Author Topic: Hows it going Joe?  (Read 11637 times)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Re: Hows it going Joe?
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 07:40:30 am »
He mentioned taking a break on a number of occasions. Most people are quitters though. So I'd not be surprised either way.

I think you're jumping to conclusions. He has a family from what I understand so there could be any number of reasons for his absence. Since he's not even talking though my guess is his computer went kaput and he only had the one / is too good for the public library like John / may be depressed because he didn't have the sense to back his stuff up.

Computers are about the most unreliable thing in the world... you should have access to at least 3 at all times or shit like that will happen.

PS: Did Joe share any of his work with you? Also if you're not using Ex, you're just causing more work for yourself. If you're spending a lot of time working with Som you should be using Ex. You might not get burned out so quickly.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 07:50:01 am by Holy Diver »

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 12:27:45 pm »
I just backup all my stuff. Well, selectively. I try not to put too much on my plate at once, or i wouldnt get anything done...

Whatever happens, i was just trying to justify the dissapearance... A bit of notice woulda been nice. I'll just drop it until i hear otherwise...

I got very little from Joe, we were both planning on sharing models etc after game completion.

Without any offensive intent, what is ex used for? I used the SoMimp you made. I'm taking things steadily and having breaks when i need them. If i didnt love 3d design id have given up.  :smug:

Maybe.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 01:22:24 pm »
Ex is an extension framework for Som. It does pretty much everything I ever talk about unless it's expressly said otherwise. It's for extending Som. At this point it only extends the actual game part of Som. But will probably eventually be adapted in a limited fashion to help the editors cope with future shock.

It extends Som, so you can't say what it does other than to list off every single extension, which even now is a fairly large number. Basically it works thru an additional .ini file that is added to your game. The only other stuff you should be aware of is the font folder and the localization folder. The font folder you can include the fonts your game needs so the player doesn't have to install them. By default Som needs Japanese fonts which most people don't have on their computer, so that's essential. The ini file is a lot more elaborate than Som's config file. But that's what the author uses to configure Ex for their game. Some very basic stuff Ex does is make your game playable off a CD or over a readonly network, and I'll probably add via a compressed game... without at least one bugfix playing off a USB drive can be very frustrating. It fixes the countless bugs that plague Som. And makes your game just work for everyone and feel like a quality product. Whereas without Ex maybe as few as one out of three people would be able to get your stoneage game to even work.

If your working with Vista or 7 you can use the new D3D9 mode to avoid having your desktop jacked up everytime you launch a game/test. And you can run your game inside a window so you can do other stuff at the same time. Of course there are countless other extensions and before it's done there may be a hundred times that.

PS: That's not an offensive question. It just makes you seem dull. If you're making a game with Som, Ex is pretty much more indispensable than Som itself (and most certainly better software)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 01:29:07 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 05:59:23 pm »
Dull? Well i havent looked into ex at all, it sounds like it might be worth downloading, which ill do at some point before demo release.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 08:25:11 am »

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 08:02:31 am »
I know what dull means... I just dont know what context you placed it in, i was more unaware in my opinion.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 09:10:25 am »
When you're highly invested in a technology it helps to pay attention to developments within the technology. There are no shortage of posts pertaining to Ex in these forums (probably more than half are... for instance the D3D9 thread) ...so for you to miss all of that is not offensive, it only demonstrates a general aloofness on your part.

If you'd like to keep tabs on all posts in the forums, there is for the time being anyway, a link towards the top of every page which says, "Show most recent posts to the forum.", which you might want to bookmark.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 09:13:47 am by Holy Diver »

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 01:15:22 pm »
Thanks for the info.

I'm not making excuses, but my project is time consuming, and alot of my time spent on the pc is time on my project, so i generally dont keep up to date in some fields.

Offline Madison Lastrega

• Decked in Promeus
  • Do, or do not, there is no try...... ~yoda~
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 01:23:54 am »
Hi all, First of all I am no quitter, and thank you Ben for all your kindness............. I have been so busy with that thing called life and family , that som sorta fell on the wayside......(No pun intended)...... But I love modeling, And I still LOVE SOM........ So I still am working, and working on ways to make it more fun, if only to a select few......... Anyway I have a quick item for ben, we were talking last night, on the phone, and he asked me a questrion....... At the time I had forgot the answer, now I remember, so Ben to answer your question, to have tranparetcy in map pieces it is simple....... Have a sky selected, any sky....... I notice most of your screens are black (with out a sky) turn on any sky, and BAM, the black becomes transparent......... I think it has something to do with the fact that the sky itself, is an object, and ALL objects are like that so when the sky is engaged , the map acts like an object.................. Anyway I had to play with it for a few and then I remembered...............Any way I will be here way more now so , get ready for some fun times to had by all.............. ps I made this for a friend with a local production company over the holidays........ never mind the theme or anything else, just wanted you all to know that I always am modeling and working, even if it's not all for SOM, sorry you have to see this after the holidays, but you should still get major giggles from this all the same........ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cuk8FgokdG0    Love ML

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2011, 02:02:59 am »
Goddamn its good to see you post.

I will type tomorrow when Im not tired :)

Nice modelling in that video, youre coming a looong way, when will you guys tutor me so i can make some 3d xbox games?
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder