Author Topic: Diadem of Maunstraut  (Read 65802 times)

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 07:12:22 pm »
Well I can definately tell things operate better (other than 'animated' events which like you said probably sinc with the system timer somehow) on my quicker machine.

Most of the collision bugs you probably are seeing have to do with the map parts' mhm files.  Like John instructed me a while back, make the .mhm or 'collision' data models as simple as possible else weird things happen.  For instance, if I build a 5m high square for an mhm file it will work much better than if I had built say that 5m high block out of 5 rows of blocks.  Where polygons meet, SOM can easily allow you to walk through...this is no more apparent than the meeting of a wall polygon to the floor polygon.  So if a wall file had been created out of many polygons, the possibility of spells to fly through it is relatively high.

When I made custom map pieces I had to make my wall collision data just a bit larger than the graphical block I used for the walls, else if they merely butted up against one another (wall to floor) the character would fall through happily to the non existant floor of death below.

I can already tell you, some of the .mhm files that come with SOM are buggy this way, especially a few of the indoor sets that use walls that are more than simple single faced polygons.  If you use some of the more intricate parts that have cylindrical columns etc, I noticed a few had unique collision files and I could likely (and have a few times) walked through them.  In Trismegistus for instance, I accidentally fell off the bridge in the fire realm that has the invisible walls on all sides to keep you from falling off hehe.

On the flip side (and annoying side at that) creating map pieces also caused issues when I did oversize a collision file in that the character couldnt easily walk over two side by side pieces.  It is quite odd how picky it is, but there definately is a low tolerance for error on these files, and a high possibility with enough pushing at some walls that you will fall through them.

Heck, i just went through a wall in Demon's Souls last night that I shouldnt have been able to get through, so shit happens hehe.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Hguols

• Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 07:13:05 pm »
I never thought about collision detection and animation having to do with the frame rate - then again, I'm really not experienced with this sort of thing.

One thing though, according to the From Software Sword of Moonlight page (www.fromsoftware.jp/main/soft/som.html) SoM has extremely low system requirements.  We're talking you've got to have a Pentium II 300MHz processor, 64 Meg of RAM and 8 meg of Video Ram.  Generally speaking, most of the computers (well, I can talk for myself, Todd, Martin and John - guys who helped test Trismegistus) have PCs which are many times greater than all those requirements.  

I wouldn't really think "priority" in the Task Manager (if that's what you meant by priority) would matter much as recent computers should have SoM screaming.

I'm wondering if it's a compatibility issue more than anything.  After all, the From Software SoM page says that 2000 & XP is unsupported.  (based on the google translation of the page - vista wasn't released at that page's last update)

"Unsupported" doesn't mean "incompatible", but it might account for some of the engine's strange phenomena.  

There's also the hardware compatibilities in general.  If frame rate is really a factor for the collision and animation glitches, like you said, wouldn't an "unsupported" graphics card contribute to that?  

Perhaps even software factors as well - I like what you said about Direct X.  Might we have a whole lot less glitching if we were all running version 7.1 or 8.0?

Perhaps SoM doesn't really need to be completely revamped - maybe it just needs a few patches for hardware and software compatibility sake.  ^_^

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2009, 07:24:36 pm »
A lot of times software developed for older equipment behaves funny on modern equipment, and can surprisingly consume a lot more resources than you'd expect. Also the minimum requirements assume SoM is the only process at play. Realtime processes can be very fickle when sharing resources in any environment. I know for a fact I can adjust SoM's so that it will play at a snails pace on my graphics programming machine, which as you say has specs several times over what Fromsoftware lists as the minimum requirements.

PS: Also minimal requirements assume minimum resolution etcetera!!

Offline Hguols

• Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2009, 06:41:27 pm »
Interesting!

Do you think that changing the priority might really effect the animation, perhaps the collision detection?

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2009, 05:13:16 pm »
Upping the priority generally helps any application that does time dependent things, like music/video players, and games that keep a steady frame rate, etc. You'd just have to try and see (if you think you're experiencing problems with a given machine)

You can change the priority of a process directly with Windows' Taskmanager (google it if you need to) but there are other more automated ways, if you find that helps.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2009, 09:55:27 pm »
I guess I'm offtopic, but this is the DoM thread so....

I'm really enjoying this game. It doesn't quite feel like KF, but then again it's not KF I suppose... don't get me wrong, in many ways it's more interesting on it's on merits.

My game is about an hour and a half in (though I'm sure I've played much longer -- misadventures and all) ...just some odd questions though.

