Author Topic: Diadem of Maunstraut  (Read 65748 times)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #100 on: May 01, 2009, 01:39:23 am »
I don't actually listen to Dio (recreationally or whatever -- no Dio folder in my massive mp3 collection -- not that there shouldn't be) but yeah, on some level Dio seems KF appropriate... but mostly (if it isn't obvious) Holy Diver is the prime directive of KF is it not?? (I thought this would be obvious)

Ie. Holy = the holy alignment of the hero (light needle and so on...) and Diver = spelunking that subterranean dungeon (but yeah it also has that pop angle = Dio... there is even a video game called Holy Diver -- which is based on Dio)

I hope Dio is Metal enough for you Hguols??

PS: Just to be fair, whenever I see Hguols, I think of the little big man of Labyrinth :twisted:

^Because I guess I've no clue how to pronounce that :roll:

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #101 on: May 01, 2009, 02:23:10 am »
Armor and reskins...if you really want to that would be fantastic...

I can get you all sorts of models, I just suck ass at reskinning them :P
(SOM doesnt really shade models in game much, so you really have to texture them with some sort of shading, which i despise doing)

How about all the gear from KF2 for a start?  Have all those in .mqo format right now so we could easily get them in the game.

Let me know if you are interested and we can go through the how tos!
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #102 on: May 01, 2009, 07:03:34 pm »
Re-skinning really isn't that much trouble. I'd mostly just re-colour stuff and do a little of this and that (photoshopping mostly) ...I'm not a huge fan of SoM's esthetic in the first place. If I really wanted to change the artistic direction, I'd start by making the faces way more abstract, and I'd take the eyes off some of the monsters (because they look ridiculous -- hell I'd probably do that first)

^One thing I have noticed though, is the equipment art seems way better than the NPC art.

Oh btw, I did have a tiny thought about my map additions insta-killing the player. Before I'd finished everything the screen would flicker blue. I thought that might be cause I was playing it with virtually software graphics. But I noticed reading something of John's that screen flickers like that are an effect... then I remembered the water lair key area was on the starting map. So it's just a hunch, and I have no idea how, but I'm 99% sure the death is somehow because of however Tom has setup that water drowning event to work.

PS:

How about all the gear from KF2 for a start? Have all those in .mqo format right now so we could easily get them in the game.

What exactly do you mean? Were the files just sitting there on the game disc? If so I wonder if the PS1 era armored core discs also have model files out in the open like that?? Ripping them from the game is impossible to do perfectly. Do your models includes textures? I've ripped textures from PS1 games without much trouble before. Do you just want to make them look more SoM like? The gear in SoM is really a cut above the rest of the game. I'd almost prefer making the SoM gear look more like KF2 gear (like I said, it looks too good for the NPCs)

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #103 on: May 01, 2009, 10:41:50 pm »
The water drowning may be accomplished several ways, he may have had a trigger that had a count down timer on it, say 60 seconds?  Maybe you are crossing the start trigger (going in the water or at least the radius that starts the trigger) but not crossing back out of the water to stop the death timer?

Tom I am sure could answer that for sure.

The models are basically sitting on the PS1 games, and most likely you could rip the armored core models if you wish.  The software I used to pull the files was a trial version, and I just chose to rip everything i could off KF2 while the trial period lasted hehe.

They are currently in .lwo format (lightwave) and can be imported into metasequioa as a .mqo model, which of course can be exported as a .x file which can be (lol) converted to a .mdo file which SOM can use.  They are, unfortunately, without their textures, however the models do come with blank textures analogous to all the ones the model had.  So you will have a pure white model, with between 2-6 texture slots already mapped to the appropriate faces...you just need to create a bitmap to make the textures look like something other than white.
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #104 on: May 02, 2009, 12:35:31 am »
^That is good news... I spent a bit of time investigating capturing Armored Core data from PS1 and PS2 emulators :twisted:

Almost always Japanese companies compile crucial intellectual property data like that directly into the programs code rather than loading it from another file I think. Especially back in the day... these days maybe hard encryption is preferred. Japanese are notoriously more likely to make such data hard to find. Possibly because they're not likely to litigate if someone does find/use it (even for gain)

I think most of the weirdness went away after I used your patched filetree. Though I still recall getting a save game screen when using the action button near a gate... but I haven't seen that in a while. I'm pretty sure that was after the patch went thru... possibly I did something, like save something that made it go away.

