Author Topic: Winners?  (Read 3779 times)

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
Winners?
« on: March 03, 2010, 07:45:42 pm »
I know Holydiver and Weissvulf have beaten it...has anyone else finished the game?

Is anyone still playing heh.

Does anyone need help?
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline rythriynn

• Dagger Carrier
Re: Winners?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 04:48:24 am »
To start I'd like to say awesome job to both you and Tom.
You've both done amazing work with SoM.
Anyway, I'm level 22 right now and not quite sure where to go at this point
but DON'T want any help. I thought I needed some earlier today... then did
some thinking and (un)covered quite some distance.
Anyway, I appreciated Tom's maps for DoM. However, as much as I've wanted
help at certain points, I've been glad the last few days that clicking on the
link for the walkthrough for Dark Destiny saying "Coming soon"!
As far as I'm concerned don't bother finishing the walkthrough.
I appreciate the work you've both done in extending the life of this
great, great game.
The reason I even know about DD and DoM is that I was so very disappointed
in Morrowind (sorry if you "guys" liked it).
After playing through (American) KF1 & 2 again I was so ready for more.
I was amazed to find DoM at the time and the promise of DD.
What a treat!
Tom was gracious enough to communicate with me personally via email at
the time and I apologize that I stopped doing so.
I realized at the time that it would be better to join the forums and let everyone
see what we were talking about.
(I didn't at the time because I'd discovered a glitch at the time that let me
have infinite money).
Then my computer ate itself... (long story)
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
You "guys" are the real winners.
Thank you.
I'll let you know when I figure it all out.

Gotta go play now and find my old DoM save (or just start a new game...
it's been long enough).

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 07:36:31 am »
Glad you are enjoying the games.

I will take your opinion on the walkthrough into consideration:)

I have the maps done, and have sent them to darchangel who runs kings-field.com so they may appear there eventually.

I am curious what parts of the game folks have problems moving forward to figure out if I need to make it less vague on what to do next.  I attempted to make it as non-linear as I could and leave the freedom to pick their direction to the player, but in doing so I may have made things too unclear.

Feedback is good, keep it coming.
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 07:04:39 pm »
I know I've outlined points to Todd that really got me stuck in a way that did not seem fair to players. I think he fixed a number of them if only via dialog to help remind you of different places which are tucked away in easy to forget places.

Two I'm not sure Todd has addressed is 1) The Garisson/fort area is really confusing. I assumed the gate across the bridge was sealed, and came back later to find that it would open with a button press, but Todd told me later I think opening will not work until after you beat the boss there. I think this is all confusing, and A) there should be levers on either side of that door, and B) probably that whole section should be rethought (I have a good idea of what I'd do / maybe Todd will let me do it sometime) ...and 2) The Jellyfish standing in the way of the lighthouse appear to pose too big a threat, because you have no range attack to deal with them, and they're able to kill the player in one hit (in the version I played) ...I've recommended either removing them completely (maybe springing them after the fire crystal is taken) or he provide the back way to the lighthouse from KF2 (personally I think the only challenge to stealing the fire crystal should be taboo articulated by the NPCs... then Necron would be known as the "light stealer" or something which is a pretty cool title)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 07:06:37 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 07:40:55 pm »
The lighthouse has been modified to include the alternate "less dangerous" path.

I probably will muster the effort to modify some things in the game later this year....daily I feel a bit better about actually looking at SOM again.

Madison has been inspiring me with his really cool customs to pick the game up and try to modify a bit on it eventually.  I will attempt to pick it back up this summer sometime and maybe have 1.0.7 (or the final game) done by the end of summer.

I may have to pick your brain when I do decide to go tweaking it to find out if you would be willing to make SOMex do a few cool things and then go from there.

ML, maybe if youd be willing to donate a really sweet looking fairy tree, I might redo that whole forest area the way it should have been done to begin with.
Site Founder

Offline rythriynn

• Dagger Carrier
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 12:47:39 am »
Alright, I think I do need some help. I've been to North/South/Central villages, done the Ruins past the Garrison, gotten past the Commander in the Garrison and been all through the area past him and gotten the Fairy Queen to extend the bridge. I've even messed around with the one Aquarian Boot path that I could find but couldn't get past walking on the water...
I haven't been able to unseal the North Village door or the door in the area past the Garrsion commander nor been able to figure out what to do in the well or get into Thedeck's keep.
It seems to me that my only path forward is to get a key I don't have. I'm speaking of the key that fits into pedestal that looks like a Star Key pedestal but isn't. I've found two of them: one in the Big Mine, and one that looks like it activates a bridge in the Ruins.
Oh yeah, and I've got the copper,gold,jail,pirates,harvines keys and two shrine keys.

So any hints?
Thanks in advance!

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 08:07:29 am »
There is a lame thing about the door near the Big Mine entrance. You just attack it and the board will disappear. Personally I've told Todd (author) this is really counter intuitive for gamers (we're trained the smallest obstacles cannot be overcome by conventional means)

There is only one Aquarion boots path. So if you found it you just didn't look for all the forks. You will find the key to Thedeck's Stronghold in Atainus' Water Works (what I call these maps) which you will find along the Aquarion path (if you're computer is not overwhelmed by all the solid water pieces in the area.... Todd should replace the ones in the distance with caps only (which would probably be easier to do by replacing that object then putting the solid pieces in where necessary))
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 08:09:48 am by Holy Diver »

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 08:21:17 am »
Holy is correct, your next step would be to grab the key from Atainius's area to enter Thedeck's.

I do apologize for the slow down in the area where the aquarion boots are needed.  That is something I should probably try to fix...though the major slow down actually comes from the vines and the dome entrance more so than the solid water, though it might help a bit.

I am curious also if you went into the pirates cave because I hadnt seen any mention of that area.

If you have the shrine keys you could skip the water/fire area and proceed to the dragon shrine, though I dont recommend it...the monsters there are extremely powerful fire magic casters and the gear from thedeck's area is pretty much required to make it through that place.

If you need maps let me know.
Site Founder