Author Topic: Old discussion and screenshots thread  (Read 37576 times)

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
Re: Rathmor Screenshots
« Reply #100 on: December 15, 2010, 05:12:55 pm »
Nice Ben, your models keep getting better and better.  Keep it coming, its getting my interest in starting another SOM game stirred!
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #101 on: December 15, 2010, 08:10:57 pm »
Sorry it seems theres been a misunderstanding  :biggrin:

I've probably not explained properly. The sword doesnt have a sheath attached to the swing model, the sheathed sword is only in the inventory screen. So the sheath you can see is in the inventory window and behind that is the swing model.

Oh yeah I get it now. Wasn't thinking about the equip screen preview. Should've taken the screenshot in the inventory. Hit tab I think to bring up stats there... speaking of which. I think maybe that means tab isn't interchangeable with ESC once in the menu. Might have to rethink some stuff Ex wise.

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #102 on: December 17, 2010, 12:31:30 pm »
Heres a new club. It has to be a one hander. Until i can make a two handed swing (instead of one arm for a two hander  :sick[1]:) then ill only use 1h
swing models.

Its called Brekker. Heh.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #103 on: December 17, 2010, 01:31:53 pm »
Have you gotten anywhere with x2mdl?

A treasure chest might be an easier exercise to warm up with than an arm (or pair of arms)

The one advantage the arm model has is the animations start at 0. So if you can get a single working animation in there, it aught to produce something results wise.

Doors and chests work the same way more or less in terms of animation. But I think there may be some special requirements control points wise for doors. It seems like the control points for the basis for collision maybe.

Anyway, animation ID 4 (the 5th animation) is open, and ID 5 is closed. There is an ID 0, so the counting may seem unusual... though that's how programmers do everything almost.

PS: If you want to animate the swing model. Make an animated .mdl file to match it, and I can set Ex up to replace the swing model's textures so it will be invisible, and replace it with the animated .mdl file instead. You can also animate the damage control points in the arm animations so that the damage zone can be/move just about any way you want. Would be nice if it's possible to have more than 3 arm animations.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 01:38:03 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2011, 08:11:34 am »
I was addressing you  :biggrin: i was using my psp though so my reply was shorter than i wanted.

Something i wanted to ask you... I was reading what you'd wrote about in this thread, using animation ID's and id like to ask, where can i find these ID's and edit them?

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2011, 05:34:36 pm »
I was addressing you  :biggrin: i was using my psp though so my reply was shorter than i wanted.

Something i wanted to ask you... I was reading what you'd wrote about in this thread, using animation ID's and id like to ask, where can i find these ID's and edit them?

They should be posted in the top page of the most recent x2mdl thread I'd started. The one with the bona fide releases.

The only values in files I know of are part of the .mdl files. In theory you could hand edit them, but there wouldn't be much point, other than at least one NPC I know of that has her sideways turns animations swapped so when you talk to her she looks away.

Todd believes the numbers are just conventional, and really it's the .prf files that ultimately select which animations to use (by id) for what.

http://www.swordofmoonlight.com/bbs/index.php/topic,383.0.html
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 05:36:30 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
First game ready soon.
« Reply #106 on: January 06, 2011, 08:17:28 pm »
*Wipes sweat from brow* I offered to help someone with a mod, so alot of my time has been spent making items and the like for them. I've been stressed out with some three programmes related to the mod, so finally i've some respite and can go back to my old project. I can say though, that i've made some nice new buildings and walkways for my game in the mean time...

I thought i'd let you guys know how things were going... I've had my hands tied a bit during my spare time with item problems. However i havent lost anything - i've gained alot of experience.

So! In the case of SoM, i've been rethinking about demo projects.

Instead of doing a full demo, i was thinking to make a small project, that i can just jump onto and lay whatever customs. I'll construct some simple locations and place some quests and the like, most of it wont be related to the full Rathmor game.

Then ill upload it. While i'm working on my game you'l be able to check out a few buildings and the like. That means you'l have more projects to mess around and play on with while you're waiting...

Ben

Thanks Holy. I still need a 3d programme that can deal with som's animations.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
Re: First game ready soon.
« Reply #107 on: January 06, 2011, 08:28:28 pm »
*Wipes sweat from brow* I offered to help someone with a mod, so alot of my time has been spent making items and the like for them. I've been stressed out with some three programmes related to the mod, so finally i've some respite and can go back to my old project. I can say though, that i've made some nice new buildings and walkways for my game in the mean time...

I thought i'd let you guys know how things were going... I've had my hands tied a bit during my spare time with item problems. However i havent lost anything - i've gained alot of experience.

So! In the case of SoM, i've been rethinking about demo projects.

Instead of doing a full demo, i was thinking to make a small project, that i can just jump onto and lay whatever customs. I'll construct some simple locations and place some quests and the like, most of it wont be related to the full Rathmor game.

Then ill upload it. While i'm working on my game you'l be able to check out a few buildings and the like. That means you'l have more projects to mess around and play on with while you're waiting...

Ben

Just do something already :evil:

Thanks Holy. I still need a 3d programme that can deal with som's animations.

There's only x2mdl afaik. You just need a modeler that can export animated .x or .dae files... or really anything that can fill the bill, but those I know can. Preferably without "skin and bones" type data, but if you can make an animation that at least doesn't look like skin and bones I can add some code to detect a degenerate skin/bone case and treat it otherwise (in other words all the skin weights would need to be all 1 or 0)

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #108 on: January 08, 2011, 08:13:42 pm »
Ill give Maya a try sometime i think it can export animations... I could be wrong.

I'm putting in alot of spare time into my game just as yourself and the other members have done so!  :razz:
Looking forward to putting my customs into downloads. Some are really useful.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #109 on: January 08, 2011, 09:25:45 pm »
Ill give Maya a try sometime i think it can export animations... I could be wrong.

All modeling suites that I know of provide some manner of animation. Probably the more limited the suites feature set the more Som friendly it would be. The real place to place your concern is in the export dept. I used Maya for a long time and still do in a pinch, but the only modeler I can sincerely recommend is Blender... which ironically I'm not very handy with, though once upon a time I was for like a week, but promptly forgot everything I knew about Blender because the damn UI is so counter intuitive for casual users.

I have a feeling Maya may not have many options in the export domain as is. But I haven't worked with a version of Maya newer than 5 so... anyway with commercial suites like Maya usually exporters are provided primarily by third parties, like Okino. I dunno how functional P2P crack sharing is now days, but I'm sure with a little ingenuity you could score all you need. These days I'm a little past uber commercial software / try not to use it for anything. I think we have all the tools we need so to no longer be dependent on commercial crap (powered by monkeys, focus groups and feature lists, and of course; industry sponsors)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 09:28:07 pm by Holy Diver »