Author Topic: Diadem of Maunstraut  (Read 65629 times)

Offline Hguols

• Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2009, 04:41:41 pm »
No fair!  You guys get to post and I'm stuck at work!  Oh well....   it's true what they say.  If you want "fair" in life, you have to drive to it and buy tickets.

I'm thinking that is John's hypothesis that if you changed padCfg6 in the .ini file TO paddfg6 - it will work.  (that means leaving the GAME.EXE alone for that to work)  It really doesn't work?  I'll let him know....

Speaking of hypothesis, I'm betting I messed up an Always On event on one particular map as far as the disappearing Dark Guide.  

I'd like to offer input on DoM, but I'm afraid that what I offer will be like what I created.  I definitely made the game according to my preferences.

I was going for a bit of a barren feel to the game, especially starting out, in correlation to the opening story that its at "the world's/Maunstraut's darkest corner".  

Not to be critical, but I'm not huge on handed explanations either.  I really loved finding strange equipment, but hated finding "all about it" in a section I just so happened to sooner or later traverse.  To me, the mysteries of the world offer an attraction unparalleled to something fully explained.

Sonneillon's equipment in DoM, Galth Fee's equipment in KFI, and probably 45% of the equipment in Shadow Tower (among others KF-ish games) are good examples of good (mysterious) items - that "hungry for more" in a good way, rather than full and eventually complacent.  

I can't think think of another word other than "buzz kill" when it comes to unraveling Sonneillon.

I do agree about the character being "naked" starting out being a bit strange.  "We want you to save the world, but you can't take anything with you."  Could have thought that one through a little better for DoM....

You're mention of the "old NPC local lore" - I'm guessing you didn't find La Vierge in DoM?  He identifies all your items and equipment.

You guys mentioned ASSESS - There are two types of "shops".  "Trader" which is the typical buy/sell, and assess which is the "fortune teller" ala KFI or La Vierge in DoM.  Assess shops display EVERYTHING in YOUR inventory, and display the descriptions you've put in the parameter editor for each item.

(I think your storage "shop" is a great idea, but I wouldn't tie an NPC to it myself.  (think re-occurring vault)  Do I sound misanthropic or antisocial in not wanting a game full of "those fucking people"?  If you've got an object, you can set up a "shop" (for a vault) via event - since you could use the same shop, it would be nice to pick up something a little too heavy at a different part of the game from the same storage.)

The weight limit is a great concept too, but I ran into problems with that for DoM.  If you'll notice, the weapons weigh a matter of ounces - even setting it to 1.5lbs, the weapon swung like someone trying to gather the strength to swing a ceder tree.  Why?

Physical Strength.  DoM, the player starts out with a strength of 3 - with a strength of 30 starting out, a 1.5lb weapon would be cake to swing.  However, higher strength means you'll need higher stats for all the enemies....   and I completed quite a few of them before I worked on weapon concepts.  Ok, here's some proof that I have tendencies to be lazy - by the time I figured out "weights", I didn't want to change a huge section of the game I already completed - especially with a weight concept more or less out.

....I guess if you times every enemy and weapon stat by 10, you could come up with some realistic weighing weapons.  Since I didn't have equipment weight as a factor, the armors and accessories all weigh 0.0.

Don't get me wrong - I do not disagree with the changes you're contemplating on applying.  I really AM truly looking forward to your remix, more or less regardless of what you do - I think it is a wonderful gift to me.  (is that egotistical to say?  ...heh, "for me".)

SoM has a lot of quirks, something I believe I've found out a lot about in my months experiences with the program.  ....for instance, hitting enter in formatted messages, standard messages and parameter descriptions since the word wrap isn't meant for English.  (Yay!  Japanese types no spaces!  Yay!  It doesn't wrap words, it chops them!)

Another quirk?  Either one of you guys tried to make a defensive spell?  (and it doesn't save your settings)
*evil laughter*

....I'm sure there are a few more, but I can't think super clearly right now, as I'm headed to the gym for some high class pushing.

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2009, 05:11:05 pm »
I agree with you on all accounts more or less. But I want to change it only slightly, and the basic premise of Sonellian's armor works is just right I think for the job (assuming everything balances out)

Tom explained to me why your weight calculations didn't work out. I'm going to take him for his word, and apply his prescription to all your equipment and hope it works out (I think everything needs to have a weight)

Possibly with 0 body you are swinging a cedar tree. 0 body stat would probably qualify as some enfeebled status (a la curse or whatever)

SoM just doesn't have enough armor to go around. I swear it's like they just made enough pieces for a KF1 remake?!? (and then lock you out of making more -- and if I could just re-skin the fuckers that would stretch for miles)

But you know... if however a name is attached to the armor, then the name has to be legendary... otherwise no one would know what to call it  :twisted:

As for the squire... I'm a sucker for realism. Even if you're taking on the forces of darkness (or whatever in this case) focused on an entire kingdom... at the least you're gonna need a bed to sleep in and food to eat, and if not a wife to look after the place while you're off to work, a squire.

^He won't say much. The arch demons will also be able to summon him for you to their lairs (so you can easily equip for the elements) ...and probably they will take all your HP and MP for the job :twisted:

Anything more populated than a ghost town is too much in any self respecting KF game anyway. For every NPC I add, I could scratch two. Of course I found the ASSESS guy (I even mentioned him like 3 or 4 posts back / moving him to the starting courtyard... instead of a literal hole in the wall!!)

