Author Topic: A sort of request, questions... and a hello. ^_^  (Read 18736 times)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Re: A sort of request, questions... and a hello. ^_^
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2010, 11:02:00 am »
Hmm, I haven't done the model stuff too well (I kinda fail at it) so I can't really say Holy. But like I said, you don't NEED save games, I can provide the links to codes so you can just simply have the items right off the bat (As well as have items that generally weren't included or disappear like when Excellector changes form).

As for replacing... I really don't think that'd be appropriate as I want to make use of all six elements (like KF4 did). So I guess I will just need to make do with what we have and work around it (Until someone makes a editor that does allow these things XD)

Most likely more than 8 affinities will have to wait until I can complete a Som simulator (read: emulator) which could be an additional feature which would NOT be supportable under classic Som. Like I said, if you replace the "pierce" affinity with light you should have 6 magic affinities. Just light would be determined by str instead of magic. That doesn't seem totally weird... in KF light has always stood apart from the other affinities.

EDITED: Making sure you monsters have equal parts physical/magical defense would also help. At that point the only diff would be light attacks get a boost from the STR stat versus the MAG stat. It's kind of weird the way Som works in this respect. You can make for instance magic which does physical damage. The magic recovery is still magic based. In my game I don't want it to be a level up deal, so I set the weapon stats very high (by a factor of 10) so STR/MAG only contribute a little to damage dealt. Then to keep the numbers simple I rewrite the text so the equip stats you see are divided by 10 (eg. 150 become 15)

Note that STR/MAG still effect many things independent of damage/defense... swing recovery, carrying capacity, for example. And in my project many events are dictated by STR/MAG including life regen / magic degen, and an advanced weight system.

As for savegames. What you need to do is fire up KF in an emulator, and use your cheats to fill up the inventory, and then save the game. Then attach to a post somewhere in the forum, and someone will maybe take over for you from there for now.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 12:46:31 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline dragoonblade

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2010, 12:10:34 pm »
Well, I've gone and done everything but keys and common items for the second one, and done practically everything but keys for the first KF. The file I've submitted has a memcard file, you just use it with ePSXe and it'll have the two saves there. Hope this helps you guys out (I have to admit, KF1's dark crystal is awesome looking, and so are the rest of the crystals).

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2010, 12:47:19 pm »
which could be an additional feature which would be supportable under classic Som

CORRECTION: which would NOT be supportable :doh:

Offline dragoonblade

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2010, 12:55:54 pm »
Lol, it happens... and I hope those save files were helpful. Unfortunately I cannot get KF 4 saves so someone else will have to grab those, sorry about that.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2010, 02:29:51 pm »
I don't believe there has been much interest in KF4 as it relates to Som. I think Som is up to matching KF4 graphically. If you can get it playing on an emulator you can probably use the same technique to capture the textures. The 3D graphics I dunno. Myself personally I think it's a little too soon to horn in on the PS2 being an active console, and KF4 as well (being the newest KF game)

Offline dragoonblade

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2010, 02:55:24 pm »
You're probably right about that, and now I have a curious question to go along with this.

If I wanted to add monsters as NPCs or as equipment armour, how would I be able to do that? I can see the full plate item unequips other items when used, so I was wondering if that would be possible with similar effects from monsters used as equipment. Also, as I saw in Tom's Trimagitus, he was able to make monsters into working NPCs (which I'd like to do, as I'd like to include a monster town or two)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2010, 03:10:16 pm »
I'm definitely interested in converting all monsters to NPCs myself. The trouble is the monsters use a different set of animations. I'm in the process of developing a tool suite for working with monsters/npc files but it's going to take me a little while yet to iron out the details. I've completely reverse engineered the model file format. And I think I could quickly write a program that reads in a file and remaps the animation IDs so that you'd end up with a .MDL file for the monster but with the correct NPC animation ID mapping.

If you want to convert all the monsters into NPCs this way for us I'll definitely cookup that program for you. NPCs have a lot of animations that monsters don't, like turn to the right to face the player etc. You'd just have to pick a neutral animation for all of those. But you could definitely make sure the new monster NPC wouldn't do anything weird like die when you talk to it.

If you want to make monster suits (as I understand you) that unequip the other stuff you're wearing, that sort of thing is going to be in the item .prf file. I don't know to what extent we've collectively mapped that out. I'm very interested in making equipment like this myself. So for like a two handed sword for instance. Ideally there are some bytes in the .prf files that are very flexible, but there's no guarantee... it's very possible that the full plate armor is just a special item class that was hacked in to make KF1 work.

Ultimately once I have a better understanding of the memory, we could setup an extension to do this kind of thing for ourselves. Including detecting what equipment the player is wearing in events and even equipping things for the player (like upgrading a fire sword to "fire sword lv2" without requiring a re-equip)

Offline dragoonblade

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2010, 03:29:03 pm »
That sounds like a wonderful idea on that last part (and would be cool too, considering how some weapons can grow as we've seen in many games). The monster suit thing is more to do with what I discussed with Tom on, about changing the character's form to being a monster (and I figured, the best way to do that would be to do events, have said suit equipped on so you effectively are monster statted defence wise and taking from Tom's suggestion, have different maps that then show the monsters behaving differently to you (as NPCs) and people who'd normally trust you being hostile (which we can do, hurray for having human enemies of both genders).

Sounds like a lot of work but if I pull it off right, it will make the game hold a lot more depth as more perspectives are revealed. :D

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2010, 07:43:54 pm »
If you need to change maps to do the monster transformers thing then you can't just change anywhere you feel like it, because the warp coordinates are baked into the event. I suppose you know that already because you can't detect equipment in an event anyway. So basically you'd have to go to a wardrobe or something where you keep all your monster suits to make it work. And they probably couldn't be real equipment either.

It will probably eventually be possible to use extensions to like have the player's coordinates synchronized with some counters... then detect what equipment the player is wearing... if it's changed, backup the player's coordinates in your own counters. Do a map warp to your new perspective map. Then once in the new map copy your original coords into some special counters used to write over the player's coordinates. Might need to use some special blackout counters if the fade to white/black couldn't cover everything.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 07:46:30 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline dragoonblade

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2010, 09:35:24 am »
That sounds pretty complex. I was intending for it to trigger at set locations though so that's no real worry. Thanks to the help here, I've already got most of the stuff planned out ahead (bar the models and stuff) and I'm already working on a few maps. Hopefully when I have some done, I'll try to find out how to do demos so people can see what's been done.