Author Topic: Rathmor preview Aug 2010 (Updated 19/8/10)  (Read 10119 times)

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
Re: Rathmor preview Aug 2010 (Updated 19/8/10)
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2010, 07:11:49 am »
Before starting my project, i told dmp that i didnt have enough room for items, and that i would make chapters that would carry on as you suggested. Hmm... Something while we are on this subject, is would it be possible to restart your game with the same save data in a new game? I was thinking that a hard mode would be excellent... The only difference being that monsters yielded more exp, had higher defence values and so on, and maybe a few quests thrown in.

The items would have to stay the same, though at some point i will test to find out if i can increase the number...

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2010, 12:38:54 pm »
I like that idea too, so I've thought about it. From what I can recall it isn't really feasible.

The only way I could think to do it would be to make a copy of every map / make sure the warp events go to the new maps, and after the player finishes program a massive event to empty every item from their inventory (that they're not allowed to carry over) and reset every counter, then warp them to the cloned starting map. You could not reset their stats without an Ex extension of some kind. Pretty trivial otherwise I think.

You might be able to use one of the system events (Open Map) to set a clear counter and delay the reset until the next time they load the game (assuming they're locked into the final map)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 01:10:33 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2010, 03:59:33 pm »
Got a good solution to this. Check PM.  :rainbow:

Offline Madison Lastrega

• Decked in Promeus
  • Do, or do not, there is no try...... ~yoda~
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2011, 02:16:30 am »
Those numbers WERE in the INI file that I was looking for in the code.......... They are referenced in PRM.exe and MAP.EXE And SOMdb.EXE Sadly the INI was deleted after they compiled the programs to keep us from changing them ........Tis Sad I know.......... If you can think of a way to find the values in the source Please tell me whwer to look and I will try :)

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2011, 09:45:55 am »
Ben, I think you are going to run into an impossible challenge carrying save data over.  There are so many things the save data holds in it including map data that will just plain break if you try to pull it over to a game that doesnt have identical map information.

Here is a possibility though...

If rathmor were say 20 maps, you could have map 0 - map 19 be rathmor, with map 19 being only a warp/save game map to transfer the file over to another game.  In the sequel, you would have to begin on map 19 laid out identically to map 19 in rathmor, and then have maps 20+ be for the new game.  Now as long as you dont go back to maps 0-18 your save game wont blow up due to changed event data, however your save will still have all the items attached to it from the old game, so you couldnt add new items, unless you did as holy described and stipped the player of everything but his important gear (maybe map 19 he falls into an abyss and loses everything but his kickass sword and shield?).  Then you could delete out say 200 weapons/armor and make new ones for the sequel, you just need to make sure every item you bring over would be mapped identically in your item.prf and item.pr2 files between the games.

and last but not least, also holy mentioned, youd want to reset all counters to 0 on map 19 so you dont have any confusion.

So a reasonable scenario would be an event when you enter map 19, save, and then trigger a warp to map 20.  In rathmor map 20 is nothing but an event that triggers upon entry to show you the ending (it doesnt save or do anything to your game after you warp).  In the sequel, map 20 is the beginning of the game.

its worth testing...
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2011, 10:10:37 am »
Thats a damn good idea. The main character will always carry his sword with him... An item flagged as critical, so it cannot be rid of. So i suppose i could carry it over along with a set of armour, or a critical ring item that adds defence.

Btw the game im gonna release soon, is going to be a two map... maybe even three map game but the maps are gonna be big, example being the starting map which ive almost completed.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2011, 11:01:33 pm »
Is that how Critical works? The only non event way to get rid of an item is to sell it to a vendor which will accept it afaik.

Critical I think means after the item is dropped it won't disappear over time (usually after X more drops) but I may be wrong

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2011, 10:31:20 am »
I thought that it would work that way maybe i'm wrong.

It seemed to me that they would be like quest items... Oh well

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2011, 10:21:52 pm »
I thought that it would work that way maybe i'm wrong.

It seemed to me that they would be like quest items... Oh well

They are like quest items, in the sense if a monster drops one, you don't want it to disappear because it is a key item to finishing the game. Anyway I'm pretty sure that's the consensus theory for Critical. I think John posted what the manual said once. Unfortunately no one with a manual has scanned one cover to cover yet for public use.

I wonder how many copies of Som are in From's warehouse. In theory someone could buy them all up and become the new Som reseller or something.