Author Topic: Diadem of Maunstraut  (Read 65729 times)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2009, 05:36:25 pm »
I know what you mean, but basically I'm feeling very invincible in DoM atm. I think probably mostly because the continuous monster respawn (which after you get vamping equip is just a constant onslaught of instant recovery... if nothing else KF has always been about pacing your ever deeper journey, so having everything on infinite tap just seems weird -- but I can always neuter myself if it really gets to me at some point)

Offline Hguols

• Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2009, 10:50:47 am »
DoM does have a high respawn rate - I did that for enemy farming sake.  It wouldn't make much sense for there to be an enemy drop, and you run out of enemies.

I also did that (the collector in me) likes to reach uber levels in all level gaining games I play.

I'm thinking there is roughly a 30% regen rate - meaning if there is a group of 10 monsters, 3 of them will always come back.

I could have changed the appear rate, or the number of monsters to return - and while I do that for a handful of monsters, for the most part, they always keep coming back.

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2009, 01:35:48 pm »
I am trying to keep DD king's field-like on its respawn.  That is one of the things I am putting on my checklist for the folks who are going to beta test it because I want to know their opinion on too little or too much respawn.

Speaking of which, I am going to need beta testing soon, already have Tom lined up for it if he has time, but I would definitely like a pool of folks to tell me what they like or dislike before I try to actually release it.

Any volunteers let me know.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Hguols

• Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2009, 01:38:47 pm »
I'll be available Sunday night, possibly late Sunday afternoon.  I'm away from my SoM computer until then.  

I'll just download the newest DD folder from your server?  
^_^

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2009, 03:11:49 pm »
Is it normal for the Dark Guide to go away after a final use?

Btw, pointless to mention, but after I plowed thru the elemental seals (I didn't realize the boss fights were there :twisted:) I checked my exp, and noticed it hadn't gone up. Plus I checked my exp before hand, and I happened to have 37000 on the head, and was a lv37 Dragon Knight, so I reckoned that must mean I'd maxed out my exp 8O

I thought... uh oh, now this game is gonna start kicking my ass?! I noticed at least my str/mag was still rising, but eventually I leveled up again (fairly quickly in the final map) and realized the seal bosses must just not yield exp, and it was shear coincidence my exp going in was such a perfectly round number :twisted:

:idea: Or unless there was some sort of level cap before unlocking the seals

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2009, 09:06:04 pm »
I just picked up the golden key, and did some backtracking for missed treasure chests. While I was in the wind realm I decided to revisit the Forgotten Blade before going to the gold chest. I'd cheated and noticed on your online map the *SPOILER* switch that drains the water */SPOILER* ...and I was very disappointed to find that I could've easily grabbed the F. Blade a way back. I had presumed the only way to get it would to be to have a dragon crystal like item in your inventory. That would've been much more clever I think...

I also noticed while loading your data into SoM there is a dragon crystal like item in DoM I think. The blessed holy emblem or something. Turns out that was the item in the wind lairs gold chest at that (though I think it still requires blessing??)

Anyway, just complaining that it would've been smarter I think if the F. Blade was adjusted to be about as powerful as the Apostasy and required grabbing the F. Blade, then dying, then being reborn still with the blade on you (like the way to get the Moonlight in KF2)

^That might still work. But just saying, come on, if it's so bad ass, make it trickier to get :twisted:

PS: Was that dark Moonlight look in the SoM repertoire? Or did you make it by processing the texture file outside the editor?

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2009, 09:11:00 pm »
Btw!! I'm really enjoying DoM. I'd kinda like to play with SoM, but I don't feel like devising a whole game. I kinda need the experience anyway. Do you think you'd let me download the DoM project space before the runtime is built, so I could maybe cookup a remix version of DoM?

DoM and Tris are fun btw... they're a lot like Kenneth Anger gets to make a KF game or two :twisted:

PS: I'm also considering remixing the KF1 remake. But I think I'd do a better job of that, after cutting my teeth on something I would not want to change up so much.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2009, 10:18:10 pm »
The dark moonlight sword is in the files that comes with SoM.  It is likely in there to create the scene where the fairy restores the sword for you in original king's field.

If you don't already have it, download SoM and install it and just take a gander at the items and enemies etc you can mess around with.  If you just familiarize yourself with the item, object, npc and enemy editors you will have a great understanding of many of the choices that are made in some of the games you will play made on it.  Maybe you have already done that.

If you aren't interested in creating a whole new game at least create a simple map with some enemies, items, lighting etc just to see how things work.  

As far as the dragon crystal ressurecting you after death, there is a utility in SOM that allows you to customize the things that happen upon player death.  In DD, I will have the King's Fieldesque ressurection upon death if a dragon crystal is in hand.

The way it is accomplished (if anyone cares) is a rather simple (yet maybe difficult to think up?) counter/event setup on the player death system event.

All you need to do is have two events in every map, both set to always on and each modifying a counter value dependant on having the dragon crystal in your inventory.  If you have the item, the always on counter is set to a 1, if you dont have it, the always on counter is set to a 0.  Then in the first leaf of your death event you add an IF/END IF statement that searches for the counter to be set to a 1.  If it is set to 1, then you fire recover all, warp player basic, change player parameter (remove the dragon crystal that is consumed) and end the IF statement.  Tadda.
Site Founder

Offline Hguols

• Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2009, 07:32:36 pm »
Those seal bosses have an even 1000 Experience points.  Probably a toss up between a game error on my part or a counting error on your part.
^_^

Is it normal for the Dark Guide to go away after a final use?  Um, no.  Not entirely sure what you mean there.

Even if you didn't find Akryal's Sword until later, it still has its benefits - it's a fire sword and actually casts a pretty mean spell.  Fire Bad!!!!!

The dark moonlight sword is in the files that comes with SoM. It is likely in there to create the scene where the fairy restores the sword for you in original king's field.

I wouldn't have a problem if you created a remix of DoM.  Actually, I think it would be pretty cool - as I never got to experience the game from an unknown standpoint.  (I pretty much knew EVERYTHING about the game starting that first run)

Todd, do you have the DoM folder on your webspace?  Do you care if I zip it up and sent it to him?

HolyDiver, do you have John's translations in your SoM?  I'd hate for you to get the DoM project, and see barrels in place of switches.

I wasn't familiar with Kenneth Anger, but thanks to good old Wikipedia, I get the reference.  Actually, most of my references are from my music collection...   I think about 10% of my music is from the US.  Mostly European black metal....   heh, those wild and crazy guys!

Ironically, I didn't reference those things directly, I referenced my music which referenced those things directly.  ^_^

<shameless>Speaking of black metal, my new music is coming along pretty good.</shameless>

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2009, 08:14:37 pm »
SOM.com space is your space Tom, upload and distribute as you see fit.  If you can ever fill the retarded amount of space they give me in storage (15000 gig or something?) then maybe I will care :P
Site Founder