Author Topic: First impressions?  (Read 6346 times)

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
First impressions?
« on: December 28, 2009, 09:13:09 am »
So far I have heard that some of the starting enemies are a bit too difficult...I would like to get some feedback from folks who have gotten to about level 12-15 to see if they felt the beginning areas were too hard?

It was also suggested that more save points be added?  How does everyone feel about that?
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Madison Lastrega

• Decked in Promeus
  • Do, or do not, there is no try...... ~yoda~
Re: First impressions?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 12:07:05 pm »
Hey Todd, I think it is just fine the way it is.... Remember KF2US?  until like level 10 a skeleton in quist could One-Hit you.  Yet with timing and skill I have beaten both of them upon starting the game on level 1. So the point is all KF based games require hit an move fighting to advance. and the players skill is always a variant. Now Tom's first game now THATS a hard game in the begining... Damb his ants in the start of that game.... I died like a 10 times until I got the feel of the ants attack.  And Save points nahhh, remember KF1US? You always had to plan your advancement carefully due to lack of saves, but that was one of the things that gave the game it's luster and one of the reasons it was so awesome..... Now Tom's game, you gotta save like everywhere.  In Tom's defence though, he warns people in his manual..... "This game is hard" "I(Tom) die ALOT
and I built the game" you have to respect Tom for his honestly and you sorta know that the game will be hard till you level up. Anyway I hope my advice helps, just my opinion. But if your game is too easy then it will lose it's KF appeal.... KF was hard in it's self your game is PART of that legecy... Your game ROCKS as it stands.. like I said before it's the only game I have touched sinced I started on my project back in October, so that says something there:)   ML

Offline darchangel

• Mace Masher
  • Guardian of the Light
    • http://www.kings-field.com
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 01:44:48 pm »
Kings Field has always been a slow, methodical game. If you can breeze through it, then it no longer is KF.

I think I've died 100 times so far...but half of those times is my attack button not responding when I press it.

However I do hate those damn slimes at the start, you have to look down to strike them and if you get distracted someone will get you from behind. Just you wait until I get some firepower, I'll burn them all to hell.

I did notice quite a few of the enemies tend to reach further then you would think. Think you're far enough and safe then all of the sudden they smack you upside the head.

There is one Save Point (by the Fairy Forest) that does not work...or was it meant to be that way?

So I'll agree with ML, everything is fine the way it is.
He who was born with the light, will die with the light...rage against the dying of the light.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 03:55:21 pm »
I agree John..the necron blade does need revised...I tried it out ~level 30 and it was definitely the weapon of choice due to its speed.

I do assume you have the stargate/key by now and had no problem warping to a save point once you got that far?

I am contemplating adding the findable armor I removed from the first couple areas to give people a better fighting chance against the first few mobs...and I think I probably should reduce the green slime's hit points by a strike or two.

Please keep me up to date with suggestions..you guys really are my beta testers and my first real feedback!
Site Founder

Offline Anima Zero

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 11:27:26 am »
Been playing this the last couple of days.  ~4 hours or so logged thus far (Not an exact number because my timer glitched itself), at level 18, and about to go claim Harvine's Key.

Beginning was fun.  Getting one hit killed by a slime at lv1 with no armor equipped was very unexpected, that's for sure.  I did get a good chuckle out of it though.

I do remember selling my map I got early on just so I could afford some armor to hopefully survive at least one hit from a slime if anything went wrong.

Finding that first save point was a refreshing moment for me.  Meant I didn't have to be quite as careful for a little while exploring the beginning.

Things have been less stressful ever since I got my first heal spell and some crystal flasks yesterday.

I'll also echo the opinion that Necron's Blade at lv2 is a little too good.  Not that much weaker than my previously equipped weapon, if any, but has a much much quicker recharge time.

Gonna try to find that lure for the first quest you get today (I hope).  I'd assume it's somewhere around the western part of the island (I think that's what it's called...the KF1US area basically), but there's one entrance blocked by rocks that I can't get past and another spot behind a waterfall with a lock requiring what I would assume is the same kind of item needed in KF1US.

Suggestions/Improvements thus far...

