Author Topic: Re: Galth Fee's armor  (Read 2359 times)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Re: Galth Fee's armor
« on: September 05, 2010, 08:49:51 pm »
I'm feeling game to start work on a Galth Fee set. I'm a little embarrassed though because I can't find the original files Todd gave me (which he had somehow ripped from the game disc)

I have all the files I'd derived from those files but not the originals... and I've looked everywhere :doh:

None of my derivative files have UV information. For me the original UV info is a must before getting started. I think the files you gave me were .lwo. I'm assuming those are the files produced by the ripper... otherwise it's important to be sure at no point along the way UV information was added, ie. by some generic projection mapping.

I will start by compiling the models/textures for the originals in the .blend format. And I'm hoping Som will accept those as MDL files so I can just use Assimp's Blender support / x2mdl so I don't have to subject myself to the unofficial Meta (sequoia) -> Som toolchain.

If I can't use x2mdl I will leave the Som import to others until I can setup a replacement x2mdo app. I don't think anyone will want to use the original graphics in a game at this point, but we could make sure everything lines up at least.

Ultimately going the txr/mdo route might yield superior colour depth, but that can be a last step.

PS: Was "Seath's" armor the Merril Ur equivalent to the Galth Fee set? Or did he have another set of armor not represented in Som?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 08:51:34 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline dragoonblade

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 07:24:18 pm »
As far as I know, yes, the 'seath's armour' is a armour used by Merril Ur (or as incorrectly referenced in KF2, Merlin). These items are already in the SoM maker too so that's all well and good.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 10:41:46 pm »
Here is a screenshot of the Galthfee armor, just to show it's not so hard to apply the texture.

I just took a screenshot of the UV coords in Blender; copied it into GIMP; then copied the texture squares from the Epsxe vram capture (which I attached to a post in another thread) over the loci of the UVs.

The textures are off by a texel or two, and that probably can't be helped without adjusting the UVs themselves, because they seem to start about one texel in (some PSOne notion of hardware bordering I'm guessing -- which might also explain why the texture mapping is F'ed up in Som)

What needs to be done, is the little squares need to all be put in one texture atlas image, and the UVs should be moved until they line up correctly. Also the armor is in two pieces... the second piece is the red jewelry around the neck. That should be merged into one mesh. I'm guessing it was split by the ripper maybe because it didn't overlap vertex wise... hard to see why it would not be in the same set otherwise.

I may get around to doing this just for the practice with Blender. But I'd like to encourage everyone to chip in if you can. Just let us know what you're doing so no one is doing the same thing. I will capture all the textures on demand if need be. Especially if one of us can do a good job with the this first piece of armor.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 10:45:05 pm by Holy Diver »