Author Topic: Hello  (Read 30226 times)

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
Hello
« on: February 08, 2010, 04:41:47 pm »
Hello fellow editors, nice to meet you.

I feel that this is a friendly board, and ive seen alot of good inputs from regular users, so i feel happy and pleased to be a part of it.  :rainbow:

So ive a few small questions, ive been editing on SoM for a while now and essentially taught myself the basics (along with some tutorial references from the main site), but i need help with more advanced areas.

Firstly, i need to know how to move onto the next part of an event. If i have an event that follows say two lines in the event leaf summary, the character or event will only produce 1 line. Say [01] is read, and there is no movement onto [02] even if its start condition requirements are nothing. Do i need to use counter values for this?

Secondly, i'd like to know how to remove the roof tiles from map pieces. I use blender if thats any help.

Thirdly i'd like to know how to create simple objects and put them into the SoM folder, i'd like to create some bamboo so if anyone can give me some help there, id be really thankful.

Thanks!  :biggrin:

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 08:25:47 pm »
Well you are in the right place, and welcome, its nice to have you aboard!

To move forward in any event you need to use the 'control active leaf' function within an event itself.

For example...if you wanted to have a character say a couple different things each time you interact with them you would set up an event with leaf 01 using display message (standard) followed by a control active leaf.  See the picture below.

You only have to add counter values if you need the event to happen under certain conditions...like if a player is a certain level, or has a certain item.

For map pieces and objects...shoot me an email at tdufore@neo.rr.com and I will give you everything I know to get you started.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 07:32:30 am »
Thanks alot dmp, appreciated.

Emailing you now.  :biggrin:

Offline Madison Lastrega

• Decked in Promeus
  • Do, or do not, there is no try...... ~yoda~
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 03:38:53 pm »
Bamboo?.........Did someone mention Bamboo? What would you like to see made out of bamboo? I will hook you up? I am a blender user as well and have had my share of trials, but am a confident builder now, so any tips , just ask and if there is a model giving you a hard time, send upload it and one of us is sure to have an answer or fix:) DMP is a great builder, and his models inspired me to do a full custom som set......And if you need texture advice, there is none better than Darchangel, I usually give him my models to play with and he makes them look Pretty.REAL PRETTY.....So your amongst friends here, Hope to help you out very soon , and ......Happy Modeling

PS I know you dig Blender and all, I myself model everything in it, I tried other high end software, blender just works better, and it's free, BUT you really need to get the basics of Metasequoia, For meta has simplified texturing options that are easier to use than Blender, AND even once you have Python 2.6 installed, the X format export option is not as effecient as Metasequioa, Therefor models exported to x with blender sometimes fail and don't retain textures.... Models exported to X with Metasequioa, are 9 times out of 10 perfect... So like I did get atleast a little familair with the basics of Metasequoia, and for detailed Metasequoia Advice there is NONE BETTER than Darchangel....
ML

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 08:45:42 am »
Well you are in the right place, and welcome, its nice to have you aboard!

To move forward in any event you need to use the 'control active leaf' function within an event itself.

For example...if you wanted to have a character say a couple different things each time you interact with them you would set up an event with leaf 01 using display message (standard) followed by a control active leaf.  See the picture below.

You only have to add counter values if you need the event to happen under certain conditions...like if a player is a certain level, or has a certain item.

For map pieces and objects...shoot me an email at tdufore@neo.rr.com and I will give you everything I know to get you started.

Don't forget to mention the bug in that instruction when changing the "active leaf" of another event. Ie. if you do so the present event/leaf will short circuit (end)

PS: If you just go knocking out the ceilings of map pieces (guessing what you mean) you will very likely experience weird effects where stuff around the piece becomes invisible, because Som assumes you can't see thru the ceiling of such pieces and therefore tries not to display stuff you shouldn't be able to see. I don't think we actually know how to customize existing graphics in pieces yet other than textures. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 08:51:36 am by Holy Diver »

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 07:04:33 am »
Bamboo?.........Did someone mention Bamboo? What would you like to see made out of bamboo?

I'd just like to make a simple bamboo tree, so that it can be added to outdoor textures. Ideally, it would have short branches with leaves and possibly one or two bamboo development rings on the stem.

I am trying with blender, i think i almost had my piece, but i am unable to get my file changed, so it can be read by SoM, i tried using TIM viewer to scan the raw file, but i didnt get any further than that.

Thanks Holy Diver i will bear that bug in mind. SoM seems quite buggy in alot of areas really. Oh, i also downloaded the patch a while ago, but i havent been able to get the English language update on it.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 11:33:00 am »
I think basically youre going to want to get the blender file into metasequoia somehow.  I have never used blender, but I know it can be done.

ML will probably post a how to on that since he has become well versed in it.

Once you get it into Meta, just let me know and I can certainly help you with the rest.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Madison Lastrega

• Decked in Promeus
  • Do, or do not, there is no try...... ~yoda~
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 01:57:05 pm »
Alright, heres what you need to do.  (1) once your happy with your blender results, click file> Export.

(2) Meta works well with OBJ files, so I would recomend exporting to OBJ. Export to obj in a place you can find.

(3) open metasequoia(shareware VER) and click File>open, open your OBJ file *Meta is not as intense as blender so you will have to correct the brightness of of your phongs or blinns or whatever mats you used, * ALSO IMPORTANT... you must assighn a texture(s) to ALL surfaces or they will look funny in SOM.... OK once it looks pretty simular as the blender version save as an MQO file of the same name..

(4) Open MetaesquoiaLE (freeware version) open your Meta file, Click Save as, From the dropdown down menu select Direct X or .X...Save as an .x file of the same name. USE CAMEL TYPE it's better for .x files and ease of converting..IE  'NewModelFile.x'

(5) go to your hard drive and in your C:\ drive make a simple new Folder name liked 'NEW'.. Store all your textures and the X file, and the x2mdo tool in that folder..... Finally click Start>Run type command..... then 'cd:\' (Without ' ofcourse) then type 'cd\new' now simply type 'x2mdo.exe newmodelfile.x'  if you have everything in there and your model is less than 12,500 k you now have a working SoM model made from blender:) Happy Modeling........ PS to answer your email add my name to your pm list and if I am home when you are, I WILL walk you through this process or building map pieces:) and just for your info Map pieces are 200x200 Centimeters or 2x2 meters don't use feet or iunches as Som was made in japan:)........My PM is madisonivxviv@hotmail.com please add me to your list :)

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 11:32:10 am »
Hi having problems again.

I made a model, added the texture in meta and exported it as an x file.

I added the texture picture into the som tools.

When i try to convert in cmd > x2mdo it says the file cannot be read.

Also i put another object from blender into meta. I had the object but when i added the texture in the materials panel, it wasnt shown, even in the rendering. I exported it anyway into SoM, the object was shown but no texture.

Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 04:29:49 pm »
You may need to add a file called something like d3drm.dll to the folder. If so I'm not positive about that name. Others know better.