Who else would be willing to quarantine themselves with a champion than his squire and an old man soon to die anyway??

I think I will add a number of monster NPCs though. If that is I can make that work somehow (you have a logman already in DoM so I'm hoping that will work)

PS: I don't think there is room to really explain Sonellian via his equipment anyway... Just what the equipment actually does (the player needs to know after all... and your descriptions already contain so much)

I'm planning on seriously reworking three or four points of the game event wise for the remix. Also I think I'm going to completely remake the Wind Lair from scratch, because it just doesn't feel like wind enough. I will probably recycle the Wind Lair map as a castle dungeon (defacto Dark Lair) ...and I'm thinking of adding a mid-game-boss to that map (who has Mithras captive... but is also captive himself)

I also have special plans for the Light Armor which will be the fourth priority after reworking the final battle (which might require four more mini-maps based on combination of elementals which require gaining the favor of two arch demons to unlock... the total of 8 maps will each have a piece of Light equipment unlockable with a light key which the four arch demons cough up sometime around the point you get the prism of whatever... only Light Armor will prove virtually useless because it protects against light -- not dark... so it must have a special purpose... ah complexity)

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2009, 05:20:12 pm »
when i was referring to assess i did mean the vendor type btw.  Like tom said that is how you get the npc to tell you about the items in your inventory.  The work around for your situation (as i mentioned earlier) is to simply remove the description from the items you want only special npcs to know about...and then create "haveitem=1" events for the items in question with the various npcs scattered about.

additionally, the weight system in SOM is based on kilograms and not pounds, which might added to your confusion in creating 'realistic' weights.  If you consider that 1kilo = 2.2 lbs then you can understand that a standard medieval dagger weighed about .5 kilos (just over a pound) and a long sword somewhere in the range of 1.7-2 kilos.  An axe would likely be 2.5 kilos or more.  At that rate the game actually does make sense if your character starts with a strength of say 5-10 and it increases by one every level and every 100 attack swings.  The character could start out swinging a dagger/short sword just fine and in a few levels pick up a long or broad sword and have decent recovery.  Believe it or not Tom, your weapons having a 1 kilo weight isnt that far off from reality ;)
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2009, 05:24:30 pm »
In response to Holy (btw what is your real name I hate going by board names hehe) a couple things.  

-encumberance can be added, its in the system table.
-if your SOM.DB is crashing it might be due to the fact you reinstalled but didnt set the compatibility mode on all the programs SOM uses to windows 98 compatibility.  Also, if it is crashing on the map editor, you will have to disable direct X.
-I am working on the tutorial now, cant say how fast I will be done, but i will try to make it as detailed as possible.  check it out so far if you havent (its quite short atm but its a work in progress..)

www.swordofmoonlight.com/Tutorial.htm
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2009, 06:03:32 pm »
If it isn't straight forward to have an NPC assess items selectively for you, I will just have the one know it all. I've seen the SoM dialog, and it looks like that should work at a glance (and it would be dumb not to)

Also I think the NPC storage should work at well. Though my game is bugging at the moment so I can't test it. Unfortunately if it does work, probably the storage NPC has be setup to buy every item (I will give the squire a 1 coin tip if so)

PS: What does it take to make an NPC sit? And I just know I had another half decent question on the tip of my tongue??? Oh yes... I think I wanted to know if it is possible to Truth Mirror monsters?? I never could get that to work in DoM. Or what about Truth Mirroring items before taking them? Though there is a good change I'll take the TM out of this DoM remix. Also no online guides, and no easy in game maps if any... only knowledge of DoM might save you :twisted:

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2009, 06:08:12 pm »
I think compatibility should be inherited by subprocesses, but if this persists, I'll try anything. Right now though the weather is miserable and there is a good chance the power will go out (my satellite modem probably won't last long for that matter... so this is good bye for today)

Before I go though, I had a good idea for a Wind Lair before I forget (if it will work) ...basically I need an event to push the player around like wind. And one strategy for counteracting this instability is trying to get your weight up as high as possible to negate the effect. It's a good idea regardless... I should add it to the wishlist thread I started over in the "for the fans" dept.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2009, 07:10:54 pm »
Your download finished and seems intact (first time I've had to use a download manager on this machine)

My name is Michael, if two syllables are too much, Mick (just for the record -- with peers, I only answer to Michael :twisted:)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2009, 07:40:54 pm »
^But I prefer holydiver (my screen name) ...two words, however you like it.

Less confusing for readers that way :twisted:

I just use Tom/John because I never can remember their screen names (laziness) ...actually I just realized today HwitVlf (I think I got it) is probably John (waiting for a confirmation on that)

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2009, 07:49:30 pm »
Ya thats john, and when i remember how to add you to the side projects group I will do so, now let me have a look see for that permissions function....
Site Founder

Offline Hguols

• Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2009, 08:03:36 pm »
CRAP!  I didn't know HwitVlf was John.  

I just thought he was a random contributing person.  Well that kind of makes more sense of things.  I learned something today!  

Also, I pretty much figured out what "encumbrance" means as well - I saw it on a game and thought "eh, probably like stamina or something", Todd used the word again and I needed to know.  Thanks to my friend Webster's book, thus another light bulb has been activated!

When I think of the name HolyDiver, I think of Dio.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was in reference to Dio.

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.