Early some kind of arch demon fiend or whatever with wings spawned near the fire/earth lair entrance. I promptly slew him in return for an Icon of Life, but I'm not sure exactly what he was doing there, or what his comment meant. Perhaps I missed something?? I think maybe he was the demon lord of the earth lair, but I'm not quite sure.

I gave the guy in the wind lair, the servant of Baal, 5 grand to press his button, but now he's demanding 5 more, and won't let me back into his shop. Is this a bug that he reset himself or what? Though I did find another button nearby (beside the wind boots) but I haven't checked to see if that corresponds to the passage of death or whatever (AND I'D HATE TO BE THE POOR SOUL WHOSE JOB IT WAS TO FIND OUT)

^I'm also wondering if the death passage has reset or not now (turned my game off before checking)

You know, I'm pretty sure I had a third concern, but it has slipped my mind for now (where it ever there in the first place)

Oh another question (not the "3rd" one) ...I think your map lists a healing ring or something in the room with the young girl in the cave, but there is nothing there. Also I'm a little curious if is any regenerating equip to counteract some of the Sonellian equipments' effect.

Another thing I remember about your map, is you mislabeled the Wind Lair Key in the room with the corridor thru the four seals.

Anyway, I hope this isn't your last SoM game... I'm not the kind of person to find time to play fan games. But DoM is really good, and it's been a while sense a KF game was released. I've played a bit of Tri as well. I'm less certain if I will finish it (I so loath puzzle games) but it's sucked me in. It will probably be after I finish DoM and KF1 (on my PS3 and the remake as well perhaps) for that matter before picking it backup though.

Speaking of the remake. Have you considered remixing it some. Making it more difficult like DoM, and changing things around some to make it more rewarding for those who have recently played the original. Actually From' should've added a remix version to SoM in the first place. I say never do a straight remake without a remix.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2009, 09:56:34 pm »
Btw, do you think you (and your musical friends) would be up to reproducing the score of the remake, so you could effectively remix the music as well somehow. That would be cool.

Offline Hguols

• Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2009, 11:49:42 pm »
I'm glad that you are enjoying the game.  It certainly has its flaws, but it's enjoyable to me as well.  I've made what I thought would be fun, and have gone through the game twice myself.  

I've considered a newer version of DoM - perhaps a "hard mode" patch or MOD.  (which would probably be similar to quite a few older game "hard mode's" - mostly consisting of raising enemy stats and lowering player stats and benefits.)

The demon in the Castle Imbrium hall is more of a cameo and an experience pump more than anything....  what they say doesn't contribute to the story.

Giving Eidolon 5,000 to deactivate the traps really will activate the traps.  Him repeating the offer is probably an error on my part.....   regardless, the traps are deactivated.  (You should try to get Lustrate and the Wind Tower Shield without deactivating the traps in the corridor of death.  ^_^  Talk about hard mode....)

The Bracelet of Healing is given by Meguh Meelah (the young girl) when you "send her to safety".

Thanks for the oops on the map....   unfortunately, I don't have access to that server to correct it at the moment.  (it's on different webspace than Trismegistus or swordofmoonlight.com)

I have no plans for the moment to create a new SoM game, nor any immediate plans to dress up the old ones.  I have no plans to correct errors either - I'm currently quite busy with work and trying to maintain a social life.  ^_^

My computer time is more confined to making new music....  music not intended for games....  and playing a few games - like Mega Man X8 and Arx Fatalis, which if I'm lucky, I can get an hour in a week.

....oh, and speaking of my musical friends, they all reside in my head.  I think that music has consumed almost as much time from me as putting together the game.  These projects, I didn't have help for the music - unfortunately.

I've got probably 3/4ths of the "source files" of the Maunstraut musics - but since my upgrade in software and hardware, I would have to make some adjustments before remixes could be put together.  

If you're interested in high quality MP3s of the Diadem of Maunstraut music, you can download the "Maunstraut Soundtrack" on the DoM downloads page.  

I recently let Todd use 4 tracks of newer music I've constructed for his new game.  I'll let him provide the links to those if you are interested in hearing them to see how my audio creations have improved considering that "maunstraut midi" stuff is sooooooo 2005.  ^_^

Litterally - that music is probably close to 5 years old.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2009, 06:17:04 am »
2005 still feels like yesterday for me. I didn't realize midi was still in use circa 2005 though :twisted:

edited: I really don't want a spoiler (though maybe a hint if necessary) but I can't imagine how to direct that child to safety :?:

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2009, 11:53:52 am »
3 of his tracks are in the DD soundtrack section, they are #s 11, 15 and 18.  I will get you a link for the fourth shortly.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder