Author Topic: Direct X 9c support  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Direct X 9c support
« on: June 23, 2010, 09:36:39 pm »
I'm not positive this is the absolute best use of my time at the moment. But I'd just like to announce that I've been successful as far as I can tell in cramming multiple versions of DirectX into the SomEx library. This is a somewhat interesting feat because the DirectX headers are in no way compatible (will cause your compiler to explode if you include more than one)

Anyway that was the part I was kind of curious whether or not it would even be realistically possible. What's left to do is mostly a lot of mindless marathon finger work. Though there very well may be some logistical problems adapting the DirectX7 methodology to DirectX9 etc's along the way.

Fortunately the problem can be approached more or less piece mill because the Direct X components overlap very little. So I will probably just focus on graphics for a while. For DirectX7 it's only necessary to implement the interfaces which require monkeying with. But with DirectX9 every interface which Som would require must be implemented, so that will be a lot of work. Fortunately that is probably a only a smallish subset of all of the DirectX9 interfaces.

DirectX9 has an Ex mode which is exclusive to Vista (and 7 surely) which I think is probably there to cover all of the compatibility stuff that DX10 addresses. So I'm thinking there is probably not much gain to be had in implementing 10 and 11 though some day that might make sense. But I haven't actually looked into it.