Author Topic: Diadem of Maunstraut  (Read 65630 times)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2009, 09:46:21 pm »
Yeah, I follow you, and understand the ins and outs of everything as well as anyone might... if I seem generally aloof or out of the loop, it's just because I'm always severely pressed for spare time (to enjoy or get into this sort of stuff)

PS: I posted this with a weird behaving usb keyboard I just plugged in, so I had to make some compromises... btw, I've been playing DoM on a HDtv (technically it's an amazing monitor that swings both ways) very awesome... also found out the F. Blade was the titualar SoM! Who knew~

The Divine SoM is too much btw... what is the diff between that model, and the other?

PS: I found the question mark... left shift + right shift??? Wtf is up with this keyboard???

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2009, 10:20:43 pm »
Surprisingly the game does look good on a large TV.

My brother hooked his PC up to a 1080p 50" that he has and was playing a few of the stages of my game for me to let me know what he thought.  I was impressed how it looks.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2009, 10:57:00 pm »
^The 16-bit colour mode looks really good too (well with my drivers at least)

I remembered why that keyboard was acting bizarre... I forgot I pulled half the keys off this laptop and rearranged them so I could program with it :P

Also had to edit Windows low level keymap which is actually a pain in the ass and not supported by any official/builtin tools (it's just a registry thing for OEM guys I think)

Anyway... I had a lot of other DoM stuff on mind that didn't make it out earlier. I probably can't remember half of them. The ones I mentioned earlier first...

Yes, my Dark Guide now goes away whenever I use it, so I pretty much have to use the RoSalvation first, use the guide, then reload if I want to keep the guide.

For Tom, about Akryl's sword, I don't think I mentioned that before, though I did grab it last night. In the middle of the night actually... couldn't sleep. That was when I decided to hook this laptop into the HDtv (like monitor actually)

I found another one of Akryl's Skulls later conveniently. A freaky head monster dropped it (is he supposed to wig out like that, or is that a glitch??) ...anyway, I'm assuming there can be only one instance of Akryl's Skull in the game, or am I wrong? And it's good to know where his skull ended up, after passing it along to that fountain :twisted:

Speaking of which, I think your online map is wrong again. I think it say Revenge of Ersatz, where I stole Chaos Lightning. I could be wrong though, but I think that is where I got CL. If not, I'd like to know where (the magic pedestals don't exactly tell you what magic you're learning)

I thought the petrified SoM or whatever would be stone in the remake, but I guess not.

Also I'm curious what event too the seal down from the right/left hand path area or whatever. Was it talking to the priest or whoever that blesses everything?

About remaking DoM. I can probably find the energy to remake it on two levels. One I can re-balance it and stuff, just change things around, like a basic remix. And two, I could probably build on to it to the point it's basically a sequel (though a retelling of the same events)

If you feel like you're spent on it, passing it on to someone else to monkey around with, would probably be a good way to extend it's life span.

If SoM permits it, I could probably almost double the number of maps in the game. I sorta feel like there should be areas in the elemental domains that are too difficult to venture into, until you've spent some time in all the elemental areas and have acquired some elemental weaponry. The exp seems to build up too fast, so it probably wouldn't be hard to cut it in half and double the game length. I think it would be interesting if the arch demons weren't actually antagonistic to the player, and instead feared the final boss, so that you talk to them to enter their realms to gain their power (which you somehow need to defeat the final enemy)

I think it would be cool btw to have a straight-up rock soundtrack for a remix.

If I can start playing with this remix idea, I'll probably make a new thread somewhere, so I can ask for advice about implementing different things (basically just -- is X even possible type stuff)

I will probably use the Japanese SoM unless I run into trouble. I might make a Japanese version of DoM while I'm at it. Just to further rub it into the face of the Japanese for not doing more with SoM :twisted:

PS: The problem I was having before with getting DoM into debug mode, wasn't a patch problem. It was just I hadn't thought much about how SoM organizes it's resources (ie. in a central filetree) ...once I copied DoM's data files into my SoM data filetree, everything seemed swell.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2009, 11:06:26 pm »
Another odd thing I noticed. I dunno if this is supposed to happen, but when using the Star of Lore (and I think the Hell Hands) I gain MP (and possibly HP for the hands) whenever my magic connects. So like, if there are two giant plants next to one another, and I hit them with Chaos Lightning, I actually end up gaining more MP than the MP I needed to cast the spell (100MP) ...that just seems wrong. So I'm thinking, it would be better if these items only drained when using a weapon attack (and can SoM differentiate between the two, or is it just not that capable?)

Speaking of which, I get pretty depressed when I think about the state of SoM when it was released. I wonder if From never released patches. The fact that I have to reset that one button in the joypad config every time I turn it on is ridiculous. I can't remember if I got that to work by manually editing the config file way back (when I was playing Japanese SoM games without the tool) or not??

There are other such bugs, which just should not be there for a boxed product, unless they're just a side effect of Windows not being 100% backwards compatible to the time (speaking of which, Vista has a number of backwards compatibility options which I've yet to try with SoM executibles -- dunno if any of them might help)

PS: I also usually equip the ice armor when using CL, because the Truth Mirror guy/gal(?) says it amplifies magic (does it really work that way?)

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2009, 07:41:04 am »
SOM can support tons of maps, however there may be an issue with how it loads visited maps into the RAM on your PC...if you have a powerful machine you may never have a problem...but for less powerful PCs it seems to chug after several map changes.

