in your 3d modelling program.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2010, 04:51:08 pm »
For some reason the textures further back in the background there becomes wavy. I wonder why that is / if it's not just an optical illusion. I'm pretty sure it won't happen with Ex / mipmapping / anisotropic filtering etc. With Ex pretty much everything looks rock solid (the way you'd expect) always.

I've been playing Armored Core (the first game) lately and am pretty floored by how the wall textures are straight when close to them, but only a little ways down the hall they get really wonky / wavy. There is definitely some kind of LOD going on, but it should've been pushed much further back. I kinda wonder if it isn't being emulated by the PS3 correctly. Stuff tends to pop out of nowhere a lot as well. I don't remember KF2 being so bad, but it's hard to imagine this sort of thing was ever acceptable in 3D games... still the shear ambition of AC shines thru.

Woops: posted this in the wrong thread...

You might btw try making a custom arm model with the morning star baked in. That way you could animate the chain etc, and probably have a unique attack arc. In theory it should all work just fine unless some arbitrary limit (3) is placed on the number of animations read in for the hand (possible but unlikely)

PS: The only problem with this approach I can think of is all the weapons animated this way would have to be in the arm model. They could be tucked behind the player's back. And with any luck Som might not try to draw them, and Ex could go even further to make sure stuff completely behind the player is never drawn (so just to speed things up a smidgen)

In fact I see no reason why bows and arrows etc would not work. So I'm eager for someone to try to do that. Adding arm animations I've always been interested in. But this is the first time I thought of adding one animation per weapon (with the weapons themselves built into the arm model)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 08:32:19 pm by Holy Diver »