Author Topic: Formerly: The Remix DoM Project!?! Now general KF discourse.  (Read 16964 times)

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
Formerly: The Remix DoM Project!?! Now general KF discourse.
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2009, 03:43:23 am »
FromSoft included a copy of most of the textures in bmp form specifically to help people customize SoM's parts. They even left a few unconverted x models in there too.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2009, 08:39:30 pm »
^This was my thinking after I sorted everything out. This will make creating complete armor sets (or at least making things more accessorizable) much easier (or technically possible)

Btw... are there any tools for making completely new data elements? Or are you just expected to copy things around (and hack them or whatever)

:idea: Maybe From' left some blank data elements somewhere to use as templates??

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2009, 08:49:11 pm »
PS: The results of my texture photoshopping is better than nothing. But I think I like that helmet so much, before I'm done with this remix, I'll make one custom model in it's honor... a model completely from scratch for Sonellion's armor to match that helmet. Also I gotta work out how the arm armor graphic that shows up when you swing your weapon works. I'm pretty sure it's referencing my texture, because it's now it's colour rather than the old forest-armor colour. But it really doesn't match the armor. I figure that's because a proper match was never provided by SoM (also I think the model's with the same name but with _1, _2, etc. appended have this info)

Offline ArbalestX

• Weapons maker
  • Bow Bearer
Re: Formerly: The Remix DoM Project!?! Now general KF discourse.
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2009, 04:40:21 pm »
I think most of the plot incongruity comes from 'semi-official' made up add on stories that appeared in the strategy guides. I don't think Agetec cared what they put in the guides and they contradict the KF games and even sometimes even contradict themselves.

If you ignore the guide stories, the games themselves make pretty good sense and have congruity. All three KF games say that the Moonlight Sword was made by Guyra and given to the Forester family in ancient times. It was passed down to Hauser and finally John got it off his father's grave in KFJ.  That's why Guyra repaired it and empowered it.

The 'Forest Dragon' is just what Guyra is called in an ancient legend where he reportedly saved Verdite. It is inferred that the member of the Forester family who was given the Moonlight Sword in ancient times might have been the actual hero who saved Verdite 'in Guyra's name'. By the beginning of KFJ, Guyra is not physically 'embodied', and in later KFs the Forest Dragon is called 'Guyra's projection who guards the place where he hopes to be reborn'. Myria and the other fairies are Guyra's creation and servants.

I don't think Guyra or Seath are inherently evil, they are just opposing forces.

Of interest, the word I translated as 'holy' is literally 'saint' in Japanese which is usually translated as holy in games. It's a different word than 'light' which Japanese seem to equate with power/force rather than holiness.

That's interesting, though it seems strange that his name didn't appear in KFJ (Though I can understand since that was the first game.)

I know that KF3's guide had a huge plot synopsis of the 3 games (near the end of the guide.)  Did the other guides have plot synopses (KFII Guide, KFIV Guide, etc.?)

I have a link that lists the guide books that From made.

http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~in_eARTh/k_f/contents/kf_goods/kouryakubon.html

I was able to get the KFIII Visual guide from Ebay.  I'm willing to take pictures of the plot synopsis and an interview of the developers if anyone is interested.

Interesting thing to point out:  There were some plot changes yes.  A notable one being Lyn/Meia's death.   US Good ending 'supposedly' brings her back, but the JP Good ending doesn't (As I am reading from a few fan sources.)

EDIT:  Cut a small bit of text since it was repetitive.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 04:55:08 pm by ArbalestX »

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2009, 04:51:34 pm »
I wouldn't mind turning the website into a KF/AC rummage bin like digitaldevildb.com as long as Todd was into it. All I can do is facilitate things as usual... peoples expectations for a website seem to go sky high as soon as you start documenting this stuff online. Any website bigger than one person is only as good as the community that feeds it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 04:53:19 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline MasterOtogi

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2010, 11:04:58 pm »
I just wish DOD had a farther draw up distance. :ninja:

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2010, 05:53:47 pm »
^Assuming you mean "DoM" there are a lot of problems once you raise the draw distance, so you just can't straight up raise it / rebuild the game. I have raised it a good deal in my remix effort (while also lowering the general darkness of things)

You have to play test every map / fix a lot of stuff (which often involves a lot of cleverness) in order to accommodate the further draw distance.

With everything I have on my plate (Som related) there's no telling when I will be able to get back into that project. It will be my first however.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 06:12:52 pm by Holy Diver »