The controller remap bug can be fixed, it is an error somewhere in the output file...I forget exactly how to fix it, but Tom/John know how and will likely post the fix here.
Site Founder

Offline Hguols

• Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2009, 11:13:06 am »
To fix that controller bug, for one method, you need a hex editor.  
Open up the GAME.EXE in the hex editor and search for the TEXT string:

paddfg6 (case sensitive)

Replace it with:

padCfg6 (case sensitive)

Save it.  Tada!  Fixed!  Actually, you can even fix it by replacing the padCfg6 with paddfg6 in the .ini file.  (if you don't have or don't want to use a hex editor)

Such a simple fix, but since SoM was neglected....

As for the Star of Lore and magic, I didn't realize this until I was almost done with the game.  Even with the "magic absorb" setting low (5 out of 100), it is based on damage done - so with an uber spell like Chaos Lightning....   together they make unlimited magic.  Oops.

I guess one work around is a similar workaround I used for Castlevania : Symphony of the Night.  

I thought to myself, "Man, this game is too easy!!  I totally dominate with the Criss?grim and a Ring of Varda."
Then I thought to myself, "I bet the game would be harder if I didn't use those."

....so I guess a workaround solution for you, would be to stop using Chaos Lightning and take off your Star of Lore if you don't want the game handed to you.  ^_^

I know, that's something I wish was a little different myself.

The Ice Armor does magnify magic power - by a little bit, just like the fire Armor magnifies physical power, by a little bit.  Luckily, it's not as much of a "game leak" as the Star of Lore.  The same number from "Increase" to "Absorb", everything goes to hell.

That's very strange about the Dark Guide....   I currently have no explanation for that one.  Does it vary from map to map?

As for that "Supreme Lord Wyrm" (the freaky head monster you referred to) I've also noticed, despite much testing, that all the enemy models glitch pretty bad when their size is boosted to 3.  (Actually, you can get their size to 9 ~if I'm doing math right~ because you can put their size to 3 in the parameter, and then 3 again in the placement, making even normal sized monsters ridiculously huge.  They act blind and get stuck on walls and other obstacles something terrible when they shouldn't ....

Chaos Lightning is learned by just getting to Level 40.

I'll upload the DoM package, hopefully later today, and try to get that zip to you.  Retelling the same story sounds great - however, I guess my initial expectations were that you'd remix the whole game....  not just a couple "levels".  

*shudders*  If you would have said "metal" I would have laughed - I'm doing black metal versions of some of the music I made for Dark Destiny for some future label shopping.

I'm glad that DoM is finally working in your copy of SoM.  Once again, I'll get that together (after work) and upload it for you....

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.

Offline Hguols

• Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2009, 06:20:22 pm »
I'd like to consider myself a man of my word. (at least now in my life)

So here it is, after work, and here to download is the complete Diadem of Maunstraut project - WAVs and all.

DOM.rar - 69MB.

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2009, 08:16:11 pm »
my mouth waters to download that and take a peak, but i dont want to mess up my files hehe.

mayhaps i will put this on my other machine!
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2009, 09:44:36 pm »
Quote from: Hguols
....so I guess a workaround solution for you, would be to stop using Chaos Lightning and take off your Star of Lore if you don't want the game handed to you.  ^_^

I know, that's something I wish was a little different myself.

I'm just disappointed SoM works that way. The drain MP ability should obviously not go to spell damage??

I've dropped the SoL in favor of the Sonellian Charm, though I'd happily equip it to down some monster plants. I'm using the Sonellian Helmet and Shield with the Light Armor set. Might mix in some Abyss Armor, dunno. I gotta admit, I like it when the armor pieces are more accessorizable (read: esthetically interchangeable) than just a bunch of full sets.

That's very strange about the Dark Guide....   I currently have no explanation for that one.  Does it vary from map to map?

It just disappears from my inventory after I cancel out of the view from now on. Also the servant of Baal just keeps asking for 5k no matter how much I give him.

Chaos Lightning is learned by just getting to Level 40.

I dunno why, but I just like to know what triggers what...

I'll upload the DoM package, hopefully later today, and try to get that zip to you.  Retelling the same story sounds great - however, I guess my initial expectations were that you'd remix the whole game....  not just a couple "levels".  

Well usually a remix just means moving treasure and enemies around, and maybe rebalancing some stuff. I will see how easy it is to copy whole level sections at a time I guess. I was thinking of doing like an alternate mirror world type thing with KF1... or something (on top of just mixing things up)

*shudders*  If you would have said "metal" I would have laughed - I'm doing black metal versions of some of the music I made for Dark Destiny for some future label shopping.

Not sure what you're getting at with Metal vs. Rock (Metal is a sub-genre afterall) ...I just meant guitars instead of organs / faster pickups / simplified chords. Classical with a contemporary soundtrack is always fun for a change. :twisted:

I'm glad that DoM is finally working in your copy of SoM.  Once again, I'll get that together (after work) and upload it for you....

It's been working for a while. Sorry, I got it going (think I said so) not long after the local whose name starts with an H / escapes me (edited: HwitVlf) weighed in.

edited: Yeah! Quotes are working today :twisted: (oh nvm, the cited quotes, still not working :evil: )

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2009, 10:34:13 pm »
My guess on the item becoming consumed when used is perhaps you opened the .exe up as an SOM file, made a minor change somewhere by accident (maybe in the item type) and resaved?

If you have access to it, open up the parameter editor, check the item in question and make sure its not set to consume yes.
Site Founder