Author Topic: Termites as sounds wish list?  (Read 1626 times)

Offline Madison Lastrega

• Decked in Promeus
  • Do, or do not, there is no try...... ~yoda~
Termites as sounds wish list?
« on: January 21, 2010, 12:15:01 am »
A little while ago I had an idea that objects needed sound , Ie Waterfalls, lava, riversounds ect... John came up with a brilliant idea for custom sound files (however SoM can only preload 15 FOR THE WHOLE GAME Bleah (Serious design Flaw).... And then I said "Why can't we change the sounds for an enemy an make it invisable?", and sure enough Todd was smart enough to make a reality, and he made me a cute little termite guy that was perfect for any waterfall, and believe me it will get used a bunch for me... I asked him to maybe make me a few more while he still has SoM in his blood:) and of course once again he had a great idea:) A list of like 10 or so ambiant sound effects ...... These are my top ten ... And the the first 6 I kinda need (wink Wink). Other folks whom are building thier own project in SoM should please input feedback and submitt your top ten sounds, and maybe we will get some life in ALL our games, and for anyone who have not tried it, Believe me it's very worth it, my little termite guy is perfect and fades away from left to right , just perfectly, And I am looking forward to any other ones he creates.... Props to Todd for making my little idea an awesome reality, So OTHERS please submit a list if your working on an SoM Game:) Thanks ML

(1) Lava
(2) Wind
(3) A brook sound effect like a flowing River
(4) A flame or fireplace sound
(5) Crickets for forest
(6) Crowd Noises for a tavern or castle with more than 5 occupants in one place
(7) Stable noises like a horse scuffling around,
(8) bushes or shrubs rustling
(9) Waterfall *I have it,  reposting for others to see how awesome it is*
(10) water drips with echo for like a cavern or cave (very creepy)

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
Re: Termites as sounds wish list?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 08:56:41 am »
I wanted to note for anyone that adds the waterfall enemy.

Make sure to place it somewhere the player cannot reach, (behind a wall or something) because I could not get it to work at 0 size.  At 0 size the enemy does not work right and seems to be falling through the floor.  It has caused me two different problems...one it doesnt always reappear ( i think it falls to the -20 level on the map at 0 size) and the second issue is I have had it crash the game.  So it does have to have a size value > 0. 

Additionally, you should place it to appear "normally" and checkmark unlimited.  Also uncheck the shadow so there is no shadow wherever you place it...thats all!
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Re: Termites as sounds wish list?
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 03:28:39 am »
Not sure it can be done so easily out right but this reminds me footsteps on different surfaces always add a lot to atmosphere. What KF-like From' games have had footsteps I wonder??

PS: If someone wants to collect the footstep sounds I'm sure I could make them work with Som as long as you loaded a counter with a number for the kind of footsteps you want (via variously placed trigger events)

PPS: Even much sooner it might be possible to control acoustic type effects via counters so you the sounds seem to be coming from different types of rooms (has anyone tried Som with like 5.1 sorround sound yet?)

EDITED: I'd like to know if these are used...

#define DSSPEAKER_HEADPHONE         0x00000001
#define DSSPEAKER_MONO              0x00000002
#define DSSPEAKER_QUAD              0x00000003
#define DSSPEAKER_STEREO            0x00000004
#define DSSPEAKER_SURROUND          0x00000005
#define DSSPEAKER_5POINT1           0x00000006

I don't see many options for environmental effects in Direct Sound 7, but it might be relatively simple to upgrade the sound to DX8 which I'm pretty sure does have a wide range of options.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 03:40:20 am by Holy Diver »