Author Topic: A sort of request, questions... and a hello. ^_^  (Read 18732 times)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Re: A sort of request, questions... and a hello. ^_^
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2010, 11:32:42 am »
That sounds pretty complex. I was intending for it to trigger at set locations though so that's no real worry. Thanks to the help here, I've already got most of the stuff planned out ahead (bar the models and stuff) and I'm already working on a few maps. Hopefully when I have some done, I'll try to find out how to do demos so people can see what's been done.

It's actually very simple in event terms. If monster form changes, then save the player's position. Warp the player (position changes) then put the position back. The events you'll have to setup to do what you want to do will make that look like child's play :evil:

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2010, 01:19:49 pm »
Well I took a texture grab of the Dark Armor real quick (http://glintercept.nutty.org/download.html)

The dark blue, sandy, and ruby squares comprise the texels in the framebuffer. I'm not entirely sure why the blue swatch shows up more than once in different sizes. Each one is probably part of the armor.

With the texture coords in place, it shouldn't be hard to slide things around until they line up. I will volunteer to grab the other textures if someone else does the mapping / armor first.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 02:10:42 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2010, 09:41:48 pm »
Something else I forgot to mention about that little program I offered to program to overwrite the MDL file animation IDs. I know of at least one NPC that looks to the left to talk to the player when they are on the right and vice versa, which could be easily fixed with just such a little program.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2010, 09:59:50 pm »
A few posts back you guys mentioned some things about armor item .prf's.

Just an fyi....there is a set of hexes you can modify that tells SOM what 'slot' the item should take up in the inventory.

There is 00 or 01 (off or on) trigger for the hexes, the first hex in the string tells SOM whether the item is equippable or just a usable item(this hex has top priority and will override the hex for the weapon/armor type if it were also set to 01 or 02)...the next hex says whether or not its a weapon or armor...depending on how this hex is set the next few hexes control the item type...so if you were to select weapon, the next few hexes (on/off switches) control if its a stabbing, slashing, two handed or poking weapon...conversely if armor is selected, the next few hexes identify whether its a head piece, chest, arm, leg, shield or accessory (or all slots such as the full suit set).

It really isnt very useful information I guess because its really much easier to just copy an existing item's .prf file and edit the item.mdo you want it to point to then worry about how all the hex info works.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2010, 10:33:23 am »
^So could you do a quick experiment and see what the armor type flags do when the weapon flag is on? I'd like to know especially if a weapon could de-equip the shield slot. But from your description it sounds like that's unlikely... however conversely it sounds like any combination of armor for full suit might work (is it right to assume a full suit is always equipped to the body?)

I'm not overly concerned because I'm confident with Ex this kind of thing can be made infinitely flexible... but only by somewhat sacrificing backwards compatibility.

Offline dragoonblade

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2010, 11:53:55 am »
I can confirm for you that all 'full plate' items equip to the body, and of the two I've seen, they remove the arms and legs items. What I find unusual is that the cresent axe model does not unequip the shield (but I suppose it's to remain true to KF where it didn't either, like the b'tard (don't want to swear X_X) sword) despite being a two hander.

It seems like my topic's really got people's ideas flowing, and I'm happy that it has helped (I think?) start something.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2010, 08:39:16 pm »
Holy...when you turn the flag for weapon all the hexes afterwards designate the weapon type and no longer have any bearing on the armor slot.

The weapon/armor hex is either 00 (weapon) or 01 (armor) so basically equipping a weapon cant affect an armor slot.

Also because of this, a weapon can't provide defensive stats or vice versa.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2010, 09:22:34 pm »
Holy...when you turn the flag for weapon all the hexes afterwards designate the weapon type and no longer have any bearing on the armor slot.

The weapon/armor hex is either 00 (weapon) or 01 (armor) so basically equipping a weapon cant affect an armor slot.

Worth asking. A file format is pretty arbitrary, it doesn't determine anything per say. And I can't think of anything that would distinguish a weapon from armor other than the swing type.... so it just seemed like otherwise that would be a lot of unused bytes, as typically an id like that is not variable in length. Add to that the fact that any reasonable designer would've left those bytes open because even in KF games a bow and arrow de-equips the shield I'm thinking. The overlap of the atk/def fields is more understandable though poorly thought thru.

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2010, 07:48:54 am »
I would guess if people are really struggling, a tutorial would be helpful... o_o; I'm currently playing with the excellector model and I can see it works (and is abnormally bright when being swung around... but, when one gets something for free, you don't look a gift horse. ^_^; )

Hi Dragoon nice to meet you.

I will help todd with the tutorial when the times right. But at present anyone who needs help comes to the forum to ask.

Offline dragoonblade

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2010, 04:18:26 am »

Worth asking. A file format is pretty arbitrary, it doesn't determine anything per say. And I can't think of anything that would distinguish a weapon from armor other than the swing type.... so it just seemed like otherwise that would be a lot of unused bytes, as typically an id like that is not variable in length. Add to that the fact that any reasonable designer would've left those bytes open because even in KF games a bow and arrow de-equips the shield I'm thinking. The overlap of the atk/def fields is more understandable though poorly thought thru.

Actually, in KF, up to about KF4, the bow and arrow or crossbow doesn't remove your shield at all. I've tried it out and as odd as it seems, apparently it allows you to use a bow with a big clunking tower shield that's just far too big to even use a bow and arrow with.

Also, thanks for the greeting Verdite, and I apologise for my lack of posting as I just got out of hospital from a bus accident. X_X;