1. Necron's Blade lv2 oughta get a nerf.  A bit too overpowered compared to equipment you have around that time.

2. Maybe a piece or two of findable armor early on so beginners don't get eaten by slimes like I did :P?

That's all I can really think of right now.  We'll see if anything else crops up as I play.

Great game thus far!
"I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero..." Zero, Mega Man Zero 4

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 12:33:42 pm »
Make sure you grab the boots under the bed in your house.  I used to have a few more pieces of gear in the first area...maybe I will add them back in.

Before you go too far into the quest line..be sure to download the new patch available on the dd site.  If you don't you may have some problems.

Jose Harven on the west shore will tell you something about the lost lure...its in another area of the game though...somewhere in the southeast portion.

I think I will tone down the slimes though...they really are quite overpowered.
Site Founder

Offline Anima Zero

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 01:28:29 pm »
I downloaded and got the patch setup yesterday before I activated any quests so I'm set there.

Boots at the start eh?  Guess I didn't search the house well enough.  I just got the weapon and went about my business.

I did talk to Jose, but that was before I activated the quest.  He had nothing new to say after I took it (Once I patched up of course).  Damned if I can remember what he said before, but if it's around the SE portion of the game, then I think I'm still good.

Then again, there's always that slim chance I managed to kick off after accepting that quest, but before I managed to save my game.  I do remember that happening with the knights around Harvine's Castle, me trying to fight them, and pretty much getting owned as a result when I was lower leveled.  Don't think that's the case though since I'm fairly certain I saved after taking the quest.

On the plus side I finally got the Star Gate (By going back to the beginning to see if there was anything I could get now that I had a higher level + stats).  Bought my Star Key, started plundering everything.

One more minor thing I want to check (Want to see if that mayor that wanted me to remove that ore in a nearby cave will stop being a prick and give me the key to the city because I already got that ore.  I doubt it :P), then I get to decide what area to check out next.

"I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero..." Zero, Mega Man Zero 4

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 02:18:30 pm »
Lol, no he won't give you any key....I did forget to add some of his script though..I just realized.

He should have had one more thing to say:

"You will have the town key over my dead body!"

perhaps you could oblige him?
Site Founder

Offline Anima Zero

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 02:21:51 pm »
Heh, shoulda figured that would be an option.  Kill someone when they don't give what you want and it won't lead to some negative effect down the road :P!

I'll check it out a little later today.

Offline Anima Zero

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 06:47:16 pm »
Well, checked out that mayor, sent him packing, searched everywhere around the area to collect a few things.

Went to the Dark Caves/Earth Caves.  Scored some new armor in the Dark Caves, found an ore in a wall at the Earth Caves that I couldn't remove.  I'd assume that's the Gaia Stone or whatever I needed to give to someone.  Just need to figure out how to take it out.

Next to that ore, found a sealed door and what would appear to be a larger Earth Elemental.  Will have to figure out how to get that door opened.

Next, the Eastern Shore.  Lots of stuff to uncover here.  Save points, death (As in me getting killed by a mambo size set of evil vines), a new key, and a couple weapons.

One weapon I got which I basically killed myself for because I apparently assumed wrongly that there was no way to escape the island with the Shiden like in KF1US.

I also assumed wrongly that I forgot to put my Star Key into a pedestal because I did...yet it never got removed from my inventory strangely enough.  Namely the pedestal near the entrance to the Eastern Shore and the pedestal by Leon's house are affected with this anomaly.  One other one I tried was not bugged this way.  If I had, say, 4 Star Keys and none inserted in a pedestal, then insert one into a non afflicted pedestal, they all go poof (but I get the key back if I take it out thankfully).

Another odd bug regarding that death I brought unto myself at the Shiden.  Good thing I had a Dragon Crystal to save my rear there.

Thing is, it didn't get removed from my inventory when I was revived at the Golden Fountain.  As a sign of fairness, I consumed it since I assume that's the normal course of action for this matter.

Still haven't found that lure (If it's at the Eastern Shore, I didn't see it).  Then again, when I stumbled on a chance to look at my Gun Powder's description, I kinda wanted to kick myself.  Should have been able to figure out that it needed to be put into a cannon.

Will take that and my new key back to the Western Shore.  Should also be another key I need to locate to open certain chests that my Harvine's Key could not.  Namely the two chests near his castle guarded by knights.