Author Topic: A couple issues- Draw Distance is glitchy and control issues  (Read 3194 times)

Offline WOJOxDJC

• Long Sword Swinger
A couple issues- Draw Distance is glitchy and control issues
« on: February 13, 2010, 08:31:23 pm »
Ok first off the draw distance is too short on my default set up, though the game runs great. The draw distance is bothersome because I can see the outside in the distance when looking down a hallway even though Im in a fortress.

Secondly, is there an easier way to configure the input commands, as I dont have a controller atm, and Id like to reconfigure all the controls. Ive seen the config file but it seems I cant change anything except the keypad inputs (movement).

Lastly, is it normal for the walls to not be quite lined up? Its bothersome because it looks like theres secret passages everywhere lol. I figure I dont have the video setting configured for optimal viewing. Whats the best way to run this game on a Vista Machine with a nvidia geforce go 7300? Whats the optimal viewing resolution?

Well as stated in an earlier thread, I made my way to my folks house tonight for dinner and got around to trying the game on the laptop here. Totally psyched to try this with a gamepad, soon I hope. Nice work to the author of this mod- DMPdesign I believe?

Oh and Id like to kick your butt for sticking us with that really short dagger for the beginning of the game lol. Im guessing this is gonna be a hardcore game. Thanks again!

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Re: A couple issues- Draw Distance is glitchy and control issues
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 09:20:04 am »
First off, it's not a mod. Second, the maps are built by tiling 3D map pieces, so I'm guessing that is what you mean by "not lined up". Third, the sky being visible is normal, and your really don't have control over such things from the player pov. If you have a problem with any of these idiosyncrasies, know that they are just part of the charm of a Sword of Moonlight game.

EDITED: Meant to add that I recently noticed that if you look closely you can see the sky indoors in KF2/just KF in the states (US)

I am in the process of rectifying most all of this stuff via a custom programmed extension framework (see the Ex stuff floating around here)

You can remap the keyboard with Ex and take full advantage of your control pad via it if you're willing to invest that much into playing the game.

Some resolutions make the menu textures miss align on the odd pixel, but otherwise bigger is better, and you probably won't see much performance gain from lower resolution unless your playing in 16bit mode.... which personally I like for the stark effects, but Todd does not recommend for DD.

PS: I never actually used the starting dagger so don't expect to be without a better weapon for very long. I went thru most of the game with the Leather Studded top, but I think Todd added more armor or something to later releases. I rather liked the Gladiatorial esthetic of the armor, but I think that might be lost now.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 09:29:08 am by Holy Diver »

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 09:33:28 am »
This also reminds me... I was going to ask Todd, but I think I may as well ask everyone...

I've noticed often, especially in menus / changing menus, the controls are not responsive. Like sometimes I really have to work to move the selected menu and press the enter key to navigate to it. I'm guessing this may have been something that was fixed by the patch (on the From' website) because I do a lot of work with the original exes (because I've never bothered to run the patch over my Japanese install) ...either way I'm wondering if anyone else ever has this problem?

If I had to guess I'd say DirectInput is not being polled accurately. In the back of my mind I wonder if Ex is causing this, but I don't think so. I don't know if I've ever had this problem with DD or not.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 11:16:52 am »
To WOJO-

I have contemplated raising the draw distance and releasing a version for folks with top end machines that won't see any significant graphical lag from it.  I wish SOM could be optimized to run better, but I think it may just be that it was designed for older directx code maybe?

If you would be interested in that, I could send you a patched version with a higher draw distance.  For that matter I suppose I could do the opposite (and had considered doing so) for folks with lower end machines.

To Holy-
Yes, I see this ALOT more on my vista machine than on my xp one.  In fact a majority of the time my Vista machine will just flat out stop responding from controller pad inputs until i exit game and restart it.  Keyboard functions always seem to work just fine though.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 01:07:33 pm »
I have contemplated raising the draw distance and releasing a version for folks with top end machines that won't see any significant graphical lag from it.  I wish SOM could be optimized to run better, but I think it may just be that it was designed for older directx code maybe?

I don't know that further draw distances would change anything really. The distance already seems pretty far for a KF game (or am I wrong?)

To Holy-
Yes, I see this ALOT more on my vista machine than on my xp one.  In fact a majority of the time my Vista machine will just flat out stop responding from controller pad inputs until i exit game and restart it.  Keyboard functions always seem to work just fine though.

What I'm curious about is more like sometimes key presses are just lost (have no effect) ...it might occur with controller buttons also but I'm only positive I've seen it with the keyboard. Anyway I will keep trying to get to the bottom of it over time, though not necessarily very intentionally. My gut is this is something that was fixed in the patch, but I was wondering if people have been plagued by it. Speaking of which the KF1 game that installs off the disc is plagued by the un-patched exe. We should definitely prepare a stand-alone download of the KF1 game built with a patch Som installation. I have a feeling just swapping out the exe's in the game folder would go a long way towards fixing it, but I also know there are differences in the files output by a patched build. I want to translate the KF1 remake pretty soon also, as soon as we work out all the bugs via the DD translation process.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 01:54:44 pm »
I agree, the draw distance was made to mimic KF1-3, but for people who may want something better I could increase it in some of the inside areas.

I have some of the same issues as you describe Holy.  I will get some key presses that never register, and then sometimes i get a little lag then it runs through all my keypresses like 5 seconds after I pressed them.

As for KF1, I think John has already prepared a translated version and was due to release it with his up to date SOM translation he had talked about a bit ago.

Though i have not heard from John in some time.  Hopefully everything is ok on his end still.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 02:56:08 pm »
Well if you have a version that "runs through all my keypresses like 5 seconds after I pressed them" I would think that exe must have some form of buffering implemented unless your driver somehow sends the keys later (that could also be related to your limited keyboard hardware you discussed before)

I guess I'll have to do a lot more tests to figure out what is really going on, but if this isn't fixed in the patched exe I'd like to correct it asap because it would be a serious quality control priority.

As for KF1 I talked with John a good deal about this not long ago. My understand was the new KF1 translation John was on the verge of releasing was an improved version of his PSOne translation, and furthermore he had no plans regarding the KF1 remake / was not enthusiastic about taking it on / thought there would be probs, but nevertheless would try to help out with an Ex based translation effort if only by releasing the raws from his PSOne work or something for people to piece together.

Offline WOJOxDJC

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 08:02:03 pm »
I didnt mean to offend by referring to this game as a "mod". I do have a basic understanding as to how it was developed and I just use the term "mod" loosely. Did not mean to imply that this took any less work to make than any other game.

I am holding off on playing this until I can find my XBOX 360 controller as using the keyboard doesnt do it justice. Kings Field was one of my favorite series, and I wish theyd resurrect it. You guys have done the hardcore fans a serious service and Id like to say thank you.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 09:21:20 pm »
I didnt mean to offend by referring to this game as a "mod". I do have a basic understanding as to how it was developed and I just use the term "mod" loosely. Did not mean to imply that this took any less work to make than any other game.

Who's offended... it's just not good to let a wrong idea linger (they have a way of propagating themselves)