Author Topic: Kayef (working title)  (Read 7307 times)

Offline johnnypark66

• Mace Masher
Kayef (working title)
« on: December 23, 2009, 03:29:04 pm »
My obsession with changing every texture in the game has taken a long time just to complete my first map.

Here are some main ideas my game will bring to the table and I'm hoping Holy Diver (Dio fan, right?) and the rest of the experts will help me bring these ideas to life:

Exploration - I think every king's field fan will take thier favorite aspect about the game and expand it. I noticed that Hgouls' "Diadem of Maunstraut" was very combat focused and intense and I think it's a great game that reflects the maker's intent on making that the goal of the game ("Trismisgestus" was also a deliberate style). The intention of my game is to focus on environment and sense of adventure by diminishing the usual amount of monsters to a powerful few. Using equal amounts of puzzles and monsters achieving a slower amount of action but making up for it in awe of the environment.

Contrast - You start off in a town that is brimming with life and NPCs. No monsters and beautiful architecture and people to talk to. This is your home and will enhance NPC interaction and safeness as much as possible. As soon as the hero leaves his town, the qualities of loneliness, desolation and hopelessness will be the only companion. Environments unspoiled by his own race and some ruins of unknown ancients as he seeks for rare herbal ingredients to save the dwindling kingdom(see story). The farther you go out venturing from home, the more you see the security disapear as you trudge through the unknown in solitude.   

Story - In the ultimate role reversal, you will be playing the Lord of a Village. Your home is a castle and you have your own townspeople to look after. Instead of being a pauper with nothing to lose, you stand to lose everything as a deadly disease begins to ravish your country. As fortune has it, You are the Lord of the farthest town on the outskirts of the kingdom. The King (very ill himself) has sent a message to your town charging you with the task of finding a cure for this grave ailment. Struck by a sense of duty, you leave your commander in charge to protect the town, vow to enter into the mountain regions and find a hermit who is studying medicine there. The Fate of the kingdom rests in your ability to work with the hermit to find a cure and rid the kingdom's pestilence before it reaches your own town destroying everything you have.

more info as game is updated... should have a small demo out soon (the town only) as the kinks get worked out.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
Re: Kayef (working title)
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 04:25:27 pm »
:)

Sounds sweet so far.  I know I probably say this everytime, but I do really love the major differences that different game makers can bring to the table eventhough they are using the same toolset.

I can't wait to play a demo, it always offers so much insite into the ideas and creativity of the person making the game.  I always find that people use the available objects/items etc in a manner I never considered and it really wows me to see how cool things can be with the same objects that I may have not done anything interesting with in my game.

I cannot stress enough how much I hope everyone that starts a game sees it through to the end, no matter how long it may take!
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline johnnypark66

• Mace Masher
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 04:44:00 pm »
As soon as i figure out to run it in 1024x600, I'll continue it (new laptop, didn't forsee this problem)... I do have a ready made demo of the town if you would help me with advice on what i have to do to let other people play, but it has lots of bugs i need help with... I would really love to see this go to completion.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 06:24:32 pm »
If you want any assistance getting the game ready for demoing I can surely help you out...but I would likely need to see your project files etc.

If you just need space to host the download files for the runtime etc that is cool too.  I can get you access to the ftp server to upload your demo and keep it up to date on the forums.

Throw me an email at tdufore@neo.rr.com and let me know what you have in mind and we can get it all worked out.
Site Founder

Offline johnnypark66

• Mace Masher
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 09:27:01 pm »
e-mail with demo attached sent

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 09:41:37 pm »
ok, got your files...the trouble youre having with objects etc not having a texture is the way the output files are generated.

the easiest fix is just to zip up your textures directories under item and object and anything else you customized and email me that .rar file as well....then i can put everything together and upload it for you.
Site Founder

Offline johnnypark66

• Mace Masher
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 11:00:27 pm »
ok, well i'm going to spiff it up for the next couple days then send you all the necessary files. thanks

Offline johnnypark66

• Mace Masher
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 10:22:15 am »
I sent you the demo, I put the files in myself should be good to go if you want to host it for a reference to what direction the game is going.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 11:18:08 am »
Site Founder

Offline Madison Lastrega

• Decked in Promeus
  • Do, or do not, there is no try...... ~yoda~
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 12:32:27 pm »
hey Guy Tried your demo...Good Start like your layout...... Just a few observations from a custom model builder myself...... Make a brick house to make your windows match or alter the window it's self to have the ledges out of wood..... (Mygame has 7 house sets built for almost any situation, and 12 window sets for unparalled matching,  not just the basic 3, I still have over 100 map slots left too and ask todd or john how much new goodies I have built) second when I talked to the dude near town and the homie says "come talk to me when you are ready" the game warps to no mans land you might want to work on that:) other than that " tis a lovley start"   happy modeling:) PS like your altered path set , not crazy about the bright green grass. I like the set that was altered for John's install perfect and so easy to customise.  Madison L