Author Topic: Recommended Games!  (Read 35108 times)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Re: Recommended Games!
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 05:42:28 pm »
Is this (http://www.arxfatalis-online.com/index_eng.php) the game? Or a newer online version of the game?

Damn, apparently it only casts 5$ on Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/1700/) ...I might have to look into this Steam thing.

I think I will give it a shot, if I'm lucky it might play in 3D with this new VR headset that's come into my life :cool:

Offline Hguols

• VIP
  • Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 12:25:41 pm »
I got my game copy from gog.com

It's just a dollar more, and integrated with the newest patch, which wasn't even included in any store bought versions.

....not to mention, tweaked for today's systems.

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 08:12:07 pm »
If all you guys are recommending it, I think I will give it a shot too some time.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 05:15:07 am »
Well Steam was about as slow as a steamboat downloading... so that just about killed my impulse. I will get around to trying it... the screenshots anyway look more like a KF game than anything I can recall, and there's nothing there so ridiculous looking I can just dismiss it out of hand, so for 5$ yeah I'll definitely pencil it in. I couldn't find anything else remotely interesting on Steam with an attractive price point. Fortunately you don't have to pay for the service, just the downloads.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2010, 02:36:32 am »
I don't remember my Krondor looking like the one in the screenshot (previous page) ...or is that not Betrayal at Krondor??

I'm currently preoccupied with Wizardry: Torawareshi Tamashii no Meikyuu (The Labyrinth of Lost Souls) and RayStorm HD. Both are Japanese PSN titles. I think RayStorm HD has been available on the 360 (in the US) for a while... but it's not on the US PSN yet, go figure. The Wizardry DLC interface to the PlayStation Store is translated into English even though no items are available to buy (from the [North] American Store) yet.

I was playing Jaseiken Necromancer but I'm stuck and possibly the only English speaking person in the world playing it :confused:

I purchased Grandia tonight. I'm not sure what to expect but it looked unique enough to try out.

Offtopic: reading reviews for a few games tonight, I'm always floored by how many gamers think European/American companies make Japanese video games. Probably more reviews of Japanese video games on Gamefaqs than not attribute full credit to the Western company that licensed it / possibly made some miniscule changes.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 02:39:55 am by Holy Diver »

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2010, 04:46:04 pm »
Ah this is the sequel to Betrayal at krondor. Rtk was certainly improved graphics wise  :smug:

But i still loved Bak and Gorath (one of the main characters.)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2010, 03:50:55 pm »
I thought Betrayal looked light years better than any of the other games.... especially Return :tongue:

I think I probably totally discount the games that are not Betrayal.

BTW, finally finished downloading Grandia (was multi-disc) ...I'm not sure how it's possible I never played/knew what this game was about. I haven't gotten into it yet (a difficult genre for me to just pick up) but the intro and opening antics indicate (in my judgment) this may be the best done game in this genre of all time. Other than the script just being way above par for a video game the best draw for me is it's like what if the technology used to create the game was available in the 80s, because the game totally feels like an 80s classic.... which is amazing because it was published in 1997.

I'm playing the original (Japanese) ...if you've ever enjoyed a traditional Japanese RPG you owe it to yourself to check this game out. I'm kind of glad I didn't play the hell out of it when I was younger because I'll probably enjoy it more now. My only worries is the maps are huge and NPCs are everywhere while it's hard to get a sense for your surroundings because the camera is quite low and spins about. Select button lets you see a birds eye view of the entire map though. Somehow I lucked out and stumbled upon the first save point just in time (without being forced to wade thru excessive setup dialog)

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 08:26:09 pm »
Did u play betrayal at all? Remember anything about it?

I also! Recommend these games!  :rainbow:

Conan (Dos) its available for dl somewhere... Side scrolling for the most part and very fun. Very atmospheric. Interesting how the older games feel so much friendlier and original... You play as conan... And slay things, find items and unlock doors. I reccomend this game to anyone mainly because its original and fun, and it holds true to the original conan style in my opinion.

Another game i recommend is Ryu ga gotoku: Kenzan! anyone familiar with the yakuza games will recognise it instantly, its a japanese import... There are loads of screenies out there. Its a Japanese medieval style game with a very brutal (in my opinion, again) combat system. I wont go into the details, but the game is very good indeed with many funny stories, and rewarding quests. The story is pretty good too. Though anyone who doesnt like hefty gore and brutal attacks should dodge it. Also anyone who cant read nihongo (japanese) should maybe contemplate gamefaqs if you really want to try it. The best part for me is the turtle racing, where you bet on turtles. Sounds absurd, but its very, very addictive. And of course the lush environments.

Finally, for any of you who havent played this game, i really really recommend it. Its called Mount and Blade, its a war centric game with side quests and a good character development engine, possibly the longevity behind it is the mods, you can download and play all kinds of great new games that are very entertaining. You have a party which you develop, troop paths, heroes and morale are all part of it... And you fight, of course...

I dont want to spoil it for anyone because i picked up this game and loved it.

If anyone plays it or looks into it let me know, i can help.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 08:33:39 pm »
I played Betrayal a couple times at least beginning to end. It was actually my first real PC game as a kid afaik.

I've been really enjoying Grandia lately. The artwork anyway is worth putting up with the usual CRPG monotony. The NPC count is really high. It feels like the place is really alive but it's probably the first such RPG like this where I've not made a practice to exhaustively seek out every bit of NPC dialog. The NPCs almost never say anything important anyway, so it's not like talking to NPCs is required by any stretch (except when it's obvious)

Because of all the NPCs and because it's available in the US PSN store I purchased the translated game and am playing that one. The voice acting is not weird but it feels like random people were just pulled off the street and given one shot at each line. I don't know if that is more distracting than a crap voice actor trying to act or not. The atmosphere is really un-japanese, the character names are English even in the Japanese game more or less and it doesn't totally feel like a Japanese game that much. It could've been an 80s saturday morning cartoon in the states (even though all of those were also made in Japan!! Even GI.Joe for example afaik)

I will play the Japanese game if I play it again sometime. Funny thing is, after I did the research/decided if I want to buy/play this game or not, like a week later even though the game had been in the US stores for a long time, a promotional trailer was released as a movie download. So I would've ended up playing Grandia either way it seems?! I love PSN because I like spending 6~10$ on a game that'll probably be at least 80hrs of enjoyment. I wonder if the game industry has lost its mind though, outright giving people 80hrs of a good game for 10$ (in Grandia's case) when really they want you to be spending 60$ apiece for three 20hr games instead :rolleyes:

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
Holy diver on warband
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 08:53:09 am »
Just looked at the mount and blade: warband achievements on steam.

Holy Diver
Kill or wound at least 500 enemies.
0 / 500

:biggrin: