Author Topic: Please Help: Game keeps crashing at Ebon demon of earth!  (Read 6102 times)

Offline kingsfieldfan

• Long Sword Swinger
Please Help: Game keeps crashing at Ebon demon of earth!
« on: January 16, 2010, 02:11:47 pm »
first off great game, and very very very hard :crying:.

My problem is the game keeps crashing at "Ebon - the demon of earth - the confrontation", the screen just after you use the earth crystal, it just says the diaduim of maunstrat is not working and closes the program, I am using windows Vista, and have the the latest game with patch v.1.4 installed.

Could someone please help and tell me a work around, for I am enjoying the game, and do not want to give up after putting all this effort into the game.

Thanks in advance to anyone how helps.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Re: Please Help: Game keeps crashing at Ebon demon of earth!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 03:49:09 pm »
If you made it that far that is a little odd. Possibly one of the files is corrupted, either during your download, or during the upload to the host where you downloaded it. Or could be a bad patch.

Btw: I've actually seen just this kind of behavior while working with DoM before.I had to remove a specific item from the project to make it stop happening, and to this day I've no clue why. I'd like to put the item back eventually. If it's not some sort of corruption then it's probably more a flaw in Som than DoM in particular.

I got stuck with a bad event in DoM. I was able to run my game thru the editor in debug mode which gave me more freedom / allowed me to get over a hump and salvage my saved game. That's about the only advice I can personally offer other than redownloading/copying your save over and trying again.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 03:56:44 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline Hguols

• Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 03:57:31 pm »
Where are you meeting Ebon for the boss fight? 
If its in the Earth Lair, you don't have the latest patch installed.
Patch 1.4 on, you should meet him in Castle Imbrium for the boss fight.

Are you running the game in compatibility mode?

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.

Offline kingsfieldfan

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 08:09:46 am »
Thank you holy diver, I have tried all that and it still is not working!

Thank you hguols, I have tried all that and it is still crashing, very strange, there must be a major bug somewhere in the code, it is a great game, but this is very annoying.

Could someone please email a save with earth, wind, water crystal, to me PLEASE, so I can play from there and hopefully it will work.

Also the fiery key I can not find anywhere I even looked at the map of the fire liar on the walkthru guide, and where it is supposed to be, it is not there.

I want to play this game past this point, would someone help :doh:.

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions, even to no avail, I still thank you.

HELP ME! :biggrin:.

If anyone is looking for a game tester for any other projects, than I will test your game, cause I am good at finding bugs, as you can see :tongue:.

Offline Hguols

• Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 10:16:40 am »
There are a few saves on the Diadem of Maunstraut website, in the "guides and spoils" section.
http://www.kings-field.com/som/dom/

I'm not sure why you would be having the problems that you are. 
They're definitely uncommon.

(well that problem at least, DoM is pretty buggy just because SoM is pretty buggy.)

...and that's why I'm betting something got corrupted in your save, rather than something wrong with the program itself.

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 02:53:26 pm »
I am curious if you updated to 1.4 partway through playing?

There are many aspects of SOM-made games that are not backwards compatible with prior version save games...such things include removing an enemy/object/item that is placed on a map from the game...moving an object's placement will not show up in the save game, and removing entire events will also break save games.

If you were playing to begin with on a version older than 1.4 and then updated, that would account for some of the bugs you are seeing.

If that is the case, the only way to get back to finishing the game would be to start from scratch...or use one of Tom's save games.

I have recently completed the earth area in Tom's game and did not run into any issues whatsoever, so I am guessing the scripting of the game should be just fine if on 1.4
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 12:01:11 am »
Alright...I started a quick game to get you back to where you should be...

I have completed the earth lair, defeated the boss (twice by the way Tom, he is showing up outside the earth lair door when I exit with the crystal, and I had to kill him after using the crystal at the confrontation area is this the way it should be working?)

I already took the liberty of getting you the wind key from the pedestal, and have unlocked the water switch (you still need to go get the key though)

so you will have to grab the water key and move on from there.  See if you can load this save game and continue from there.

Note, copy your save game before overwriting it!
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 05:33:35 pm »
^I think you fight the boss(es) again in the Tower of Shadows area.

PS: Whenever I've seen DoM crash like this it wasn't save game related (no save game was being used) ...I wish you had made a save before going into the earth lair kffan could've tested. I wonder if automatic savegame revisions (backups) would be helpful ever?? At least it would be a way to generate a ton of savegames at different points of the game.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 05:38:42 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline kingsfieldfan

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 11:03:00 am »
Thanks Hgouls for the info :smile:.

Thanks Dmpdesign for the save and the Info, and no I did not update game while playing I had the latest update from start of game :cool:.

A very good idea Holy Diver, it would save me and a few other people a ton of headaches, these games are so addictive :biggrin:.

Thanks again to everyone, your help is much appreciated, I am off to play the game again YEAHHH!

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 11:34:31 am »
If you need any help with what has/has not been completed in that save game let me know.

And don't tell Tom I hacked it a bit to give myself a faster run through the first couple areas...the 999 hit points will be our secret :P
Site Founder