Still I'm missing some odd stuff... possibly just Sonellian's Charm's graphic file. I think that is probably something Tom cooked up himself. It's not in the Ring selection at least, and I'm pretty sure it would have to be Ring class.

The internet has been no good for playing an MMO' I play with a weekly weekend event tonight, so I had some time in my schedule to fuck around.

My biggest conclusion after tonight, is the equipment selection is so piss poor. Also I was disappointed to find how nailed down the bad status effects seem to be. There doesn't even seem to be a way to adjust poison potency, global or otherwise from what I can see (poison's biggest threat seems to be annoying you to death with flashing lights / distracting you from when you're really being hit)

Is it even possible to recognize the players status with a global event and do things to them during that time? I did some event stuff with NPCs, but I don't see how to do global events really... even per map. I'm guessing maybe you must attach them to some object anyway??

PS: Also not being able to copy (or at least cut) paste stuff on the activity map is a pain in the ass.

Offline Hguols

• Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #105 on: May 02, 2009, 03:33:17 pm »
As far as drowning, I guess there are several ways you can do it.

In DoM, it's the old school "drowning" ala KFI & II US.  You hit water over your head, The End - you died.

I placed quite a few objects (event dummies do the trick) below the map pieces (since all objects have collision detection) and set up a radius (or rectangle) trigger (variable) with a Leaf 00 - Change Player Parameter HP Set To 0

Radius's actually create a floor to the ceiling "cone" (rectangles make floor to ceilling walls) so if you plan on having a bridge, you'll need gaps in your "walls" - thus MANY event dummies (especially with a winding moat.) and much testing....

For the new school drowning ala KF:TAC, you could set up a timer.  (I'll just assume, for now, you know how to create a timer.)

You could have the timer counter, when it gets to 1, decrease a certain amount of hitpoints and reset the timer counter (to 0).  Since timers count up in the counter 1 point per second, (no ands ifs or buts) you could have a certain number of hit points drain per second.

Set Timer in Counter Value
IF (counterA = 1)
  Change Player Parameter HP Decrease by 10
  Alter Counter Value (counterA = 0)
END

Naturally, event triggers to null your timer will need to be placed at your deep water entrance and deep water exit.

....also, with this method, considering Level stats might make a difference.  For instance, a "drowning game" that would be impossible at Level 3, might be ridiculously easy, no-challenge-whatsoever at Level 11.

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #106 on: May 02, 2009, 06:26:28 pm »
Oh btw, if you have some model files or whatever in a standard format... I'd like to have some of them just for the fun of it (you gotta debug against something) while I gradually workout all the pieces to the remake I've lauded around here like a dead horse since I showed up :twisted:

Once things really get hot and heavy I'll start breaking it in Tom's DoM filetree :wink:

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #107 on: May 02, 2009, 08:45:30 pm »
Ill get you a zip file of some starter KF2 item models probably tomorrow, im not at home right now.
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #108 on: May 03, 2009, 08:55:46 pm »
For most Japanese PS era games, the level models are most likely to be stored in separate files. If you can find level's for KF2 that would be even more awesome than the items I think. Making a SoM tileset from them would be even better :twisted:

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
Diadem of Maunstraut
« Reply #109 on: May 03, 2009, 09:41:47 pm »
Tom: I know I'm missing some files I need from your project space. Like the Sonellian Charm and some Grass object and probably others still don't show up. I'm pretty sure everything in Todd's patched install archive is there.

Also my project seems to have some probs. I don't know if it's because of missing files or not. But some events tend to hit the wrong targets. Like I have a grave object, a magic learning object, a save point, and a king npc nearby. The king saves, when the magic is learned, the grave disappears, and the save point does nothing and so on. It's basically like the numbers that show up in the map editor don't hit the right events once in the tester (off by about two)

Not all the events I setup are like this, but I can't place my finger on why the ones that are would be so.

edited: I know the most recent object I setup was a gate in front of the death fountain (I took out the monster plants... but I will unlock the termite queen... or more probably take her door away)

Anyway, that gate, when you go to open it, instead it disappears and says magic learned. Obviously that's nothing of my fault, because you don't even have to setup an event for doors (it's in the extra dialog) ...but basically all my events are airtight anyway. Just something weird is up.

PS: I just had a fun idea for an alternative death fountain boss...

edited: I'll give you a hint... it is called Death's Bliss :twisted: