Author Topic: Recommended Games!  (Read 35080 times)

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
Re: Recommended Games!
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2013, 04:20:15 pm »
My first experience of thief was thief 3, and man I love that game!

I did eventually play through 1 and 2, which were Im sure, very very good for their time.  I can't wait for Thief 4.....been so long, and cancelled so many times!

What the Taff!
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Smittiox

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2013, 05:44:32 am »
Grabbed diablo 3 for ps3 a month or so ago and been playing on n off here n there. I thought the colours were wonderful, very vivid and the background art was great. the gameplay was just like the others. get stuff, kill things, get better stuff, kill more things etc lol ... plenty of rare and unique items and new classes to choose from. It's still a lot of fun :)

Offline duredure

• Silvarion Slasher
  • Die Pigs
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2013, 07:07:15 am »
I have 32 years
I played hundreds of games in various consoles and in pc. Im very critic about games. I must said that some olds are better than news.
Final fantasy 7(1997) for example until today there's no other rpg with tons of mini games(gold salcer),animal farm(chocobo), summons, coliseum, huge map, huge list of monsters, huge list of magics, one of the best stories in rpg history and the best villain in history of rpgs(sephiroth).
I don't have ps3 or xbox 360 yet so in future maybe i can update here.

My list of games worth playing:

Tecmo deception series for psx, ps2 and ps3/psvita
Final fantasy 7, 9, 10 (psx and ps2)
might and magic 7,8,9,10, dark messiah (pc)
diablo 1 and 2 (pc)
wizardry 7 crusader of the dark savant(pc)
wizardry 8(pc)
phantasy star 1(master system)
Miracle warrior(master system)
Gladiator begins(psp)
dungeon maker 1 and 2(psp)
Way of the samurai 1 and 2(ps2 and psp)
mount and blade series(pc)
x-man(atari) not the marvel x-men
Xenoblade(wii)
Radiata stories(ps2)
way of the sword(ps2)
ephemeral fantasia(ps2)
Suikoden 2(psx) and 3(psp)
call of duty modern warfare series(wii)
stunts(pc dos game)
pokemon series

« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 08:08:30 am by duredure »

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2013, 04:19:59 pm »
It's interesting that you leave Final Fantasy 8 off the list. I was quite disappointed when it came out but everyone else at the time seemed to think it great. It wasn't until years later that I started to hear people say it wasn't as good as other FF titles. The characters weren't as interesting as other FF games and the gameplay was too simple.

There are several other games on your list that I thought were good: Wizardry 8 was amazing, Mount and Blade is one of my favorites too. A member here (Verdite) likes it too and is a character in the Mount and Blade Brytenwalda mod.  Gladiator Begins, Radiata Stories both good.  :beerchug:

Offline TheStolenBattenberg

• Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2013, 05:01:20 pm »
Huh, I didn't see this thread before... I only have 14 years of gaming experience (Hell, I've only been alive for 17 years...) but I've played some gems in that time.

I'll list them by console since there's a ton...

Playstation:
Darkstone - A Diablo type game, it's really fun if you can get past the odd bug.
Battle Hunter - A simple strategy game, released as part of a budget series... Surprisingly good for a cheep game. AMAZING soundtrack. Also released as 'The Hunter AR-0062' in Europe.
Medievil - A fun and comical hack and slash adventure game.
Medievil 2 - A good sequel to the original.
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain - It's been a VERY long time since I've played this one through, but it's good from what I can remember.
Crash Bandicoot 2 - If you haven't heard of this, I need to question where you've been...
Hexen - 'Cute' little hack and slash, with a fun soundtrack.
Final Fantasy 5 - I never really hear people mention this one, but I thought it was great.
Vagrant Story - This takes a firm place on my favorite games, and I totally recommend it if you've not played it. Stop everything you're doing, and play this game... The lore is rich, the world is captivating and the system is legendary... The OST is just beautiful..

Playstation 2:
Champions of Norrath - Kinda like the Dark Alliance games, really good fun IF you play with someone else.
Champions: Return to Arms - It's sequel to the previous game.
Gauntlet: Dark Legacy - A really good game to play with multiple people, still fun if you play by yourself!
Final Fantasy 12 - A good addition to the FF series.
Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land - First person dungeon crawler, I don't have much to say about it.

Xbox 360:
Fable II - A VERY good game. I personally love the sound track for this one... TOTALLY recommended.
Final Fantasy 13 - If you can get past comparing it too the previous games, and you can put through with the painfully long linear sections... You're in for a good experience game.

PC:
Legend of Grimrock - This is a great reboot the old dungeon crawling style of game.
Amnesia: The Dark Decent - A decent horror game, with a very nice story.
Penumbra (Series) - Really fun horror games, by the makes of the above game.
Temple of Elemental Evil - This is a really fun game, it's very truthful to 3.5 D&D rules.
Neverwinter Nights - Great game, single player and multiplayer.
Project Zomboid - If you're into survival games, or zombie games... This is a MUST... It's an amazing game.

NES:
Sweet Home - This is the only game I've played for NES, it's an amazing game, it uses everything the NES had so well... It was only released in japan, but you can find a translated ROM on the internet.
Ashes to ashes, Dust to dust...
Honor to glory; And iron to rust.
Hate to bloodshed, From rise to fall.
If I never have to die; Am I alive at all?

Offline duredure

• Silvarion Slasher
  • Die Pigs
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2013, 12:19:50 pm »
FF8 was too linear. FF9 they tried to do a ff7 clone but fail badly. The history wasn't good enough and they forgot to add a gold salcer in ff 9. There's a final fantasy in psp(final fantasy type 0) that some fans are translating (skycloud team) and is already 50%! they said that in 3-4 months is ready to play in psp. I heard from a lot people that this FF is almost good as FF7 so I don't want die before play this next year.

Currently there's three mega hyper master blaster japaneses games  in translation progress for psp.

Final fantasy type 0(psp), samurai dou 2(psp but there's a english version in ps2 named way of the samurai 2) and for psx/psp/xperia play the brigandine Ge!

Jesus...I forgot to put in my list elders scroll series, ephemeral fantasia and suikoden 2 and 3.
ephemeral fantasia is a hidden gem from ps2 like radiata stories is very dynamic. Read the faq or see some youtube videos about it.
suikoden 2 is the second best rpg from psx after only ff7. Luca blight the vilain from suikoden 2 is as bad as sephiroth.
Suikoden 3 in my opinion is the best suikoden and the best rpg from ps2. Who played it knows. they create a very nice history and gameplay like in ff7 and sometimes you think " wow this game could have a movie". Also suikoden 3 is the only suikoden to have random  hard bosses.Also in the end of suikoden 3 when you finished to recruit all 108 stars and build your castle to max there's tons of stuff and mini games/sidequests to do like gold saucer in ff7.

Wizardry 7 is better than wizardry 8 In my rpg :beerchug: opinion.
I played wizardry 7 for more than 10 years when I had 15 years and never finished in that time because I hadn's no idea what to do later in game. So some years ago with internet and google I managed to found a solution and finaly finished the game 4 years ago.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 12:41:09 pm by duredure »

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2013, 08:10:55 pm »
Darkstone! I had a lot of fun with that one too- especially for a $10 budget release.  The thief character was the most fun. I remember laughing when I stole a spear weapon from a snake enemy.  Gotta wonder where he was keeping it! :rofl:

Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land was an excellent title too. It had a Japan-only sequel which I would love to translate, but I won't have time in the foreseeable future.

I loved Suikoden 3 also. I think the way it told the story from different views was quite interesting and it kept things feeling fresh. Final Fantasy 9 did that too I think.

A title that is usually overlooked is Giants: Citizen Kabuto for PS2 and PC. The title sounds weird, but it's actually quite funny and has good gameplay. I wrote a review for it once HERE.

I'll keep an eye on tha FF 0 translation. Looks interesting! Thanks  :beerchug:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 08:24:20 pm by HwitVlf »

Offline duredure

• Silvarion Slasher
  • Die Pigs
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2013, 08:07:02 am »
I just remembered another rpg/strategy gem that wasn't famous here in ocident
tecmos kagero's deception series.
deception 1, 2 and 3 for psx
trapt (new deception)  for ps2
also there's a new deception 4 for ps3 and psvita

I tell to you guys is all in english all this games. Worth play and replay because is always diferent. You enter in a castle dungeon with lots floors and rooms and you create massive traps to atack other people that enter there. please check in youtube. there's a lot death and gore and lots's diferents trap.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2013, 04:38:34 pm »
I played Kagero Deception 2 for the PS and liked the gameplay mechanics, but I found the storyline kind of disturbing. I just couldn't get into mercilessly and slowly killing off a bunch of innocent victims. Does Kagero 1 or 3 have a less sadistic plot?

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2013, 05:49:44 pm »
A fair number of the games mentioned here are available cheap on GOG.com so I thought I'd post links in case anyone wanted to pick one up. For anyone who doesn't know, GOG.com (Good Old Games) sells DRM-free games at a low price and has a lot of classic titles that have been tweaked to run on modern systems and they usually come with bonus stuff like sound track or concept art.  Not to sound like a commercial, but in my opinion, GOG is one of the best things that has happened to computer gaming ever. They actually seem to care about giving customers an honest and good product for an unbeatable price. They're giving away Fallout 1,2 and Tactics for FREE right now.

Wizardry 6+7  8
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Thief 1  2  3
Return to Krondor
Might and Magic 6  7  8  9
Arx Fatalis
The Longest Journey
Ultima Underworld
System Shock 2
Legend of Grimlock
Amnesia: The Dark Decent
Penumbra