Author Topic: I've got a problem...  (Read 8222 times)

Offline scott

• Capricorn Crusher
I've got a problem...
« on: March 20, 2010, 09:20:24 am »
I stoped trying to make a game so I'm going to do what I do best: playing the games. But now I'm having a problem with Trismegistus.

I was going to put a screenshot here but I can't figure out how.  :confused:
I'll describe my problem then: I'M WALKING IN A ROOM OF INVISABLE FLOORS AND WALLS! I can see objects such as a tree, water the shield on the floor, ect. What do I do now? (and mabey someone could tell me how to insert a screenshot?)
Yeah, I'm still around. I haven't much to say anymore however I do lurk around here. :ninja:

Offline Madison Lastrega

• Decked in Promeus
  • Do, or do not, there is no try...... ~yoda~
Re: I've got a problem...
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 11:38:37 am »
Thats an easy one, Scott, all you have to do is while your playing the game, press the  Print Screen Key or PRT SC.......... exit your game open MS paint or any graphics program.... Go to "edit" and "paste" and BAM instant screenshot.....This works for EVERYTHING...... and has been in windows since Windows 1.0 released in 85...... Very handy little Built-In tool...........hell it's why you have the Printscreen key in the first place, most youngins' don't know nothing about DOS and the 'old days.... in basic programming to make anything visable, the command PRINT was used, hence the PRINTSCREEN was added in 83 after IBM made billy Gates "new" software at the time "DOS" the standard OS, and Basic was the Mainstream for ALL programming in those days, and unix if you want to get technical...... So that key was a vital tool in reviewing section of basic code..... and when folks stopped using old school basic........they forgot what the key did....and like everything IBM is a creature of habbit, and the key has been a lost treasure for ages, but anyone who makes tutorials knows the PRTSC key is Sweeeeeeeeet.... sad thing is there are folks who pay BIG bucks for simple screen capture programs... folks whom probably don't know about something that has been around for close to 30 years....... Well thats my "Nerd" history report for the day............. now if you want to pay 19.95 and up for a batch program that , the end result is "it hits the prtsc key for you" and auto exports .....then by all means.... there are tons of devolopers, that LOVE young folks that thinks windows 98 is ancient software. just know OUR world was once ALL DOS or unix........ and NT was the base for xp, then vista, and so on....... so bill gates 's Windows was great.........But his  DOS (DISK OPERATING SYSTEM) changed the world...............
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 11:49:52 am by Madison Lastrega »

Offline scott

• Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 06:42:34 pm »
I already knew "how" to take a screenshot. I just need to know "how" to place it on the fourms. When I try i get this: (img) (/img)   [except its in brackets like this]

I dono what to do from there.

and btw: I look at the bottom of my first post:
(and mabey someone could tell me how to insert a screenshot?)
Did you notice that I said "insert a screenshot" and not "make a screenshot"

If I offened you I didn't mean to do so. I'm just pointing out the misunderstanding.
Yeah, I'm still around. I haven't much to say anymore however I do lurk around here. :ninja:

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 07:39:33 pm »
You can use [img] if the image is available online somewhere via a url. Or you can add an "attachment" to your post when posting. Hint: click "Additional Options...".

Offline scott

• Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 07:59:57 pm »
Ok then, I think I've got it now.

Offline scott

• Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 08:02:15 pm »
There, problem solved. (posting the screenshot anyway...)

Back to the main problem I'm having:
How do I fix this?

Offline Madison Lastrega

• Decked in Promeus
  • Do, or do not, there is no try...... ~yoda~
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 11:11:24 pm »
Sorry Scott, Sorry I misread your post I was just picking on Holy for skimming my post and there I go doing the same thing:)..... All I can say is.........Ooops, hope everybody enjoyed the nerd history anyway, I was bored this afternoon:)   As far as I can tell try using  tri-filterering, I made some awesome ground pieces that had riased 3-D grass..........Anyway I made a new test game, and all the grass was wild and crazy lookin' and then SOM_DB crashed, I went from single to tri-linerar filtering and fixed the issue, Wierd thing is that tree and the grass, did anyone else notice the black? usaully in SOM objects and items make black transparent..... so try that if that don't do it.......Ask DMP, or holy diver, they have the in and outs of som flaws, and most of the time some type of fix.................ML

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 01:01:33 am »
If your problem is not being stuck in the game somewhere, then if you have a Som game that plays well for you, open the .ini file and copy/paste the contents into the Tris.ini file and save (the file) ...If you can't tell which files are .ini, you need to un-hide file extensions in your folders (bet remote support personnel just love that)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 01:04:42 am by Holy Diver »

Offline scott

• Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 11:02:24 am »
Tris is the first game made by SoM I've downloaded so I can't use your idea Holy. (It was still a good idea though :biggrin: )
Ok, to be honest, I don't know what tri-filterering is of how to turn in on/off. (I'm not too good with technical issues on computers and such :crying: )

A step-by-step walkthrough for this would be very helpful. If anyone knows what the problem is...

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 12:11:05 pm »
Looks like you either dont have direct 3d acceleration turned on or you may need to adjust which in game video driver configuration youre using.

I know you used SOM for a little while when you tried making a game...by chance did you turn off 3d acceleration in directx while using the map editor and never turned it back on?

If youre running windows vista, go to the run option and type dxdiag.

When it opens check the display tab and be sure all the graphics options are enabled.

Also, double check the driver configuration for your graphics card and be sure it is maxed out on the 3d acceleration options as well.

Finally, if neither of those things work, go in game, go to the options menu and cycle through the different display driver settings to see if any of them fix your problem...but only do this after you have checked the other two options first.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder