Author Topic: Any volunteers?  (Read 2050 times)

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
Any volunteers?
« on: February 17, 2010, 04:40:27 pm »
I would like to get a sword of moonlight page on wikipedia.org to highlight the tool and reference information about it in the style that would be acceptable to the wiki rules.

I know some folks that visit here and the agetec forums have constructed alot on the KF pages, so it would be nice to see some action there and get an official SOM page. 

once that is done, I think it would be easier to create sub topics to it about some of the fan made games that are being created/finished.  if we dont have the baseline SOM page, i think the editors of the wiki site will probably delete any pages about SOM made games.  In fact they already did this to DoM (which is gay).

Anybody feel like starting an SOM page?  I would but i think my affiliation with this site would cause them to immediately delete it due to calling it an advertisement.

if anyone does make the page, please do not put a link to this site within the contents of what youre writing.

Let me know if anyone wants to give a go.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Hguols

• VIP
  • Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
Re: Any volunteers?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 04:51:33 pm »
John?  TheSpaceBetween?   

John?   Are you guys here?   TheSpaceBetween?   JJJJJJJJJJJOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNN?????

TTTTTHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEE
SSSSSSSPPPPPPPPPPPPAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
BBBBBBBBEEEETTTTTTTTTTWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNN   ?!?!?!!!!!????
?!?!!!???!!!?

John?

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 05:10:42 pm »
*shoots Tom with a tranquilizer gun*

*watches him flop semi-epileptically back and forth on the ground*

*peers around to see if anyone saw him and disappears back into the bushes*

- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 09:11:40 pm »
Your (Todd) taking a first stab at it is as legitimate as anyone. You're not an agent of From' etc. If you created a DD page out of whole cloth it would qualify as suspect/advertisement.

I won't write a page (never much been my thing) but I will try to keep whatever is there within basic Wikipedia guidelines as long as that doesn't involve tracking down/citing "sources" etc.

It's easy to make an argument that Som is relevant, and no more than a passing mention would make sense in the context of a KF page... however since it was really late coming to the English speaking world it's best to phrase a Som page in terms of a revival of interest or whatever and subsequent developments I think rather than pegging it immediately from the straight forward software angle.

You should mention important milestone projects in passing, but relegate most games to a "List of Sword of Moonlight games" page and their own pages where applicable.

If you keep pages impersonal and encyclopedic there should be no grounds for dismissing them. If a page is important to you, "watch" it, and if a motion to remove or whatever is raised, if you get in on the talk page and show you're trying to meet the guideline demands people will probably help you and ease off their delete triggers.

Offline Hguols

• VIP
  • Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 02:28:36 pm »
^ Does anyone else smell Astroglide? 

Man, I think someone tranq'ed me!  I was in the pasture, eating grass....   doing some lively bellows....  I felt this pinch...   fell asleep. 
Crazy, huh?   :bees:

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 12:39:26 pm »
Blah, I get tired of making new topics here. It's definitely not the same as a wikipedia article (status report??) but I've decided very soon, probably within the next week I'll be setting up a Sword of Moonlight / anything remotely KF related wiki at http://www.swordofmoonlight.org/wiki/.

I'm a huge fan of the wiki format nonetheless for most problem domains a wiki should be a supplement / little else. Anyway I could not think how to integrate a wiki into swordofmoonlight.com/net. I suppose the word "wiki" itself is not so terribly compatible aesthetically (how about a tiki wiki)

I've set this up before with a partner site (eg. http://www.digitaldevildb.com/wiki/Kerberos) ...Basically this is "scraper" though it actually performs a service in that it reformats the content and presents it in a readonly format without all the trappings/meta content of a wiki. I intend to do the same with the SOM wiki I'll be installing. Only with one twist... WordPress has a dynamically generated 404 page it goes to whenever it can't match a url to its database. So what I'm planning is to make the 404 page the scraper page, so any url that doesn't have a WordPress page will be treated as a wiki page title. So swordofmoonlight.net/Sword of Moonlight will go to the readonly/prettified version of the Sword of Moonlight page on the wiki (for example)

Anyone can edit the wiki (Captcha for not logged-in edits) at swordofmoonlight.org/wiki/. The version of the pages on the .com/net website will have a disclaimer so no big deal.

If the wiki takes on a life of its own that's no big deal/probably great. But the real reason I want it there at this point, is I really want the "new" website to have a Sword of Moonlight for dummies organization but without being too top heavy in the page dept. So what I'm thinking is for example say in a tutorial, you could have several steps, but ideally you only want a few, or peoples eyes will glaze over. So instead of adding a step to explain to people how to tell the extension of a Windows file (which is pretty damn involved if they don't know extensions exist because they're hidden by default) you could just slip a link like "/Windows File Extensions" (which might redirect to /Windows#File Extensions) in the Wordpress post that would open in a new tab which would ideally include a screenshot tutorial of how to enable file extensions.

That hypothetical wiki page/section could've been made by the page/post author or earlier perhaps by someone posting in a forum, or even transcribed from a post in a forum by a thoughtful archivist.

FYI: Prettified passes the Firefox inline spell checker. Prettification does not (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Prettified) :goodnight:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 12:47:26 pm by Holy Diver »