Author Topic: A sort of request, questions... and a hello. ^_^  (Read 18734 times)

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
Re: A sort of request, questions... and a hello. ^_^
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2010, 10:04:32 am »
Okay... Well i havent played kf2 before. If someone could send me a pic of the helm, i could make it.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2010, 08:35:49 pm »
Okay... Well i havent played kf2 before. If someone could send me a pic of the helm, i could make it.

I want to caution everyone against rushing out and replicating missing KF stuff. I'd really rather we do things in a more coordinated fashion so everything stays top quality and integrates well with the Som sets. Otherwise people might get jealous or something if it got to be where there was more than one version of the same thing. Also if you're going to do something from a set, at least be commit yourself to doing the entire set first so we don't end up with mismatched odds and ends.

EDITED: @Verdite, besides afaik you're the only one here who's expressed immediate interest in making some original mdl files. I would appreciate it if you'd try to do that for your game, then maybe you could show others how you were able to do it. I know you must have a lot of places you'd like to add doors etc in your game's own style. Afaik it was not even possible before to replace the textures on the doors... correct me if I'm wrong. I'd really like to see some of my work actually used by others.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 08:41:27 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2010, 09:04:51 am »
Thats fine, i personally arent the jealous or overly competitive sort. Eventually i will add a tutorial for creating objects items and the like, but i'm busy doing various things in my game.

Replacing textures is really easy, for anything... Providing you know what the textures name is. You'd find out the textures name by looking up its prf with a prf editor... (SoM editors know which ones to use  :biggrin:) Then, create your own texture in whichever image manipulation software you use, saving it as bmp, name it as the texture.

Go to bmp2txr, drop it in for map, grab your txr file and replace it wherever the original txr was located.

Btw. Those doors in SoM dont have a top face or a bottom... Daft really.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2010, 10:09:02 pm »
Replacing textures is really easy, for anything... Providing you know what the textures name is. You'd find out the textures name by looking up its prf with a prf editor... (SoM editors know which ones to use  :biggrin:) Then, create your own texture in whichever image manipulation software you use, saving it as bmp, name it as the texture.

Go to bmp2txr, drop it in for map, grab your txr file and replace it wherever the original txr was located.

Btw. Those doors in SoM dont have a top face or a bottom... Daft really.

For .mdl based assets it's not so simple, though come to think of it, it's not that hard either. I do recommend learning how if you want to keep any of the Som .mdl file but replace the texture. You basically gotta open the .mdl file up in a text editor and cut out the TIM graphic bits, and replace them with your own TIM graphics. It's not that tricky though because nothing has to line up. You just gotta know how to tell what is a TIM block in the hexeditor and you'll need a tool for converting custom images into TIM images (I doubt one comes with Som but I probably have one around here somewhere)

If a file has one texture it's pretty obvious where the texture begins and you just snip off the end of the file. I guess for more than one texture you can just clip them all off too. You can actually export the images with the Somimp_view tool I uploaded because it happens to have a texture export option.

EDITED: I think you do have the luxury of EnemyEdit and NpcEdit for those mdl files. I'm assuming they generate new mdl files anyway (I'd like to know otherwise) but for doors/chests I'm pretty sure there is no reskinning tool.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 10:13:09 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2010, 08:40:31 am »
Holy,

I got your message the other day, here are the .lwo files for the galth fee set.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2010, 09:25:12 pm »
Holy,

I got your message the other day, here are the .lwo files for the galth fee set.

Thanks, and can you move this post here (http://www.swordofmoonlight.com/bbs/index.php/topic,386.0.html) ...

EDITED: When I import these into Blender via the .lwo importer (that came with Blender when it was installed) I don't seem to be able to find any UV information in the imported data set. Are you sure there are UVs in these files? Maybe I don't know how to operate Blender or Blender doesn't import the UV info.

EDITED: Oh nvm, the UVs are only visible in Edit (versus Object) mode it seems.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 09:52:32 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline dragoonblade

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2010, 12:37:25 pm »
There's a question I have right now, because it's now starting to frustrate me when I'm trying to work on my maps. When I show a preview in the map editor for putting any items or enemies into position, the map cell often doesn't show, and enemies and items for the likes don't appear at all. This makes editing the maps rather difficult so I was wondering if anyone knew how to bypass that problem. I think it's the directX I use but unfortunately, I can't downgrade or other things I enjoy will break (and that will suck. Hard.)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2010, 02:03:28 pm »
There's a question I have right now, because it's now starting to frustrate me when I'm trying to work on my maps. When I show a preview in the map editor for putting any items or enemies into position, the map cell often doesn't show, and enemies and items for the likes don't appear at all. This makes editing the maps rather difficult so I was wondering if anyone knew how to bypass that problem. I think it's the directX I use but unfortunately, I can't downgrade or other things I enjoy will break (and that will suck. Hard.)

It sounds like you're trying to make a game with Vista or Windows 7. To put it simply that is not possible. Games are playable, but you really want to use Ex. Eventually I'd like to be able to give the editors the same treatment as the game runtimes (exe file that is the game program) but that's going to be a while yet.

In the meantime you need to use Windows XP. Hopefully you have an old (or new) computer laying around. Alternatively you can use a "virtual machine". If you're using 7 (Windows) you might be able to download "XP Mode" from the MS website, but you will still need an XP disc to install some extra components. The disc does not have to be licensed or anything. The main VM options I've heard of are VMWare and Virtual PC (a Microsoft product) ... the VMWare client is free if you have an image of a PC you can use with it (which I don't know if there are any restrictions on) and "XP Mode" is actually just Virtual PC with XP preloaded.

I've tried to lean on Todd to help create a Sword of Moonlight SDK that installs a VM with everything you need preloaded, but things like that almost never get done around here. Just too selfish/uncoordinated :rolleyes:

PS: Also Som is not painfully slow the way it is on Vista/7. That's a bug in one form or another. Now you know, so it's your job to tell the next soul that wanders thru :rainbow:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 02:08:03 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline dragoonblade

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2010, 04:39:05 pm »
Hrm, that's going to be a bother then, as I don't have any computers other than this current one (as my first post likely explained what happened, if not, basic recap, the computer completely overheated and blew up. Can't even start up) and the XP disc was given away when the computer blew up. Well, I suppose I can wait for the SDK if it comes so it's a bit easier to work with or at the least a map editor that works with windows 7. Fortunately, item editor and stuff works fine so I can always work on that while I wait.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2010, 04:59:11 pm »
I agree a kit would be nice, however I am unable to assist in the VMWare dept these days...

The VMWare session I once hosted was way too big a file to keep on this domain (a couple gig if I recall) and it is unlicensed, so it will try to phone home after about 30 days of use to register with a valid windows key...something I was never able to do because I didnt know exactly what release was installed (damn microsoft for making 50+ different releases of XP).

IPower also gave me shit about keeping that file on the domain claiming it was not a file I was allowed to keep on their space, they told me remove it or they would shut me down.

VMWare is a decent alternative, but unfortunately does have its own drawbacks.

Dragoon...are you using an onboard graphics chipset or an addon graphics card?  If youre using the latter,  you can disable it through hardware control and run on the basic VGA drivers which would probably fix your SOM editor bugs while youre simply editing your game...you would have to reactivate your graphics card to test with though...its just a big pain without a dedicated XP box...and even some XP machines dont run SOM perfectly...I know for me i had to disable direct3d everytime i used the editor, then turn it back on everytime i tested it which = tons of wasted time.

- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder