Author Topic: Game doesnt load up main menu  (Read 3860 times)

Offline WOJOxDJC

• Long Sword Swinger
Game doesnt load up main menu
« on: February 07, 2010, 06:29:03 am »
Ok so Ill admit I havent done that much research on any potential fixes for my issue, but I also realize this is a small community and using google isnt gonna help me much. So yeah, I double click the "game" icon in the dd6new folder I extracted. Black screen for about 10 seconds or so. Loadds up a video of gameplay, then gets to a screen with an island and it saysDark Destiny across it, and it hangs on this screen. Attempting to ctrl-alt-dlt or alt-tab brings me to a nasty desktop that forces me to restart the computer. Any ideas?

I just discovered this game (or mod) and I am totally geeked to play it. Im a huge fan of the whole series, and of course, Demons Souls. Exploring the Kings Field game worlds was the highlight (or one of) of my gaming career. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
Re: Game doesnt load up main menu
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 09:17:24 am »
Thats definitely an issue I have never heard of yet...but let's get some more info.

Give us some specs on your computer.

O/S-
Graphics Card-
Direct X Version-

I dont know why it would get to that screen and never have the buttons show up, but I am curious have you tried hitting the spacebar on that screen to see if it will launch a new game eventhough the buttons don't show up?

Also are you running the game with SOMex installed or just from the download on the main page?
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline WOJOxDJC

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 12:31:33 pm »
O/S- Windows XP Proffessional (service pack 3)
Graphics Card- Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family  (384 MB)
Direct X Version- 9.0c

Im on a laptop with an admittedly crappy video card. However, I am able to run a lot of 3D games with settings on low, such as Torchlight, Command and Conquer Generals, and even Hellgate London.

With 2 GBs of Ram and a dual core processor, Im thinking this game should run fine on it.

I did try pressing spacebar at the final screen it reaches, as well as esc. No effect.

I downloaded the game from cnet (version 1.0.6), but I havent installed the Sword of Moonlight toolset, so Im thinking thats where the problem lies. I just discovered this whole project last night and I was very tired lol. Going to install it now, Ill keep you posted. Thanks!

Offline WOJOxDJC

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 12:54:28 pm »
Ok I just installed the SoM toolset, tried running the game, and I get the same results. Do I need to place the Dark Destiny folder into the SoM directory somewhere? I cant find detailed instructions on this anywhere, so I dont think its necessary to do. Not sure though!

Offline WOJOxDJC

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 01:12:00 pm »
One more bit of information. When I alt tab out of the game to the desktop, Im unable to go back to the game, although it is still running and I can hear the music. When the game was hanging on the Island screen before there was no sound.

Offline WOJOxDJC

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 02:10:56 pm »
Update! Well I got it running. I ran dxdiag and disabled directdraw. The good news is I now get the option to start new game. The bad news is its virtually unplayable.

Before I disabled the directdraw, the error message I was getting when minimizing the game was "The igxprd32 display driver has stopped working normally".

I fear I may be unable to play this game properly with my current hardware configuration... I still have faith however, and I look forward to any advice you may be able to give me on configuring my software and drivers. Thanks again!

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 10:14:40 pm »
I found the below post on another forum for your specific error...your issue is definitely driver related...and ya directdraw must be enabled to play the game.

See if you can follow this post and maybe fix your proble?

-- ----------
Actually, hey. I found a temporary solution for this problem. First, uninstall the driver.

To do this, go to your desktop, right click on 'My Computer' and select 'Manage'. Computer Management will then open. Select 'Device Manage' on the left side of the panel, and find your display drivers. Right click on the name of the display driver and choose 'Uninstall'.

Reboot your computer.

Open up Internet Explorer, and click on Tools>Windows Update. After proceeding to the Welcome Page, select Custom update. The webpage will check your computer for latest Windows Installations and Drivers. It will recognize that you should update a video driver when clicking on "Hardware, Optional" on the left side of the screen and will direct you to an outdated version of the driver that does not cause igxprd32 errors.

Edit: I believe this is the driver that I have installed

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-69460.html

Message Edited by vinyardat on 03-04-2009 09:23 AM
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline WOJOxDJC

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 12:46:14 am »
Well I tried your advice, to no avail. It would seem fate doesnt want me playing this. Thats ok Ive got 2 other computers I can give it a shot with at my folks house down the street. Itll give me something to do when Im bored over there lol. Thanks for all the help, and I cant wait to try it.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 02:06:29 am »
You don't need to install Som ("the Som Toolset") in order to play Som made games. Neither are the games mods. If you're on an XP machine you just need to be sure your drivers are backwards compatible with DirectX7 (implement the DirectX 7 interfaces)

Your graphics adapter sounds a little funky to me. Usually a graphics card uses ATI or nVidia chipsets these days. It's possible your card doesn't do hardware acceleration if it's made by Intel (in which I'd guess it's more of a chip than an actual card) ...Intel based graphics hardware would probably be software based. In which case you'd need to be sure the game is using the DirectX7 software Direct3DDevice interface / that is implemented. It's just speculation but maybe your're playing your other games with a software device, and maybe DirectX7 is not implemented for that device. I really don't recommend playing Som with the software renderer. I use it a lot for testing purposes and it's very inferior and not at all consistent. Really you never know what to expect from the software device.

You might get some results from editing the ini file in order to set device=0 (software mode)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 02:10:43 am by Holy Diver »