Author Topic: Darker than KF?  (Read 4441 times)

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
Darker than KF?
« on: March 04, 2010, 09:11:35 am »
I do like this game but there are times when i think... This is pretty damn weird. I mean, KF was weird make no mistake, but it was "old school" fantasy style weird. I dont really enjoy the strangeness in DS, because there are points when it can heavily distract you from the gameplay.

Some people like this... But dont you feel that it should have stayed with the original style of KF? Something was missing, i felt.

This is just my opinion and i hope others can gauge their opinion based upon their own experiences.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
Re: Darker than KF?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 10:01:10 am »
DS is a much better game when not compared to KF I think.

If DS had been more along the lines of KF, I would probably still own it  :biggrin:

The game is good but it has some feelings of hollowness to me.  I'm not a big fan of the segmented maps that don't intertwine with each other, it gives the game a much less engaging feeling to me.  In all the KF's you had a much better natural environment boundary where as DS is filled with invisible walls, unnatural boundaries and warp points.

The game is extremely cold, and unlike KF where you feel as though you might have a chance to wipe ou the evil once and for all, at the end of DS I was left feeling as though what I had accomplished during the game was not going to change the course of downward spiral into oblivion that the game world was plunging into.

A great game...but not KF.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 12:29:15 pm »
My personal "spiritual successor" to KF is Mirror's Edge (check it out) ... I haven't played DS yet. I think I could look past comparing it to KF easy enough, but the general idea to me sounds bad, though the atmosphere certainly can't hurt. I'm hoping it will at least amount to an interesting experiment. I think the old KF formula for all the nostalgia it holds is probably a bit dated. And at the same time none of the stuff tried with Abyss really did it for me.

I think KF could take a lot away from Mirror's Edge... personally I find it utter sacrilege that From Software' guy that compared a 3rd person game to KF.

I have a lot of trust in From' to churn out a decent game for a core franchise/line, and I don't mind experimentation. From' is the only company I know still making games that feel old fashioned (as opposed to interactive cinema) ...I know of one or two others but don't get nearly as excited for those companies' games (if by excited you mean something like atoms almost undetectably shuffling about somwhere in the furthest regions of my constitution)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 12:41:01 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 07:34:45 am »
Please let me know if you see this game dirt cheap anywhere. Like around 20$ in English or up to 35$ in Japanese.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 08:50:32 pm »
I bvought the original chinese release and enjoyed it alot, sold it and then regretted it.

Rebought it when I bought the game for a friend, so we could assist each other through the game since its relatively hard...played with him about halfway through and then he started liking it alot and couldnt stop playing so he beat the 2nd half without me.  I may be selling my second copy when i beat it within the next couple weeks since I could really use the money (don't want to part with it but thats how things go).  Holy if you are still interested at that point, the game is like mint condition and ill sell it to you for $30 including the shipping.  The game still retails for 54.99 i believe, and this will be a like new copy.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 11:44:49 pm »
Did you mean the original Japanese? I will definitely pay 30$ for Japanese. Will consider it if it has the better (original) cover art. If you're selling a US copy, afraid I probably should hold onto my dough.

EDIT: Do you need a real-time time internet connection to do some of the online elements? I recall some odd features like players can scrawl notes onto walls which other players can see. That does not sound like something you'd need a break neck internet connection to enjoy.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 11:47:09 pm by Holy Diver »